Bye week analysis: Mean Green secondary not living up to high expectations

Matthew Brune

“I think what happened was these guys were built up so much by everybody, but us,” Reffett said. “The media built them up like we were going to have a great secondary, and I think they lived off that instead of coming out here and going to work and trying to get better.”

Wow.  That is quite an indictment, coming from their DC.

And Mr. Brune, thank you for another fine article.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Brune said:

Hello, it's Matthew again, and I just wanted to share my recent story on the secondary with the people who really care about the team. So if y'all haven't read it yet, here it is.

http://ntdaily.com/bye-week-analysis-mean-green-secondary-not-living-up-to-high-expectations/

Whatever happened to the question that we sent in before the UAB (I believe?) 

• Upvote 1

I imagine this is a very tough article for 1 specific guy to read *maybe 2*...  because, not only is that 1 guy highlighted by the cover photo, but also in the text of the article, and both imbedded tweets.

Watching that guy's sideline behavior after getting torched multiple times over the past few years, I cant imagine him handling himself very well after getting blasted here.

The second this guy can corral his emotions, and check his instincts in favor of doing his job, he'll get back to all-conference.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

31 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Watching that guy's sideline behavior after getting torched multiple times over the past few years, I cant imagine him handling himself very well after getting blasted here.

If this is the worst blasting he's gotten, I think Reffett needs to crank it up a notch.

• Lovely Take 1

10 hours ago, Matthew Brune said:

Hello, it's Matthew again, and I just wanted to share my recent story on the secondary with the people who really care about the team. So if y'all haven't read it yet, here it is.

http://ntdaily.com/bye-week-analysis-mean-green-secondary-not-living-up-to-high-expectations/

Matthew.   I honestly don't remember such fine sports reporting ever being done at the NT Daily.   Really impressed with your work.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I will mirror what everyone else has said.  Great job and another fine article.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I imagine this is a very tough article for 1 specific guy to read *maybe 2*...  because, not only is that 1 guy highlighted by the cover photo, but also in the text of the article, and both imbedded tweets.

The second this guy can corral his emotions, and check his instincts in favor of doing his job, he'll get back to all-conference.

I anticipate Mr. Brooks initially responding in this manner, but I also believe he will work his rear end off and get back to being the corner we all know he is capable of being.  He is emotional, which I think helps him and hurts him, but he is also smart enough to take coaching from Reff and Brown and respond to the leadership of McClain.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I anticipate Mr. Brooks initially responding in this manner, but I also believe he will work his rear end off and get back to being the corner we all know he is capable of being.  He is emotional, which I think helps him and hurts him, but he is also smart enough to take coaching from Reff and Brown and respond to the leadership of McClain.

The *maybe 2* referenced above.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

He doesn't seem to be ducking responsibility or blaming anyone else.

"There were plenty of cases when the safety was late..."

This. 3rd and long is an issue with the safety.  It's the position that ref coaches and it's been an issue for 2 years.  You would think with Sutton being an NFL talent and McClain having NFL aspirations and being on the Thorpe watch list, we would have seen that matchup often. If for anything, to get him more exposure. But intstead, we left our corners out there to get killed...Again.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

I fair and honest analysis of a real concern that everyone is talking about. We need more in depth articles like this.

I also enjoyed your less serious article about our coaches various quirks. Please keep posting your work.

• Lovely Take 1

Well, I must now temper my excitement over this young man's writing ability.  Clicked on his Twitter account and first and foremost is a picture of Manu "The Flopper" Ginobli of my second most hated team out of San Antonio...second to only nUTSAck.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/6/2017 at 9:43 AM, UNT 90 Grad said:

@Matthew Brune, if one were to want to submit appreciation for your work, say to your superior(s), who would one send a message to?

Hey everyone, Reece Waddell, Editor of the North Texas Daily here. If anyone would like to submit anything – appreciation for Matt’s work, story tips or criticism, you can email me directly at NorthTexasDaily@gmail.com

I’ll pass along appreciation to professors and peers and story tips/critiques to the appropriate people. Thanks for being loyal readers!

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2