So. Miss vs UTSA

MeanGreen_MBA

“So I see we are back to blaming the losses on Sturm...
This is what happens when you start looking ahead of the competition and don't worry about the opponent that you are playing that week. We need to take it one game at a time, and it starts with the fans. c-UNT did a really good job coming to this board and getting us to think about them instead of Southern Miss. I believe this team will wake up and go win the rest of the games. We beat c-unt next game and we have the tie breaker for the lead with our overall record. c-unt are not world beaters.”

I will say this here, but UTSA has problems with Howard when he ran...

We need to be protective of Fine and limit his hits.. Quinn can come in and run, but he has shown he can pass as well. Really would like to see Quinn used early on a few QB runs, and later hit them if needed with a Quinn PA pass deep to Guyton. 

• Downvote 2

9 hours ago, Harry said:

“So I see we are back to blaming the losses on Sturm...
This is what happens when you start looking ahead of the competition and don't worry about the opponent that you are playing that week. We need to take it one game at a time, and it starts with the fans. c-UNT did a really good job coming to this board and getting us to think about them instead of Southern Miss. I believe this team will wake up and go win the rest of the games. We beat c-unt next game and we have the tie breaker for the lead with our overall record. c-unt are not world beaters.”

Yes, because the fans are the team.  They are still delusional. 

Readying through the Rowdy thread Harry posted did show a few things ...

1. Someone noted they were coming off a bye so that maybe why they started slow.  True or not we have to watch out for the same issue this week.  UTSA is not a team I want to play behind as they've got some talent up front on defense.

2. A couple of the oline got hurt and supposedly they are already lacking depth there. 

3. Many over there seem to really dislike Sturm.  He is limited in his ability but I think he still plays really well in that system. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

I need to see all zeroes on the clock next week before I feel comfortable in calling a win. The Roadkill have been out Achilles heel so often in the past few years that it would be our luck to lose next week after beating Southern Miss on the road. But I'm doing my best to get all my friends there, hopefully the students know the situation and pack our side of the stadium!

• Upvote 1

This will be a tough game. UTSA will be very well prepared. The O-line has got to give Mason time to throw. If he has time, he can find the open receiver. If they give Wilson a slight crease, he can make them pay big time. However, my concern is the defense. We have not proven that we can stop the big pass plays. We need to get more pressure on the QB to force errant throws. We have been getting killed on big pass plays. Also, we need to control rush lanes and work on tackling. I don't know how many times I have watched a QB scramble in the pocket and defenders seem to be out of position or just grabbing and not tackling only to see that QB complete a deep pass down the field. The secondary needs to stop biting on the double moves. Sometimes I would love to see us go to a four man front to get more pressure on the QB. Our defense has been our Achilles heel. If it wasn't for the offense scoring so many points, we could easily be 1-4. So, I hope Coach Reffett and the rest of the defensive staff are hard at work to fix those issues. If we get Bryce back, that will help, but I don't expect him to play much. I know Jenkins has replaced Brooks, but would also like to see Brooks come in as a nickel corner on obvious passing downs.

I still say everyone got all jazzed up by their 3-0 start. Had they not been able to skip the Houston game, they would be 3-2 and seen as a middle of the pack CUSA team. They wouldn't have stupid articles written about them going undefeated. They just got beat at home by a team we hammered at their place. They beat Baylor yes. But there is a good chance they go 0-fer this year. 

I'm not going to overlook them. The only thing that worries me is for some reason they've had our number. But I simply think we're the better team and I fully expect to win this game. They WERE this year's "sexy" pick. We know what happens to sexy teams that come to Denton after starting off hot....

If we lose this game the coaches will have some explaining to do....

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

We have a delicious chance to put them out of the conference race this Saturday.  After the horror I have seen them unleash in Apogee and the Alamodome I would love for us to seize this golden opportunity!

GMG

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

Pretty sure this upcoming game on sat will be for west division leaders.  If our secondary plays like yesterday, fine will put up 50 on us.  I'm positive coach Wilson will go to the drawing board and correct things, but its hard to gauge what will happen on sat.  Wish I could show up to the game at Apogee, but wont be able to make it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2