8 a.m. classes are a detriment to student learning

Tell that to an Army drill sergeant. Tell that to your boss when/if you seek gainful employment. The most important thing you can learn is to learn to do what you have to do in life.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

17 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

Tell that to an Army drill sergeant. Tell that to your boss when/if you seek gainful employment. The most important thing you can learn is to learn to do what you have to do in life.

Many of the country's most profitable companies have already moved to more of a 10-7 or at the very least more fluid work schedule because they've found their employees are far more productive AND happier at work during those hours. 

Its as if your entire generation was told that if you don't hate your life you're lazy and soft and going to end up destitute and alone.

I'm sorry your parents weren't there for you. They really let you down. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

59 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Many of the country's most profitable companies have already moved to more of a 10-7 or at the very least more fluid work schedule because they've found their employees are far more productive AND happier at work during those hours. 

Its as if your entire generation was told that if you don't hate your life you're lazy and soft and going to end up destitute and alone.

Actually, my father was up every morning about 4:00 a.m. getting ready to work. He ran his own wholesale produce business and made three buying trips to Chicago every week. We also had a retail store on Main St., so if he wasn't off to Chicago he was headed down to the store to check it out. As soon as I was old enough to lift a box of grapes or tomatoes I was "helping" when I didn't have school. Before football season, Dad thought it was good for me to wrestle 100-pound potato sacks so I got to ride to the wholesale market in Chicago every summer and load trucks in the summer every year. After I graduated from high school (1963), Dad asked me "What do you think I've been trying to tell you all these years?" and I said I didn't know.  He said "I've been trying to tell you to go to college, get an education, and don't go into the fucking produce business!".  I was able to handle 8:00 a.m. classes.

Dad taught me a lot about business, a lot about life, and how to be a productive man.  And we had a lot of fun over the years.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 3

If you wakeup/get up at 9:00 .... then 10:00 classes are terrible .... dumb article. It is mostly l about how long you have been up before class. ..... However if you live on the extreme west of a time zone  (West Texas) during the fall before it changes back to normal time ... It is dark at 7:00... Every 300 miles west you live makes the sun come up about 20 min. later.  8:00AM here (Lubbock, Midland)  is 7:00 in Hobbs, N.M. so they get another hour to sleep or whatever and are only a few miles away. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Wow, that is late!

I actually like working early (7am at the latest).   But yeah, if your job has you in a role where you could work 10-7, and the employees be more productive/happy, then by all means, do it.

17 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

10-7 shift sucks.

43 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wow, that is late!

I actually like working early (7am at the latest).   But yeah, if your job has you in a role where you could work 10-7, and the employees be more productive/happy, then by all means, do it.

but America? Army? Snowflake?

8 minutes ago, LongJim said:

10-7 shift sucks.

probably more depends on your life an priorities. I've never really had a gig who offered one, but many of my friends in NYC work such a schedule...no kids, social obligations...it tends to set up better for them...much in the way I could see it benefitting a colleges ki

• Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I've never really had a gig who offered one, but many of my friends in NYC work such a schedule...no kids, social obligations...it tends to set up better for them...much in the way I could see it benefitting a colleges ki

Yeah, to each his own, but I *have* worked that shift, and for me, it sucked.  Too early to get much done in the morning.  Too late to hit businesses that close at 5-6.

But regardless--and as you mention--I'm sure it works for lots of folks.

33 minutes ago, LongJim said:

Yeah, to each his own, but I *have* worked that shift, and for me, it sucked.  Too early to get much done in the morning.  Too late to hit businesses that close at 5-6.

But regardless--and as you mention--I'm sure it works for lots of folks.

A great shift for folks that would need to interact with 9-5 folks who could only get to you during lunch or after 5.

• Upvote 1