10 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

oh totally.

I'd much rather engage in a conversation about the history of Western military, political, economic and religious interference and exploitation in the Middle East...or the complex societal issues and mechanisms that continue to plague many black/minority/poor communities across the nation...and how both have led to decades and generations of anger and frustration and poverty...and thusly, violence, often directed against real and/or perceived discriminatory elements of control and power. 

thoughts? 

My thoughts are that you're on the right track, although we probably differ in opinion about methods to address these issues, and to what degree culture and belief system have played a role in ownership of each specific situation.

7 minutes ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

---People are mugged and robbed by assault weapons.... REALLY ......???   Pretty rare. .. You are the one changing the subject...  Quit trying to claim I am anti-gun.. I am not ... Just against assault guns   ..... You seem to be twisting the truth as 90 always did. 

---Granted I  don't see the need to carry a gun everywhere.... and I don't want my students to have one in my classroom*** ... Even the military doesn't allow soldiers to carry one around on a military base without a justified  reason [ MPs,  training etc. ] but you think it is ok on a college campus...??.  that seems a bit odd... do firemen carry guns on their person everywhere and have an assault weapon nearby to them..??? .. If not .. why not..??.  Are you allowed to do so.??  some arsonist/nut may not want you to put it out or rescue someone from a wreak. .

. *** seem too many careless people and the need is extremely rare. --more would die by accidental shootings than now happens by some nut... [ No problem with one locked in a car. ] 

There you go again.  You can't help yourself.

Accusing me of twisting the truth and comparing me to someone else.

Assault guns...Show me a gun or any object that cannot be used to assault or harm someone with.

military bases...

college campuses.....

Questioning my profession...

No subject you attempt to insert into the discussion changes the fact that your agenda against rifles has not an an ounce of merit to it, nor does it change the fact that you are twice as likely to be killed by hand than by being shot by a rifle.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So are you allowed to carry as gun when serving as as fireman.... Yes/no ...  if not why not.?? 

. You think my students need one in the classromm.....  I do have policemen in my class at times and I don't have any problem with them having one. ... they are very well trained .. 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

So are you allowed to carry as gun when serving as as fireman.... Yes/no ...  if not why not.?? 

. You think my students need one in the classromm.....  I do have policemen in my class at times and I don't have any problem with them having one. ... they are very well trained .. 

So are you willing to admit rifles are less dangerous than you've claimed all these years?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

FFR ---I notice you did not answer the question about can you carry a gun... ANSWER..!!

I have never trashed owning rifles (legit hunting rifles) ... NEVER .... You likely are remembering what "90" kept saying I said ...   He kept putting words into my mouth and of others ... very irritating...  I am consistent .. I do not think ASSAULT guns serve any good purpose for the general public.... They are not the best hunting guns and were designed to kill people.   You do not assault deer etc. 

.I own 22's...  a 30-06, ...and a couple of shotguns ...  I do not understand why so many people think they need to carry a gun and very much oppose students taking them to class...... How many incidents can you name in the last 50 years that occurred on  a Texas college campus that would have been helped if a student  had a gun on them . Very few.... more accidents would have occurred by careless people that might have killed people. .... .

.Again -----can you as a fireman carry a gun at work???   You want the others carrying one also.?? .....  Unfortunately my college students can  in class now.  Would you have felt safer if your classmates had been "carrying" when you were in class??? 

• Downvote 2

FFR .. ANSWER ---- Man up... You criticize  me regularly  and claim I say things I don't say or even support.. ... ..... Answer the question .... Can you carry a gun to work as a firefighter..? .  You seem to like my students having guns in my classroom.  .. and....  Part two--- Would you have felt safer with your classmates carrying a gun into your classes when you were a student.? 

• Downvote 2

12 hours ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

I have never trashed owning rifles (legit hunting rifles) ... NEVER ....  

You just did by referencing anything other than a traditional deer rifle as non-legit.  MOST hog hunters use .223 or 5.56 AR platform rifles to hunt hogs, or for target and shooting competitions.

And again, theres no such thing as an assault rifle.  That's a made up name for rifles that look scary to you..  

And yes, you trash rifles every chance you get.  You see no reason why scary rifles should be legal, and then without fail cite this time after time every time after a shooting death..  

