UTSA Fans discuss UNT game

Harry

12 minutes ago, RunnerDad said:

I was at that game in 2013 and sat near enough to the UNT student section to see them throw things on the field at the UTSA players and hear some of the things that were being said. I know young, and probably inebriated youngsters are not how you should judge a group but I certainly understood why the UTSA player flipped off the student section. I didn't make it right, but I understood because it was bad. Luckily, my son was really too young to understand what was being said, otherwise we would've had to leave.

Your team just got into an altercation with UAB a couple of weeks ago after the game and clearly your coach was not happy with some of the things that his team was doing and saying.

The point is that fans tend to see things through their prism and it's understandable but if UNT fans think that incident in 2013 was all one-sided, that's simply incorrect. I was there.

Our student section used to be rowdy. We didn’t throw anything at them, they were throwing Gatorade cups at us. It doesn’t really matter, you’re a football team, you don’t act that way. Not a single other team acted that way, buddy. If you’re representing your school, you don’t react. Pretty simple. Not to mention we weren’t threatening to beat the shit out of us, like they were us.

Also, don’t change the fact that your fans thought some guy with a similar username to my old one was trolling RT so proceeded to threaten, harass me and my wife, and then call me for about two weeks threatening to get me fired. THAT happened and was one way, and reflects the trash you breed at your shitty forum.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, RunnerDad said:

The point is that fans tend to see things through their prism and it's understandable but if UNT fans think that incident in 2013 was all one-sided, that's simply incorrect. I was there.

The difference with UTSA is the volume of complaints I see and hear from many different teams and positions.  The guys who film our weekly football show Beyond the Green said UTSA fans were the absolute worst they have seen anywhere they've been.  So like others have said, there's something different about the way UTSA fans carry themselves.

To be honest, it kinda reminds me of stories I hear about baseball games in central America or what I've seen in Gold Cup soccer matches at the Cotton Bowl back in the day.  Perhaps some of it is a cultural difference ... or perhaps UTSA just has a few louder loud mouths than most schools.   Lord knows there's a couple on the CUSA board that seem to make it their mission in life to belittle UNT anyway possible. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Our student section used to be rowdy. We didn’t throw anything at them, they were throwing Gatorade cups at us. It doesn’t really matter, you’re a football team, you don’t act that way. Not a single other team acted that way, buddy. If you’re representing your school, you don’t react. Pretty simple. Not to mention we weren’t threatening to beat the shit out of us, like they were us.

Also, don’t change the fact that your fans thought some guy with a similar username to my old one was trolling RT so proceeded to threaten, harass me and my wife, and then call me for about two weeks threatening to get me fired. THAT happened and was one way, and reflects the trash you breed at your shitty forum.

Ryan, I was there. I heard what the UNT students said and I saw them throw water bottles and other stuff onto the UTSA sideline. Let's just also say that racism was alive and well in that section, that night.  The players reacted to things that should never happen and never be said, just as you are. 

That's all I'll say about it other than I'm sorry that someone did those things to you, and if I were in your position, I'd feel the same way.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

54 minutes ago, RunnerDad said:

Ryan, I was there. I heard what the UNT students said and I saw them throw water bottles and other stuff onto the UTSA sideline. Let's just also say that racism was alive and well in that section, that night.  The players reacted to things that should never happen and never be said, just as you are. 

That's all I'll say about it other than I'm sorry that someone did those things to you, and if I were in your position, I'd feel the same way.

Yes, because yelling things at a football game is the exact same as personally harassing people and threatening for weeks. I’ve never heard of anything like that, over a football rivalry.

It doesn’t matter what the students do, if you think UNT is nasty, try a Ohio State game. You don’t react. Period. That’s what students are taught, unless you’re Coker.

Y’all are unhinged, lose by a thousand.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

On 10/2/2017 at 9:11 AM, UNTLifer said:

What an inferiority complex.

As to the moron that wrote the comment above, I have good and bad news.

1.  Good News: your oversized community college will never be confused with our university.  Hope all you want, but your school will never reach UNT's academic status.

2.  Bad News: Just like UTEP, UTPB, UT Tyler, etc... UTSA is just a system school of UT.  Oh, and you all share the same colors.

Academically, UT Dallas is the rock star among the UT sisters.  Probably better than at the campus down in Austin.  

16 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Tauaefa has a huge chip, personally, against UNT.   Can't blame the dude for feeling the way he does about us when our inept HC didn't want to recruit him while he was just down the road.   

I think they told you LA Tech because that is the C-USA West standard-bearer, and they want to take that mantle on.  Their desire to be the best (and beat the best) does not make it a "rivalry".

What's the story on that?  It's embarrassing to lose a player who attended a high school in the shadow of Apogee to go to another state school 300 miles away.

