UTSA Fans discuss UNT game

Harry

"We are heavy favorites in all our games except UNT and LA Tech and the swamp rats don't look very good. This isn't a surprising prediction."

This quote brought a smile to face.  I once named a fantasy football team "Swamp Rats" and I always enjoyed that name.

I was on the fence about UTSA joining the conference.  I didn't want more competition from ANOTHER school to recruit against.  I also think we all saw the potential of UTSA eventually developing into a good program with it being the only college football in town.  I also think most expected UTSA to stink for years before becoming a good program.  The quick rise was unexpected to me and quite an achievement for UTSA.

Another posted commented that we've had an 80 year head start on them.  That means we've also had 80 more years to mess things up.  Over our history we've actually had good success with football.  It wasn't until the 80's that we really started downhill.  Long term I don't worry about UTSA but I worry about us.  We have the resources to at least consistently challenge for the CUSA title and I believe we finally have the leadership and commitment  from the administration to maximize our resources and maybe eventually rise to higher heights.  If we do that then either UTSA will rise up join us at the top or not.  

The 1-3 record doesn't mean anything to me because all but one of those years we stunk and in that game a loss actually benefited us since we got to go to the Heart of Dallas Bowl and play on NEW YEARS DAY!  I never thought I would see UNT play in a NEW YEARS DAY bowl. In light of that the UTSA loss that year was not a negative and I never think about it. 

A few consider UTSA to be our rival but I don't see it.  Rivalries can't be named, they have to be earned.  You earn a rival over time by playing big games and losing something of value.  We've played UTSA four times and they were all meaningless games (see paragraph above about that one year). 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

A few consider UTSA to be our rival but I don't see it.  Rivalries can't be named, they have to be earned.  You earn a rival over time by playing big games and losing something of value.  We've played UTSA four times and they were all meaningless games (see paragraph above about that one year). 

The 2013 loss likely cost us the chance to play for a Conference Championship. UTSA and Tulane were our only conference losses that year.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

I’ll go on record by saying I dislike NutsaK.  But give the devil his due.  They’ve done a good job in the short time they’ve fielded a football. They recruit really well.  Take the time to look on their football website and scan the players names and where they come from.  All over Texas and many states across the U.S.  They don’t just recruit the San Antonio area like we do DFW.  Many players come all over Texas.  Some areas that we refuse to look at.  Like Southeast Texas, cough cough.

• Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, Volkmar said:

Love this. Funny stuff right there. 

Absolutely not true. Without intending to sound rude, don't flatter yourself. We've only had football for 6 years, and are already 3-1 against you, so why would we consider you some sort of Super Bowl? I will say this though... In that first game between our programs in 2013, because it was our first meeting, and because you had a quality team that year, I think we did see you guys as a good measuring stick for our program. But since then, we've never again considered you as any sort of measuring stick, not even remotely close, and certainly never any sort of Super Bowl.

The source of our pleasure in beating you in 2013 is the smack talk that went on between our fan bases prior to that game, which was our first meeting. And make no mistake, it went both ways. We had some instigators on our side, and you did on your side, saying the same thing then that some of your fans still are now, which is that we don't belong on the same field, that we've earned nothing, etc. As a result, some of our fans have pretty much held a grudge since, as some of your fans have for us as well, for similar reasons. The fact that we won that game on your turf, ruined what would've been an undefeated season at home for you, assured ourselves of at least a .500 record after starting 2-5, and eliminated you from division championship contention all at the same time, just made it that much sweeter. Back then, in just our third year, it was certainly a nice feather in our cap, but not since. 

Super Bowl memories...

This game means way more to y’all than it ever has to us. Way. More.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Volkmar said:

Love this. Funny stuff right there. 

Absolutely not true. Without intending to sound rude, don't flatter yourself. We've only had football for 6 years, and are already 3-1 against you, so why would we consider you some sort of Super Bowl? I will say this though... In that first game between our programs in 2013, because it was our first meeting, and because you had a quality team that year, I think we did see you guys as a good measuring stick for our program. But since then, we've never again considered you as any sort of measuring stick, not even remotely close, and certainly never any sort of Super Bowl.