Your premise has been for years is that scary rifles should be banned or illegalized because they kill so many people...when anyone with a pulse and some common sense knows that rifles, even scary rifles are not even close to being the most used weapon of choice in homicides.

No, I do not carry a gun on my job.  Only fire investigators do.

Rick 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

You just did by referencing anything other than a traditional deer rifle as non-legit.  MOST hog hunters use .223 or 5.56 AR platform rifles to hunt hogs, or for target and shooting competitions.

Heck, there are companies that will take you hog hunting with a helicopter. I can't imagine using a bolt action rifle in such a situation. An AR rifle is the best way to go.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Heck, there are companies that will take you hog hunting with a helicopter. I can't imagine using a bolt action rifle in such a situation. An AR rifle is the best way to go.

Absolutely.

I won't give his name out here but one our our great business leaders downtown owns a 15k acre ranch in SW Texas and that's one of his biggest draws.  

Rick

• Downvote 1

On 11/9/2017 at 10:43 AM, FirefightnRick said:

And again, theres no such thing as an assault rifle.  That's a made up name for rifles that look scary to you..  

And yes, you trash rifles every chance you get.  You see no reason why scary rifles should be legal, and then without fail cite this time after time every time after a shooting death..  

Your premise has been for years is that scary rifles should be banned or illegalized because they kill so many people...when anyone with a pulse and some common sense knows that rifles, even scary rifles are not even close to being the most used weapon of choice in homicides.

No, I do not carry a gun on my job.  Only fire investigators do.

Rick 

Well you  did answer .. you are not allowed to carry a gun on the job but you think students apparently should be able to have one in my classroom. You didn't say whether you would have been safer if your classmates around you had guns on them ... I would not . One of them might go crazy as well instead of someone from outside. ...

This would have never gotten to the point except for whast you said to me..... that you come here every five years to straighten me out .. insulting ... Others here are entitled an opinion... even if it is different than yours.... . .Don't claim I support or say things I don't say or support... I am not anti gun... and the assault gun is a commonly used term and you know that. ...... As for hunting feral hogs-- .. shooting from the air and shooting one the ground is a lot different... On the ground ... I want them down near immediately .. they can be very dangerious and can weigh 100's of pounds. ... that is not a problem from the air.  I grew up rural and likely have used guns a lot more than you.... to picture me is as anti gun or anti rifle  is a complete falsehood..  . I am not anti gun or crazy... I will admit I do not like guns that can fire dozens of rounds in a few seconds... their original purpose is to kill people.  ... and I don't think guns in the classroom is a good idea...... and I am allowed to have an opinion and it doesn't have to be yours.. 

-----------------------------------

FFR----- quote .. don't want to post that entire page....

" It seems like every 3 to 5 years I have to come here and correct you on your whacked out agenda against rifles.. ... FFR  

-----------------------------

That is pretty insulting just as" 90" was and is longer with us .  I quit posting for a long time because everything I said about anything he would change what I would say or the meaning..  ..... and some you (FFR) would say corrected and revise my comment often  .... Feel free to say if you would like the other students to have guns in the classroom with you or not when you were a student. ... You did not say .  .. I also repeat... in the last 50 years in Texas shootings on campuses have been  extremely rare and I can't name one in a classroom. .    I am done. 

My apology to the others who read this ... I did not mean to go this way ... I was just expressing my opinion... but I am not going to be bullied. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

Well you  did answer .. you are not allowed to carry a gun on the job but you think students apparently should be able to have one in my classroom. You didn't say whether you would have been safer if your classmates around you had guns on them ... I would not . One of them might go crazy as well instead of someone from outside. ...

This would have never gotten to the point except for whast you said to me..... that you come here every five years to straighten me out .. insulting ... Others here are entitled an opinion... even if it is different than yours.... . .Don't claim I support or say things I don't say or support... I am not anti gun... and the assault gun is a commonly used term and you know that. ...... As for hunting feral hogs-- .. shooting from the air and shooting one the ground is a lot different... On the ground ... I want them down near immediately .. they can be very dangerious and can weigh 100's of pounds. ... that is not a problem from the air.  I grew up rural and likely have used guns a lot more than you.... to picture me is as anti gun or anti rifle  is a complete falsehood..  . I am not anti gun or crazy... I will admit I do not like guns that can fire dozens of rounds in a few seconds... their original purpose is to kill people.  ... and I don't think guns in the classroom is a good idea...... and I am allowed to have an opinion and it doesn't have to be yours.. 

