DRC: Weekly prediction -- UNT will knock off rival UTSA

Brett Vito

34 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I wonder how we will handle linebacker Josiah Tauaefa and defensive end Marcus Davenport

If Fine gets rid of the ball as fast as he has been then it doesn't even matter, but if he hold on to it Davenport will be in the backfield.  So difficult to predict how this game is going to go.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Tauaefa is averaging 4 tackles a game and Davenport is averaging 1/2 a sack a game.  We will win by 14+.

The QB hurries are there a lot though, usually causing them to run into Banks.  

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's going to be very important for Jordan Murray to step up in this game.

That dude is gigantic.  Something I would run away from.  

So far, it seems like the OC's have frustrated Tauaefa with a little game planning.  He caught a lot of people off guard last year.  Still a good player that has to be accounted for however.  It is going to be a fun game to watch.

Really surprised with the effectiveness of Sturm this year.  He had been a pretty pedestrian bus driver previously (similar to future HOF'er and Heart of Dallas Bowl MVP Derek Thompson), but has really put up some nice number this, his senior year.  I hope we can get generate a consistent pass rush.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

So far, it seems like the OC's have frustrated Tauaefa with a little game planning.  He caught a lot of people off guard last year.  Still a good player that has to be accounted for however.  It is going to be a fun game to watch.

Really surprised with the effectiveness of Sturm this year.  He had been a pretty pedestrian bus driver previously (similar to future HOF'er and Heart of Dallas Bowl MVP Derek Thompson), but has really put up some nice number this, his senior year.  I hope we can get generate a consistent pass rush.

He can get to the sideline in a hurry.  Always around the ball.  Reminds me of Tobe Nwigwe.

8 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

He will meet the 18 Wheeler this weekend.

• Thanks 2

On 10/12/2017 at 1:28 PM, greenminer said:

I wonder how we will handle linebacker Josiah Tauaefa and defensive end Marcus Davenport

I believe Tauaefa ended up with lots of tackles (8), but only 3 solo.  I thought we, for the most part, neutralized him.  He did not seem like as much of a factor as last year.  I noticed that he was not getting to the QB as much and we seemed to just run around him more.  It seemed like he was joining the piles after the fact, rather than leading the charge.  He seemed very Fred Scott'ish to me.  Very solid, but seemed a half a step behind the play most of the night.  Saw on the UTSA board that there were some rumblings of his ineffectiveness as well.

Davenport on the other hand...that dude is an absolute beast and was essentially unblockable.  I certainly expect to hear his name called at some point during the draft.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

11 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I believe Tauaefa ended up with lots of tackles (8), but only 3 solo.  I thought we, for the most part, neutralized him.  He did not seem like as much of a factor as last year.  I noticed that he was not getting to the QB as much and we seemed to just run around him more.  It seemed like he was joining the piles after the fact, rather than leading the charge.  He seemed very Fred Scott'ish to me.  Very solid, but seemed a half a step behind the play most of the night.  Saw on the UTSA board that there were some rumblings of his ineffectiveness as well.

Davenport on the other hand...that dude is an absolute beast and was essentially unblockable.  I certainly expect to hear his name called at some point during the draft.

I wholeheartedly agree on Tauaefa. He just looked a little slow for some reason. Maybe dealing with an injury? Who knows. I thought Bass was the better linebacker against us. JT seems more of a run stuffer/blitzer. Seems if you get him out in space he's a lot less dominating.

• Lovely Take 1

SilverEagle and I met Tauaefa's family from Lake Dallas before the game.  Seemed like a great family.  I told them many NT fans who keep up with recruiting were hoping Mac would sign him, and that he was a dumbass for not signing him and that he should be playing for us...and they all busted up laughing.  His brother was very cool as well.  I reminded him of his tweet back in 14' stating we would rue the day not signing his brother.  And was was right.  

Rick.

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Lovely Take 1

18 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

SilverEagle and I met Tauaefa's family from Lake Dallas before the game.  Seemed like a great family.  I told them many NT fans who keep up with recruiting were hoping Mac would sign him, and that he was a dumbass for not signing him and that he should be playing for us...and they all busted up laughing.  His brother was very cool as well.  I reminded him of his tweet back in 14' stating we would rue the day not signing his brother.  And was was right.  

Rick.

Nice update Rick.  Did you happen to get their phone number?  I would like you to stay in touch with them and remind them that we would like for him transfer here for his final two years.  It would be much easier for them to get to all his ball games. ;-)

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

Nice update Rick.  Did you happen to get their phone number?  I would like you to stay in touch with them and remind them that we would like for him transfer here for his final two years.  It would be much easier for them to get to all his ball games. ;-)

LOL he does have a redshirt year... :)

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

55 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick.

Why did they laugh?  Just curious.  Not funny to me.  I wish he was here. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Why did they laugh?  Just curious.  Not funny to me.  I wish he was here. 

I think just hearing someone from our side admit our own fault just cracked them up.  

He wanted to play here and everyone knew it.  And everyone who had seen him play, including those who voted him AP 5A Defensive POY for DFW and  me...knew the guy was damn well good enough. Yet Mac's group wasn't interested.  Our loss but I have to admit...I'm a fan of his and have been since his HS days.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1