WREN JUST CALLED OUT UTSA

So you guys cry foul when some of our athletes overreact to epithets, slurs, and objects thrown at them by your fans, calling us classless. But your own UNT Vice President and Director of Athletics allegedly talks smack about another conference school, and most of you are apparently amused by it and applaud. Explains a lot.

Edited by Volkmar
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 6

50 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

When did everyone start getting so hurt by words directed at a conference opponent? I can’t imagine how you would feel about some of the things said between some of the major rivals in CFB like Miami-Florida State, Texas-OU, Michigan-Mich St, etc. At the end of the day, it’s just a little fun jab at an opponent. Happens all the time at every level of sport.

LOL, so we get called out by your fans when ours have social media battles with rival schools like Texas State, but when your own Vice President and Director of Athletics makes a preemptive and unwarranted disparaging remark about another school, it's "just a little fun jab at an opponent" and it "happens all the time". Can you name the last time an Athletic Director of a school said something like that? This isn't college kids talking smack about their opponent, or getting too emotional at a football game, but the Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics at your school. Again, explains a lot.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 13

2 minutes ago, Volkmar said:

LOL, so we get called out by your fans when ours have social media battles with rival schools like Texas State, but when your own Vice President and Director of Athletics makes a preemptive and unwarranted disparaging remark about another school, it's "just a little fun jab at an opponent" and it "happens all the time". Can you name the last time an Athletic Director of a school said something like that? This isn't college kids talking smack about their opponent, or getting too emotional at a football game, but the Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics at your school. Again, explains a lot.  

Think maybe you're taking all this way too seriously.  It's ultimately all over a game.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

If you check their poorly put together forum, once you get past all the "cUNT is full of retards and our football team is gonna have their way with all the women that wish they went to UT-San Antonio" chest pounding, they seem like a nice bunch.

Real "bring home to mom" types. You know, the kind that drive an '86 I-ROC and have taken a few welding classes at their local community college.

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Volkmar said:

Can you name the last time an Athletic Director of a school said something like that? This isn't college kids talking smack about their opponent, or getting too emotional at a football game, but the Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics at your school.

I can't specifically name an instance, but I promise it has happened. You have to keep in mind the audience of this. It was at the president's sack lunch, an event held for faculty and staff members of UNT. It's not like he said it during a press conference or anything. I would imagine there are plenty of events like this for faculty, staff, donors, and alumni where comments like this are made in jest at schools all over the country. When comments like this are made we don't hear about it, because it's not newsworthy. It's just good-natured fun.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I can't specifically name an instance, but I promise it has happened. You have to keep in mind the audience of this. It was at the president's sack lunch, an event held for faculty and staff members of UNT. It's not like he said it during a press conference or anything. I would imagine there are plenty of events like this for faculty, staff, donors, and alumni where comments like this are made in jest at schools all over the country. When comments like this are made we don't hear about it, because it's not newsworthy. It's just good-natured fun.

For real.  I don't understand what the problem is here.   

This was likely never meant to become public.  But now that it is, I would expect UTSA fans to latch onto it as a rallying cry (anything to inject more emotion into the team), as @Volkmar appears to be doing.

In reality though, it's the same kind of jab I would expect the UTSA AD to make regarding UNT when speaking at a sack lunch for UTSA faculty/staff. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Volkmar said:

LOL, what did he say that was "unwarranted" or "disparaging?"

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

I recall some recent comments from a certain hillbilly AD in Arkansas that got his panties in a wad and made some disparaging remarks when a certain university came in and hired their basketball coach.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

If you check their poorly put together forum, once you get past all the "cUNT is full of retards and our football team is gonna have their way with all the women that wish they went to UT-San Antonio" chest pounding, they seem like a nice bunch.

Real "bring home to mom" types. You know, the kind that drive an '86 I-ROC and have taken a few welding classes at their local community college.

200w.gif#6-grid1    200.gif#9-grid1

• Haha 1

Can you name the last time an Athletic Director of a school said something like that? This isn't college kids talking smack about their opponent, or getting too emotional at a football game, but the Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics at your school

Steve Spurrior (Coach, not AD, but still Univ. Spoksman)

“You can’t spell ‘Citrus Bowl’ without ‘UT.’” (The Citrus Bowl is typically played by the second-place team in the SEC, and “UT” stands for rival University of Tennessee).

- What does “FSU” stand for? “Free Shoes University” (a dig at SEC rival Florida State University, after a local shoe store provided the entire FSU team with free kicks).

"Kentucky has a heck of a punter, I know that."

- On Georgia - 

“I don’t know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended.”

“In Knoxville they’re still doing cartwheels because they went 7-6 and won a bowl.”

Ohio State AD on Michigan holding spring practice in Florida:

Ohio State AD Gene Smith on holding spring practice in Florida: "If we were jump starting our program, I'd probably try to do that too."

Jim Harbaugh (Michigan Coach) responds with: Good to see Director Smith being relevant again after the tattoo fiasco. Welcome back!

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

I thought I was the only one who noticed...

23 minutes ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

I'm kinda upset Wren didn't mention their dog-face cheerleaders too.

200.gif#7-grid1

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

You know, as controversial as this has been, I actually like that from Wren, and here's why:

What is a good driver for attendance (for at least one game)? A rivalry. One where the fans want to see absolute bloody murder of the football variety. What's something UNT has struggled with? Rivalries -- simply having any worth a damn. The one with UTSA is still in its infancy (please message me if you read all the trash talk going on and still don't think it's a rivalry), and the one with SMU is getting a restart (albeit a slow one because so far it's been filled with almost nothing but depression for UNT). Mentioning absolutely anyone else (MTSU or Rice are all I can think of that might be remotely close) is nothing more than you lying to yourself. We STILL don't have a UT-OU type of rivalry where just the mention of the other team's name injects us with intense emotion.

What I see is Wren finally stopping what UNT's been doing for idk how long now -- being nice. We're the Mean Green dammit, time to light some fires!

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1