-----------------------------------

FFR----- quote .. don't want to post that entire page....

" It seems like every 3 to 5 years I have to come here and correct you on your whacked out agenda against rifles.. ... FFR  

-----------------------------

That is pretty insulting just as" 90" was and is longer with us .  I quit posting for a long time because everything I said about anything he would change what I would say or the meaning..  ..... and some you (FFR) would say corrected and revise my comment often  .... Feel free to say if you would like the other students to have guns in the classroom with you or not when you were a student. ... You did not say .  .. I also repeat... in the last 50 years in Texas shootings on campuses have been  extremely rare and I can't name one in a classroom. .    I am done. 

My apology to the others who read this ... I did not mean to go this way ... I was just expressing my opinion... but I am not going to be bullied. 

•  
  •  

Dear lord give me strength...

I know this will zoom right over you again since class rooms and fire departments have nothing to do with the points I've made,  but there they are in your post...so here it goes.

As far as I know,... in this thread I've never said a word about classrooms and students nor have I stated students should be able to carry in your classroom.  I don't have to say that because the Texas legislature says that for student who carry a CHL.

You post anti gun rhetoric all the time AND then reference "assault rifles".  So you are anti "scary gun".   In doing so you then say you have no idea why anyone needs one, and with premis agree with the rest of the anti gun groups wishes to ban or illegalize AR style "scary guns".

I've never meant to insult you or demean you to the point you've taken it personally.  If I have I apologize.  But if you cannot handle being proven wrong then I suggest you give message boards a rest for a while.

All I've simply done......and will continue to do each time you get this point wrong, is point out the facts that prove how the "scary gun" your always railing about isn't the weapon used in most homicides.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/9/2017 at 9:41 AM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

FFR .. ANSWER ---- Man up... You criticize  me regularly  and claim I say things I don't say or even support.. ... ..... Answer the question .... Can you carry a gun to work as a firefighter..? .  You seem to like my students having guns in my classroom.  .. and....  Part two--- Would you have felt safer with your classmates carrying a gun into your classes when you were a student.? 

It's kind of funny to hear you talking about manning up and answering questions when you've been avoiding questions posed to you.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

---- I had no idea it was directed just to me .... That was a general question.... and is a commonly used term .. not just my term... Saw it used again today in an article about the California shootings yesterday... To me any gun that can fire dozens of shots in a few seconds is considered an assault gun .. but I am sure you know that .... I don't know when they started being sold to the general public but I have no memory of them being marketed before 1990. ... I know they were not available that I know of  when I was college age and below.  I grew up with guns (family owns rural land ) but I see no real use for them unless in security or a drug dealer type..{ locally a few years ago a drug guy shot up a a car with another gang guy in it ]. They do not make great hunting guns ... they tend to wound larger animals ( not very large caliber) and often do not immediately kill them and they run off and suffer until they die.. I have found several on my land.... not humane even there and not very effective.. and if shooting an aggressive feral hog (and standing near them)..  good luck .. they may get to you .   not good ...  those can be huge and dangerous. . 

.---- If you don't what what a clip is .. you don't know anything about guns... it appears in articles all the time .. a device that holds a lot of bullets to be inserted into a gun. . Most hunting rifles hold about 6... assault guns can be dozens depending on which size of clip... . 

PS-- a bit unrelated.... Did the last administration even try at all to take up our guns as some claimed would happen.? ??.. That was a lie by the NRA and others to sell guns and to get votes from gullible people..... That lie worked well for both groups.. . 

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

They do not make great hunting guns ... they tend to wound larger animals ( not very large caliber) and often do not immediately kill them and they run off and suffer until they die.. I have found several on my land.... not humane even there and not very effective.. and if shooting an aggressive feral hog (and standing near them)..  good luck .. they may get to you .   not good ...  those can be huge and dangerous. . 

.---- If you don't what what a clip is .. you don't know anything about guns... it appears in articles all the time .. a device that holds a lot of bullets to be inserted into a gun. . Most hunting rifles hold about 6... assault guns can be dozens depending on which size of clip... . 

