George Dunham on UT San Antonio

MGNation92

I’ve beat this drum since about 2013. It works. I’m happy to embrace it. 

I felt in 13 UTSA had nothing to lose and so the only fan group that could take the first hit was NT. 

Now? Beating UTSA would be beating the best team they’ve assembled in their 7 short years. That’s good revenge. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

Just because I want to beat their asses really bad doesn’t mean I consider it a rivalry...I get it, we hate them.  I am realistic about who we are as a program.  I feel like our history, as ugly as it is, still puts us in a place where we should aim higher than them for a rival.  Acknowledging rivalry with UTSA gives them a creditbility I don’t want them to have.  Just another divisional opponent (who I secretly want to beat real real bad). 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, tmjerm said:

Just because I want to beat their asses really bad doesn’t mean I consider it a rivalry...I get it, we hate them.  I am realistic about who we are as a program.  I feel like our history, as ugly as it is, still puts us in a place where we should aim higher than them for a rival.  Acknowledging rivalry with UTSA gives them a creditbility I don’t want them to have.  Just another divisional opponent (who I secretly want to beat real real bad). 

This.^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

While I was in London a while back, I lucked into a brief audience with the Queen. One of the things we discussed was futbol vs. football, pros and cons. One thing led to another and we played an impromptu game of football trivia. I though I had her when I asked if she knew the UTSA hand sign...damned if she didn't get it right!!

200.gif#9-grid1

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Acknowledging rivalry with UTSA gives them a creditbility I don’t want them to have. 

3-1 gives them a credibility you don't want them to have.  Knocking your team out of a possible CUSA championship gives them a credibility you don't want them to have.

Beat their ass consistently and it's not a rivalry.  For now, UTSA probably thinks *they* should "aim higher" for a rival...

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LongJim said:

3-1 gives them a credibility you don't want them to have.  Knocking your team out of a possible CUSA championship gives them a credibility you don't want them to have.

Beat their ass consistently and it's not a rivalry.  For now, UTSA probably thinks *they* should "aim higher" for a rival...

I’m aware of all of these things...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tmjerm said:

Who is someone "higher" that should be our rival? 

Theyre in conference. They don't like us. We don't like them. Seems like a good start to a rivalry to me. 

GMG

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, MrStrange18 said:

Theyre in conference. They don't like us. We don't like them. Seems like a good start to a rivalry to me. 

GMG

We've played four games against them and only one of those games meant anything.  The other three times we stunk or both teams stunk.  Doesn't sound like any type of rivalry.

They are in our conference ... that's a good start.  They are in our division ... that's a good start.  They are in Texas ... that's a good start.  UTSA is as much of a rival to us as Rice or UTEP.  

Consider this:  if either of these teams left the conference and the other stay ... would there be any outcry to continue having games against them?  Nope.  This ain't to rivalry.   Maybe one day ... maybe after Saturday ... but not today.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MrStrange18 said:

GMG

How about a team that is ALSO in our conference that is routinely winning the West division and challenging for C-USA championships every year?    Same distance from Denton as UTSA.   We battle them for East Texas & DFW recruits constantly.  You know exactly who I'm talking about.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

How about a team that is ALSO in our conference that is routinely winning the West division and challenging for C-USA championships every year?    Same distance from Denton as UTSA.   We battle them for East Texas & DFW recruits constantly.  You know exactly who I'm talking about.

I am all for that too. But, I do like traveling to SA vs going to LA. I guess thats part of why I root for this rivalry. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MrStrange18 said:

I am all for that too. But, I do like traveling to SA vs going to LA. I guess thats part of why I root for this rivalry. 

For me, a vacation spot is not a good reason to root for a "rivalry" to develop.   I need to hate the other guys... not just enjoy their town (which I do enjoy going to SA).

36 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Latech is a very small school with a limited alumni base/following.  We already have something with a school that fits this mold.  If we develop rivalries, I hope they are with other large, public universities that have enough alumni to make a difference.

While true, the La Tech folks were the only ones to bring a radio guy to CUSA media days, have a robust Rivals site, and a passionate base.

7 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Out of curiosity, could it be possible to develop a rivalry with UTSA, LT, UTEP, and Rice at once? Can we only have one rival? Not sure I understand why we must limit these things. 

You may have a different idea of what a "rivalry" is.  Usually a team will have only 1 or 2 "rivals".  The other teams are just teams you face regularly because they're in your conference.

As it stands now, I would say UNT is on the verge of having 0 "rivalries", with the closest one being the lopsided one we have going with SMU.   Had one building with MTSU in the SBC days... but since we don't play them as often anymore, I would say that one has died.