UNT trying to stop Trump Jr campus talk?

It’s ridiculous that Kuehne and Ryan can throw the UNT name on whatever they please. Why not sponsor it to UNT-D or something? It’s so embarrassing...not because Trump Jr is conservative (Condy and W spoke to little issue or protest) but because Jr is a felon undeserving of this lecture.

Also, really, just $13K is expected? All this drama for $13K? That’s weak.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

3 minutes ago, TCUFrog said:

So he was never indicted or Prosecuted, never brought up on charges, nada. Correct?

I’m with TCUFrog on this.  Not a felon in my book.

And why would the UNT President try to cancel?  Maybe some students and Dentonites wanted to hear him speak. And that’s a good way to piss off some big donors.  Like Ernie K.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I’m with TCUFrog on this.  Not a felon in my book.

And why would the UNT President try to cancel?  Maybe some students and Dentonites wanted to hear him speak. And that’s a good way to piss off some big donors.  Like Ernie K.

They don’t, though. They can’t pay people to come see him, they’re expecting a record low amount of money raised.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 4

Why have all the recent speakers come from Fox News? We used to get some solid speakers there: Generals, an admiral, T Boone, and Fisher.

The diversity of backgrounds and scope of topics in the Distinguished Lecture Series (which is where George W, Rice, Wozniak, Bill Nye spoke) is way better.

https://kuehneseries.unt.edu/past-speakers 

I still have not heard anyone state exactly what felony Trump Jr has susposed to have committed.

calling someone a felon who has not been convicted of a felony is simply ignorant and bordering on assinine.

Like the idea of Trump, Jr. speaking, don't like the idea...your call, but geeeezzzz folks, it is a speech not WWIII or the endorsement by UNT of anything the guy says. Some folks just need to grow up and get a life.

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, Aldo said:

It's an endorsement by the donors. If you look at the list of recent speakers, you get an idea of what voice they would like to use. Smatresk himself said so. http://ntdaily.com/donald-trump-jr-event-over-freedom-of-speech-bars-media-from-attending/

Yep...the DONORS who put up the cash for this series. Not UNT.  UNT has brought in a ton of liberal speakers and paid the entire bill to do so. No list of conservative profs nor the Prez tried to stifle them.  

And, for the record...I will be very glad when this talk is over and everyone can just stop trying to stifle free speech and UNT can get back to their liberal speakers so these profs and others can stop being so childish and butthurt over it all.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

32 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

And, for the record...I will be very glad when this talk is over and everyone can just stop trying to stifle free speech and UNT can get back to their liberal speakers so these profs and others can stop being so childish and butthurt over it all.

Are you joking?

Bush, Rice liberal? 

You can't please everyone all the time, but to pretend that only this speaker or that speaker gets negative attention generally just means you only tune in when you want to tune in.

BUT that's not my point. My point is, this series previously has had quality speakers. I'll listen to an admiral or general any day of the week.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Are you joking?

Bush, Rice liberal? 

You can't please everyone all the time, but to pretend that only this speaker or that speaker gets negative attention generally just means you only tune in when you want to tune in.

BUT that's not my point. My point is, this series previously has had quality speakers. I'll listen to an admiral or general any day of the week.

The group that puts on the speaker series felt that Donald Jr. might bring in a good crowd and with that some good money as well to help provide some scholarships. It is to be determined whether there will be a good crowd or not.

7 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Ernie and Brint.

Ernie and Brint feel this will be the lowest attended event to date?

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Are you joking?

Bush, Rice liberal? 

Ben of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, Wendy Davis and on and on... if you add them up across the University and it's many series, the tilt is way left.  But, I think you reallly already knew that.

• Upvote 2

Just now, KRAM1 said:

Ben of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, Wendy Davis and on and on... if you add them up across the University and it's many series, the tilt is way left.  But, I think you reallly already knew that.

Why do you continue carrying the conversation in this direction?

I think the speaker selection is poor. I'd rather listen to Condoleezza Rice, a former admiral, a former president, a federal reserve CEO rather than a news anchor or panelist of any channel or political affiliation.

Those folks have held actual positions that matter globally and nationally, and so can communicate great experiences, as well as attract a diverse number of people and donors.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I think the speaker selection is poor. I'd rather listen to Condoleezza Rice, a former admiral, a former president, a federal reserve CEO rather than a news anchor or panelist of any channel or political affiliation.

