UTSA’s path to 11-0 perfection

Harry

To no one’s surprise, Frank Wilson is laser focused on this week’s opponent. For him, it’s all about Southern Miss, morning, noon and long night after night.

Like every football, basketball or badminton coach who has ever held a whistle, Wilson steadfastly refuses to look ahead to future foes.

“But you’re entitled to,” he told reporters this week.

Thanks, coach, we will.

In analyzing UTSA’s remaining schedule, it’s hard to see many losses.

Or any at all.

It wouldn’t be a shock to see the Roadrunners run the table and finish 11-0.

At 3-0 and one of just 17 undefeated teams remaining in the Football Bowl Subdivision, UTSA likely will be favored in every game the rest of the season.

For a startup program in only its seventh year of existence, that’s no small feat.

Going 11-0 is not just a pipe dream. UTSA has a favorable schedule the rest of the way and superior talent.

Read more:  http://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/john_whisler/article/UTSA-s-path-to-11-0-perfection-is-no-pipe-dream-12250118.php?t=c9604f141cf515a193&cmpid=twitter-premium

@Brett Vito 
Take notes!     THIS is how you write for the team you cover.     Calls for 11-0... but why stop there?  May as well be 100-0, with National Championships, then Galactic & Universal Championships to follow.

/sarcasm

Thank you for being a realist & not a pom-pom waving fanboy like this dude.  I can't believe this guy writes for a large paper like that.

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, southsideguy said:

that brings up the question do schedule cup cakes or teams that are really good.  What works best?

Baylor was a good team before it all fell apart last year. They were suppose to play Houston but the game was canceled.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, southsideguy said:

that brings up the question do schedule cup cakes or teams that are really good.  What works best?

Cancelling your first game against a fairly serious G5 opponent (Houston) and *then* playing against ineffective offenses to open the season.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

@Brett Vito 
Take notes!     THIS is how you write for the team you cover.     Calls for 11-0... but why stop there?  May as well be 100-0, with National Championships, then Galactic & Universal Championships to follow.

/sarcasm

Thank you for being a realist & not a pom-pom waving fanboy like this dude.  I can't believe this guy writes for a large paper like that.

But the UNT 17 don't like Vito--or Frito as some of them like to call him...

I guess they'd love it if he would've gotten the pom-poms out and would have continued telling everyone how awesome RV was as a fund raiser and at being an AD...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

51 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Cancelling your first game against a fairly serious G5 opponent (Houston) and *then* playing against ineffective offenses to open the season.

To be fair, we didn't wan't that game canceled and was not our doing.  If it wasn't for the hurricane, I think that would have been an exciting game.  

Edited by Rowdy
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

They are our next opponent on the schedule if you haven't noticed.  I think that makes it topical. 

Feel free to post links to articles that make fun of them, or predict their inevitable fall from grace.  Anything nice or positive and I'm going to start questioning whether or not you're a double agent.  :P

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rowdy said:

To be fair, we didn't wan't that game canceled and was not our doing.  If it wasn't for the hurricane, I think that would have been an exciting game.  

Was anything worked out for if the game doesn’t happen? 

I know the plan was to play it at worst when the conferences do championships.. but if 1 or both in a championship game they can’t play.. didn’t know if UTSA got paid if that happens?

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Was anything worked out for if the game doesn’t happen? 

I know the plan was to play it at worst when the conferences do championships.. but if 1 or both in a championship game they can’t play.. didn’t know if UTSA got paid if that happens?

Yeah nothing ended up being worked out, just decided to cancel.  Hurts missing out on the money, but both schools came to an agreement to cancel.  Means we go back to their house to play again the next game.  

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Rowdy said:

Yeah nothing ended up being worked out, just decided to cancel.  Hurts missing out on the money, but both schools came to an agreement to cancel.  Means we go back to their house to play again the next game.  

I haven't seen it yet but I bet the game is rescheduled for a different year. Both schools have openings in 2025.

40 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Feel free to post links to articles that make fun of them, or predict their inevitable fall from grace.  Anything nice or positive and I'm going to start questioning whether or not you're a double agent.  :P

How about the Real Time RPI for UTSA, which currently predicts a North Texas win over the runners.

• Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Aldo said:

UTSA is one of the least explosive teams in the conference. USM is the second most, by the numbers.

UTSA's defense either has to hold USM, or UTSA's offense has to be taken out of their gameplan.

Im going to disagree. I think they rely on big plays

6.7 yards per play

Ranked 30th in explosiveness on advanced stats

2nd in the conference in 10 yard plays per game

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1