Band Talk (from UTSA game)

UNT 90 Grad

band was good...flag core, at least those facing the alumni side, were slow, non energetic, looked like the were going through the motions, look of annoyance on their faces...

Edited by THOR

They (almost) always sound good when they are doing the core of their half-time show. They were okay, but not great.

Their pre-game still sucks. Scurrying out on the field like a bunch of fire ants and then finding their spot is not making an entrance.  And then playing the trio of National Emblem march to get to the middle of the field to stand and play the fight song is......... pathetic. 

And that "march of doom" sounding tune that they played all night irritated me more than it irritated the UTSA football team.

I don't care if they wore their uni's. Just as long as they wear something coordinated that says North Texas on it. I hate their formal unis anyway.......especially that enron-like symbol on the back.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

6.  There seemed to be a big increase in the band playing to drown out the visiting offense

Honest question.  Is there an unwritten rule that the band has to stop playing when the visiting team lines up to snap it?  (Similar to how in hockey the music gets cut off once the puck drops).  I've noticed that too ... the band will play right up until the visiting team snaps it and wasn't sure if that's considered a "no-no" when it comes to that.  Anyone know?

Also, in related band news, it seems we've cut back a ton on the "Fly Like an Eagle" riff (which is nice & distinctive) and replaced it with a ton of the "Seven Nation Army" riff that 95 other colleges play now.

12 minutes ago, vpackrats said:

Honest question.  Is there an unwritten rule that the band has to stop playing when the visiting team lines up to snap it?  (Similar to how in hockey the music gets cut off once the puck drops).  I've noticed that too ... the band will play right up until the visiting team snaps it and wasn't sure if that's considered a "no-no" when it comes to that.  Anyone know?

Also, in related band news, it seems we've cut back a ton on the "Fly Like an Eagle" riff (which is nice & distinctive) and replaced it with a ton of the "Seven Nation Army" riff that 95 other colleges play now.

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/Guidelines_for_Bands_Playing_during_Football_Games.pdf

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, THOR said:

band was good...flag core, at least those facing the alumni side, were slow, non energetic, looked like the were going through the motions, look of annoyance on their faces...

Saw it on the student side too. The amount of give up was incredibly obvious.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, drex said:

UTSA would have brought their band, but the mini-bus was in the shop for repairs.

Actually, it was worse than that. Their loaner broke down before they got to Waco.

200.gif#5-grid1