Attendance Prediction Thread

AustinFromUNT

So about the TX/OU game. 

I wonder how much that really affects our attendance. Does it really have a big impact? So do people that would normally go to Apogee go buy tickets and go to the TX/OU game? They're fans of TX or OU? They're big college football fans? 

I just don't know how many people that would otherwise be in Denton make it an annual thing to go to that game? 

I mean does that affect what, 200 people maybe ?More than that?

I'm honestly asking because I don't know. Maybe I'm way off but I don't understand why that has such an impact in UNT home games. Are there that many die hard TX or OU fans in Denton? 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

21 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

i don't think we could ever really know the buts in seats answer. 

somebody does they scan all the tickets. But its not hard to tell I go to enough events to tell full from 3/4s full to half full or less. 

I hope we sell it out and have Apogee busting at the seams, so loud those prairie chickens will have ringing ears for a week. 

33 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So about the TX/OU game. 

I wonder how much that really affects our attendance. Does it really have a big impact? So do people that would normally go to Apogee go buy tickets and go to the TX/OU game? They're fans of TX or OU? They're big college football fans? 

I just don't know how many people that would otherwise be in Denton make it an annual thing to go to that game? 

I'm honestly asking because I don't know. Maybe I'm way off but I don't understand why that has such an impact in UNT home games. Are there that many die hard TX or OU fans in Denton? 

When were you a student?
Were there tons of Big12/SEC teams' gear all over campus when you were there?    When I was on campus back in the early aughts, there was probably a 3:1 ratio of Big12/SEC:UNT gear sported by the students.

Recalling (or now understanding) that, does it make more sense that a game between Texas and Oklahoma would garner more interest from the casual fans?   There are lots of Craig Millers out there.

41 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

So about the TX/OU game. 

I would say it MAY keep away a couple hundred fans. It's just low hanging fruit for our fan base to blame our troubles on. 

40 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

When were you a student?
Were there tons of Big12/SEC teams' gear all over campus when you were there?    When I was on campus back in the early aughts, there was probably a 3:1 ratio of Big12/SEC:UNT gear sported by the students.

Recalling (or now understanding) that, does it make more sense that a game between Texas and Oklahoma would garner more interest from the casual fans?   There are lots of Craig Millers out there.

I was there in the late 90s early '00s. Yes I saw a lot of UT, A&M shirts. I would argue those types didn't go to the UNT games anyway. And of those that did.....what % of those wearing those shirts took it to the next level and actually went to the TX/OU game?

I just don't think it was large numbers. 

And likewise, I just don't see a LARGE number of people that may live in Dallas or other areas around whose choice is go to the UNT game or go to the Cotton Bowl.  "Every other Saturday I would go to UNT but today I'm gonna go to TX/OU." Doesn't add up to me.

Again....if that's the case, it CAN'T be more than a couple hundred people. My point is, there are 100 other excuses to not go to Apogee.....TX/OU seems like one that's way down the list. So yes I'm sure it happens,  but I think the impact has to be minimal.

As for the topic of the thread: I am more confident in the team overcoming past results vs our opponent this week than I am our attendance overcoming past results. We're heading in the right direction but have some work to do. 

And of course I hope I'm wrong 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KingDL1 said:

somebody does they scan all the tickets. But its not hard to tell I go to enough events to tell full from 3/4s full to half full or less. 

I hope we sell it out and have Apogee busting at the seams, so loud those prairie chickens will have ringing ears for a week. 

True, but I've gone through unscanned before 

31 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I was there in the late 90s early '00s. Yes I saw a lot of UT, A&M shirts. I would argue those types didn't go to the UNT games anyway. And of those that did.....what % of those wearing those shirts took it to the next level and actually went to the TX/OU game?

I just don't think it was large numbers. 

And likewise, I just don't see a LARGE number of people that may live in Dallas or other areas around whose choice is go to the UNT game or go to the Cotton Bowl.  "Every other Saturday I would go to UNT but today I'm gonna go to TX/OU." Doesn't add up to me.

Again....if that's the case, it CAN'T be more than a couple hundred people. My point is, there are 100 other excuses to not go to Apogee.....TX/OU seems like one that's way down the list. So yes I'm sure it happens,  but I think the impact has to be minimal.

As for the topic of the thread: I am more confident in the team overcoming past results vs our opponent this week than I am our attendance overcoming past results. We're heading in the right direction but have some work to do. 

And of course I hope I'm wrong 

That's not the fans I'm talking about.    I'm talking about the: "Every other Saturday I might consider going to UNT, but today I'm definitely going to watch TX/OU."    Considering there are, what? 200k alumni in the Metroplex, that number could potentially be large.
We don't have the same attendance every game.  It ebbs & flows.  The kind of fan I'm talking about is a big part of that.

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That's not the fans I'm talking about.    I'm talking about the: "Every other Saturday I might consider going to UNT, but today I'm definitely going to watch TX/OU."    Considering there are, what? 200k alumni in the Metroplex, that number could potentially be large.
We don't have the same attendance every game.  It ebbs & flows.  The kind of fan I'm talking about is a big part of that.

And you think that's more than a couple of hundred people?

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I would say it MAY keep away a couple hundred fans. It's just low hanging fruit for our fan base to blame our troubles on. 

I think a couple of hundred or so is the number who don't come because of TX/OU. The folks who prefer to follow BigXII/SEC don't go to out games in any large numbers any how - having TX/OU just means to people who weren't going to come anyway have yet another excuse.