. . 

Actually, they do make great hunting guns.

And yes, there are a lot of articles that use the term 'clip' when describing the 'magazine' of a semi-automatic carbine....and those articles are wrong.  

Rick

• Upvote 1

Incorrect,  a magazine is what holds the rounds and is inserted into the weapon. Any weapon, when the trigger can be squeezed quickly can fire dozens of rounds in a few seconds.I can empty my Glock in their same time one can empty an AR-15.  So, I guess my Glock is an assault weapon. The fact is that what makes these semi automatic rifles scary is the modifications, such as pistol grips, collapsible stocks, and the ability to add sights, flashlights etc.  They are also used for hunting, but that's already been covered.

• Upvote 1

Being old enough to have had to qualify with an M-1, which used a "clip" to load rounds into the "magazine", I try to keep my terminology straight. The following is a pretty straight-forward explanation of the terminology and why people, particularly journalists, should get it right:

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Clip .... that iscommonly used term ... may not be some people's term  or even the most exact name ... but it is used that way by many people and you just said many sources use it. [ ie. confirmation that it is not that incorrect.]  -- I was not even trying to give a dictionary or technical  definition. Rudy you acted like you clueless about guns .....and I suspected you actually did and was one reason I didn't respond and neither did anyone else. .... You may not like the terms or technically exact but they are commonly used even by people who own guns.. .... .. 

... Another from ranching .. people often say cows ... well cow is technically female .... and they are referring to a mixed herd some of which is male.... big deal ..... everyone understands what they mean . Correcting them is crazy... sometimes exactness is not required ... most people understand the term clip and assault weapon also. ---- then we have people here who misspell so much ... well I never correct them .. so what? ...  I understand the meaning. .. and you likely did understand  those two terms..... why so picky .. just want to be critical.?? 

--- Not disagreeing  with the gun addition comments...... but that happens and they are too easy to find.. Ask the people of Vegas and many others.  I am tired of all these incidents .... They were not happening when I grew up... Oddly my generation and my parent's one killed more people with guns  than any group in USA  since.... Nam. Korea,  and WWII. ..... rarely does these incidents involve my age or older.... 

.so what is your answer to stopping them ..??     Finding problems is easy,  solving them isn't. 

• Downvote 1

Thank you for making my point. People claim to know firearms but can not differentiate misused terms from the correct terms. The shooter in Vegas, a 66 year old man, could have done the same damage had he used a 5.56 rifle with a wooden stock or a collapsible stock.  The incident near San Antonio could have been prevented if the USAF had reported his DV charge.  Then he would nor have been able to purchase a weapon.

Edited by Rudy

Ok ----- but I don't consider people who refer to a herd as cows as being  ignorant... when in fact many of them are actually male... bulls, steers, or young males...  that is your deal not mine.... 

.---- Oddly most people have no clue that most of the meat on the counter at the grocery store was actually male .. the females are usually kept for breeding purposes and 90%+ of the males get sent to market... and slaughtered for meat...  Older cows(past breeding age)  are later sold and  usually considered as  "canners  and cutters" (usually tough) ---- ie. become dog/cat food, lunch meat, canned stew meat etc...  Talk about sex discrimination...!!! ... So when you see a herd .. don't say cows then ... most are... but all all.... according to you that would be  a sign of an  ignorant person. . ....or maybe an ignorant  city-slicker...hahaha. 

.also when talking to a mixed group of people never say "You guys ..whatever".  That be ignorant by your claim. 

Damn I wish I was as smart as you ...!!!

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

If they are trying to tell argue with a rancher about something ranch related, but unable to use the proper terms, I would consider that person ignorant. If someone is trying to tell a surgeon how to be a surgeon, but he calls it a skin cutting tool, I would consider him ignorant. Same thing with firearms. If you want to argue about gun control, but it you don't realize what the hell you're talking about, I consider you ignorant.

Do you ever sometimes say something like  "there are a lot of cars in the parking lot"   which actually several are pickups, jeeps, vans etc... Come on ... why be so picky and why call people ignorant when it isn't technically correct .. big deal ... people know what you mean... . Who cares... you got your message across .. sooo ...  why be such a "whatever" ...