Edited by Aigle Vert

On 10/4/2017 at 5:15 AM, DeepGreen said:

I’ll go on record by saying I dislike NutsaK.  But give the devil his due.  They’ve done a good job in the short time they’ve fielded a football. They recruit really well.  Take the time to look on their football website and scan the players names and where they come from.  All over Texas and many states across the U.S.  They don’t just recruit the San Antonio area like we do DFW.  Many players come all over Texas.  Some areas that we refuse to look at.  Like Southeast Texas, cough cough.

Or Lake Dallas High School.

21 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This guy is just a UTSA homer. HE probably manages a KFC near their campus, but tells everyone he has a Masters Degree in IT Security...

Its clear that their team plays at a higher level when they play us in years where we are competitive and aren't looking past us, like they did when we were winless in 2015.

What cracks me up about the UTSA fan is him/her coming here and acting like they have cleared some major hurdle by passing us by so far. We were the worst team in FBS by a mile in 2015. Our recruiting is almost always low because of our reputation with TX HS Coaches and recruits--only UTEP deals with the same thing we do. We don't play anyone of major note in Denton to bring tons of media and fan attention to the program. I mean, really passing us up isn't really that impressive. It'd be like us scoreboarding them in music/arts--its not like its that hard to accomplish. They focused on making football their primary window to their school--shocker, its working. We don't, so its not like its really that big of a surprise that they have out-recruited us and had better results on the field. Other than Cougar Queen, nobody else but UTSA fans come here and talk schit about being better than us. Its a complete lack of self-awareness. Its like going into a rehab center and mocking a patient for trying to get better because you can actually walk. Most people see that as dewshy...

I hate to interrupt such an intense and relevant rivalry, but for the record I dont really come around here anymore.

@Volkmar

We never used Texas Stadium for more than one game a year.  Usually it was used in the SMU series, though it was used for the Texas Tech series (their demand) and the Army game for one year (our AD's idea).

All in all I don't think we played at Texas Stadium a dozen times.  UTSA has played in the Alamodome more often than we ever played at TS.

5 hours ago, Aigle Vert said:

Academically, UT Dallas is the rock star among the UT sisters.  Probably better than at the campus down in Austin.  

What's the story on that?  It's embarrassing to lose a player who attended a high school in the shadow of Apogee to go to another state school 300 miles away.

He was a Linebacker.   2 huge problems there:
1.  Our LBs coach that year: Cosh
2.  Our HC that year: McCarney.  

Neither of them did a d**n thing as far as recruiting goes...   You were only recruited by either of those guys if you came TO THEM.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

He was a Linebacker.   2 huge problems there:
1.  Our LBs coach that year: Cosh
2.  Our HC that year: McCarney.  

Neither of them did a d**n thing as far as recruiting goes...   You were only recruited by either of those guys if you came TO THEM.

Skaldany, though his defense was much beloved, did zero recruiting.  

At the Alamodome last year UTSA fans - students came to an open spot right in front of the Mean Green students that had been bussed in.  They were a holes and started mocking the Mean Green students and being bonified douches the whole game.   They didn't set up that spot until the Mean Green students were all assembled and they purposely moved from the other side of the stadium to right in front of the students to give them hell. 

San Antonio fan is passionate that turns into obnoxious.  I have seen this with Spurs fan and now especially with Runner fans.  I have not witnessed our sole win over them but have seen 2 losses.  It will be great to see us finally take these jobs down.

So much for a welcome committee and then they wonder why they are perceived as terrible fans to watch a game with.  Loads more respect for La Tech, SMISS, Rice and even SMU fans.

Beat the UTSA.

GMG

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Wasn't there also a UTSA/UTEP brawl?

Not that I am aware of.  Only UTEP brawl I know about is when TTech went there to play.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcJKFAy5yg8

Just now, UNTEngr.#43 said:

Why did Hickey leave as UTSAs AD?

I still don't know.  Supposedly for her husbands health, but seems odd.  Liked her a whole lot, she got things done.  

4 minutes ago, Rowdy said:

Not that I am aware of.  Only UTEP brawl I know about is when TTech went there to play.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcJKFAy5yg8

I still don't know.  Supposedly for her husbands health, but seems odd.  Liked her a whole lot, she got things done.  

I agree I think she was great as AD getting stuff done on hiring coaches and being at the games to support each sport. I was there when UNT played UTSA in softball she was there in the front row cheering on the team.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTEngr.#43 said:

I agree I think she was great as AD getting stuff done on hiring coaches and being at the games to support each sport. I was there when UNT played UTSA in softball she was there in the front row cheering on the team.

She was good about showing up, would go to all sports and always stop by tailgates to chat.  

• Lovely Take 1