Welp! I know there's a few hockey fans on here so I thought I'd start an on-going thread for the new season. It's that time of the year where the NHL has officially begun and our beloved Dallas Stars are starting their season tonight against the expansion Las Vegas Golden Knights. It should be a powerful night tonight at the AAC with the rememberance/tribute of the Las Vegas attack victims and the terrible loss of the absolute great Dave Strader. And on top of that I think Grubes will be playing a very good dose of Tom Petty in the arena.

This should be quite an interesting and fun year as Dallas clearly won the off-season with the additions of Bishop, Methot, Radulov & Hanzal but obviously I think probably the biggest addition is bringing Hitch back. There's just something right with the hockey vibe here in Dallas with Hitch back here but maybe it's just nostalgia. I'm hoping it all translates to wins and winning hockey on the ice and I'm optimistic it'll happen. Lindy was a good dude and all but I just wasn't a big fan of the way he handled a lot of things his 4 seasons here.

I'm expecting a big year because they just seem to have all the pieces in place and I'm a believer in Hitch. Dallas is in a gauntlet of a division but I think they'll be fine.  I won't claim division winner of course but most definitely a playoff team and a series win or two in the playoffs.

It all starts tonight and my hockey pants are going nuts.

• Upvote 4

Welp not what I totally envisioned the first two games resulting in L's.  They played well against Vegas...should have blown them out but MAF was good and they couldn't get it in the net despite ample prime opportunities.  Vegas won't be world beaters but I think they'll be super competitive throughout the season.  A lot of blame on Kari from the fans but can't blame him when the defense just plays bad in front of him and leaves the man they're supposed to be on e.g. Hamhius on the 2nd Neal goal and on top of just scoring 1 goal through the first 5 periods.

And for the love of Pete Honka needs to be playing....he's so good and dynamic I think he'll help the offense and scoring dept significantly.  On to the Red Wings tomorrow night and hoping for the first W in the Hitch 2.0 era.

Edited by Green Mean
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2017 at 12:42 PM, Green Mean said:

Welp! I know there's a few hockey fans on here so I thought I'd start an on-going thread for the new season. It's that time of the year where the NHL has officially begun and our beloved Dallas Stars are starting their season tonight against the expansion Las Vegas Golden Knights. It should be a powerful night tonight at the AAC with the rememberance/tribute of the Las Vegas attack victims and the terrible loss of the absolute great Dave Strader. And on top of that I think Grubes will be playing a very good dose of Tom Petty in the arena.

This should be quite an interesting and fun year as Dallas clearly won the off-season with the additions of Bishop, Methot, Radulov & Hanzal but obviously I think probably the biggest addition is bringing Hitch back. There's just something right with the hockey vibe here in Dallas with Hitch back here but maybe it's just nostalgia. I'm hoping it all translates to wins and winning hockey on the ice and I'm optimistic it'll happen. Lindy was a good dude and all but I just wasn't a big fan of the way he handled a lot of things his 4 seasons here.

I'm expecting a big year because they just seem to have all the pieces in place and I'm a believer in Hitch. Dallas is in a gauntlet of a division but I think they'll be fine.  I won't claim division winner of course but most definitely a playoff team and a series win or two in the playoffs.

It all starts tonight and my hockey pants are going nuts.

Will miss Dave.

I already like seeing what Hitch has done. Look at special teams alone. But even the basics are really coming along. Back checking and staying in position. Having players on the offense standing in-front of the goalie. It goes on and all most all my bitch points have been melted away. 

I was there opening night. They would have won had Bishop not taken a puck to the face. Fleury won that game for the Golden Knights.

I like what I'm seeing. The additions have been great, and we now have a goalie that gives me confidence I haven't really felt since Balfour. Bishop is also competent with the puck, which we haven't seen since Turco.  The team is night and day different already. It's been a whe since I've seen this much constant puck possession in the offensive zone. A PP that has a chance to score, and we seem to now know how to win a face off, thanks to assistant coach Stu Barnes.

I don't remember how many shots we had opening night, but I remember thinking how long it had been since we created that much offense to have that many shots. I made it tonight to the Hurricanes game, and we had 30 shots halfway through the game. Unfortunately, we sat back and let them back in it, but Bishop shut the door late in the game, which is what you need your star goalie to do. Also, Pitlick's 2nd goal was created by Rousell following through with a hard forecheck behind the 'Canes goal. 

Good defense creates puck control offense, which creates shots, which creates goals.  I, for one, welcome our new Hitch overlord.

Edited by Rudy

Team turned things around well.  Tough loss last night but playing in Denver has just been a huge challenge for them for several years now.  I worry about scoring...after Benn, Seguin, and Klingbeg I'm just not sure how we'll get pucks in the net.  Spezza is the biggest mystery to me and his playing time so far is much less than last year.  I'm not sure if he's in a funk, it's the structure & system, guys he's playing with or what not but he's played w/different combinations on the wing and still struggling.

I doubt Hitch would ever try to resurrect the supernova line with the pairing of Benn, Seguin & Spezza for small segments just to see if it can jump start Spezza but it's concerning even though we're just 9 games into the season.  Big and important trip to Canada and I don't think it'll be easy I'd love to get 5 out of 8 pts in the rest of the road trip against Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver & Winnipeg.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a garbage road team.  1 point out of a possible 6 against Carolina, Florida and Tampa Bay.  I'm not really sure what this team is and what it can be but it is beyond my comprehension why we continue to have Patteryn and Oleksiak out there every night and I'll also include Hamhius.  There is no reason Honka should be in Austin right now....he needs to be with the big club and I can handle him making mistakes because he's young and learning but not the other guys.  AND he will help with this team's offense.

Other than Benn, Seguin, Radulov & Klingberg this team cannot score still.  I get we're just a quarter of the way through the season with a lot of hockey left but man this does not look any better than average.  Matinee home game tomorrow against Connor McDavid against the Oilers and it wouldn't surprise me if they put a stomping on Dallas.

• 2 weeks later...

We still lack a consistent defense, and I think the Offensive lines are getting better.  

It will take time for everyone to move over and really buy in to Hitch's program. 

I hope Steven Johns is ok last I saw they were going to put him through concussion protocol. 

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

If you missed tonight's 6-1 win over Florida you missed a doozy.  6 goals, 138 combined penalty minutes, the most in the NHL this season.  Awesome win at home by  Dallas.

Rick

The third period was just dominated by the stars. 

Some old school hockey forsure. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2018 at 1:04 PM, KingDL1 said:

It is interesting seeing the change between coaches. I love Hitch

The difference between last year's team and this year is undeniable. I was never a fan of Ruff, but holy crap, how Ruff has won that many games in the NHL is a miracle. 

I hate the Ducks nice fight after the game. 

Stars outshot the Ducks 43-17 and still could not sink a puck. The Ducks Goalie was on, but it was more like a playoff game. We need to fight to get in front of the net more with the puck. 

• 5 weeks later...