Those folks have held actual positions that matter globally and nationally, and so can communicate great experiences, as well as attract a diverse number of people and donors.

Because I think all the angst over this speaker is both childish and assinine. It's a speaker not WWIII.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Because I think all the angst over this speaker is both childish and assinine. It's a speaker not WWIII.

Ok fine, I'll bite, but before I do, we've also hosted Madeleine Albright in the past! Have we hosted Powell yet? Need that for my trifecta.

fwiw I am R and conservative.

Alright since you keep going that route: You continue to perceive the Trump Jr talk literally rather than symbolically. It's easy to dismiss circumstances surrounding current events by saying "gawd, he's just a speaker." 

It doesn't take much nuance to see Trump Jr's circumstances are negative. All the investigations, all the attention, all the lost sponsors over the years (we talkin money right?).

To refuse to accept that, is to take a stand on nothing while also not affiliating yourself with any views I guess in an effort to distance yourself while also showing support? I don't get it.

By saying liberal this or liberal that demonstrates a lack of *wanting* to understand the actual issues at play, and giving yourself an easy opportunity to denounce a singular group on what you think is so not fair.

People will protest this, or that, no matter the quantity of this or that.

Someone like Albright (and one day Powell, crossing my fingers) speaks to me - and many people - more than some former rando like Trump Jr.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Like I said...lots of angst being displayed over a speech. I'll just rest my case and let everyone enjoy their angst over nothing. I guess today folks just have to always be upset over something. 

As the great philosopher, Charlie Brown, has said "Good grief".

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

If @Ryan Munthe is correct and Junior fails to bring in much money, maybe Ernie will re-examine how he goes about choosing speakers for his series.   Regardless of political affiliation, why fork over a bunch of your own money (Brint too) to bring a guy in, and only make beans for your cause, while having your Alma Mater's name run through the mud on both sides  ("Junior is a felon who does not align with our values"/"All these snowflake, leftist, intolerant students...")?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

The group that puts on the speaker series felt that Donald Jr. might bring in a good crowd and with that some good money as well to help provide some scholarships. It is to be determined whether there will be a good crowd or not.

Ernie and Brint feel this will be the lowest attended event to date?

Yes, actually. If you’d read the DRC article, the UNT spokesperson expects to make a measly $13K...they’ve made $200K+ before.

Nobody wants to see Jr.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

I believe Chelsea Clinton is being discussed as a potential speaker as well.

This whole thing is rediculous, just as it was when Gov. Abbott was being protested as well.  I'll be dissapointed if Smak has truly been attempting to fight this behind the scenes.  Smh.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Yes, actually. If you’d read the DRC article, the UNT spokesperson expects to make a measly $13K...they’ve made $200K+ before.

Nobody wants to see Jr.

Sure they do and you can't stand it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

20 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Sure they do and you can't stand it.

Rick,
If the numbers are correct (money is made by purchasing tables at the event), I believe those figures speak for themselves. 

From the DMN article:

Table sponsorships for the lecture series start at $5,000 and go as high as $100,000. Sponsorship payments are eligible for a federal tax deduction.

In past years, the series has netted between $18,000 and $235,000, according to school documents. As of mid-September, the school projected that the series this year would net $13,000, according to documents reviewed by The News. UNT said the number could change because fundraising is continuing.

At an underwhelming $13k, it appears Munthe is correct.   
Of course, this could all change and 100 people could buy $100k tables at the last minute & UNT scholly funds receive $10million!   I really doubt that happens though... because no one wants to hear Junior talk about ...??   How to take daddy's fortune and grow it slightly??  I dunno what he would even talk about.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

43 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Nobody wants to see Jr.

I think you are talking about this article. I don't see where it talks about interest in the Trump speech. It stated NT projects the series to net $13,000 but that number could change. That doesn't mean there is less interest. For one the speaking fee is higher than normal which cuts into the profits.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, TCUFrog said:

Up to this point all the negative press is a big bunch of nothing. Just like with his dad they throw allegation after allegation out there and there has been nothing found. That's why the people on the right don't think its harmful to NT's reputation because after awhile, even the left have to get tired of making false allegations and walking away empty handed.

Whether or not it's a bunch of nothing, it exists. Can't just dismiss it cause "we're on the right".

These talks are supposed to benefit students, and this attitude and approach helps no one except the sanctimony of those digging their heels in.

• Downvote 2