The source of our pleasure in beating you in 2013 is the smack talk that went on between our fan bases prior to that game, which was our first meeting. And make no mistake, it went both ways. We had some instigators on our side, and you did on your side, saying the same thing then that some of your fans still are now, which is that we don't belong on the same field, that we've earned nothing, etc. As a result, some of our fans have pretty much held a grudge since, as some of your fans have for us as well, for similar reasons. The fact that we won that game on your turf, ruined what would've been an undefeated season at home for you, assured ourselves of at least a .500 record after starting 2-5, and eliminated you from division championship contention all at the same time, just made it that much sweeter. Back then, in just our third year, it was certainly a nice feather in our cap, but not since. 

I'd say your fans trolling the hell out of this site ten times more than any other fan base would be a good indication of your school's fans having an infatuation with UNT. I'm not sure what's in the water down there these days but your fans have for the most part been asses. You don't sound like the typical UTSA person but that's been the general experience most of us have had. I for one don't really pay much attention to UTSA except when y'all post here. It's just another game from a school I've never paid attention to. I don't mean that as demeaning either. I never gave UTSA a thought when I lived there. I like watching us play other teams much more. Maybe because of history. Not sure why. I guess I've never known anyone who went to school there which makes it way less fun. I don't really understand why y'all have fans flocking to this website in droves. 

However, the KFC thing and people laughing at yall's chubby girls joke does make me laugh. It seems to drive some of y'alls fans crazy. I guess Charles Barkley struck a chord in San Antonio.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 3

I don’t go to the chicken board wherever it is. Why would they come here?  The chicken administration has been more committed to their football program than NT’s. They have been more focused on building the chicken brand too. So they do some things right. As for the academic stature of the chicken university, see Forbes rankings. Also, many of the chicken fans are outright thugs. I like San Antonio the city though. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

56 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

I'd say your fans trolling the hell out of this site ten times more than any other fan base would be a good indication of your school's fans having an infatuation with UNT. I'm not sure what's in the water down there these days but your fans have for the most part been asses. You don't sound like the typical UTSA person but that's been the general experience most of us have had. I for one don't really pay much attention to UTSA except when y'all post here. It's just another game from a school I've never paid attention to. I don't mean that as demeaning either. I never gave UTSA a thought when I lived there. I like watching us play other teams much more. Maybe because of history. Not sure why. I guess I've never known anyone who went to school there which makes it way less fun. I don't really understand why y'all have fans flocking to this website in droves. 

However, the KFC thing and people laughing at yall's chubby girls joke does make me laugh. It seems to drive some of y'alls fans crazy. I guess Charles Barkley struck a chord in San Antonio.

When you put it in the context of our lack of history and so on, I can actually understand how we move the radar less for you than you guys might for us. You might wanna rethink that though because what does it look like to a recruit when a 104-year-old football program is 1-3 against a 7-year-old intrastate divisional foe, and basically claims they don't care? It sounds like your century-old program, and fans, might be in need of a defibrillator. 

Granted, we play in a dome in downtown San Antonio, and that helps attendance, but I also think we travel better than you guys do, at least from what I've observed. So I'm inclined to think that perhaps we care a little more about a lot of games than you guys do, not just the contests between us. And I can't speak for others, but in the 6 years I've been a member of our website, RowdyTalk, this is the first time I've been here, so you can rest assured I have no infatuation with UNT. The Super Bowl assertion by that other poster is just ridiculous though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Volkmar said:

When you put it in the context of our lack of history and so on, I can actually understand how we move the radar less for you than you guys might for us. You might wanna rethink that though because what does it look like to a recruit when a 104-year-old football program is 1-3 against a 7-year-old intrastate divisional foe, and basically claims they don't care? It sounds like your century-old program, and fans, might be in need of a defibrillator. 

Granted, we play in a dome in downtown San Antonio, and that helps attendance, but I also think we travel better than you guys do, at least from what I've observed. So I'm inclined to think that perhaps we care a little more about a lot of games than you guys do, not just the contests between us. And I can't speak for others, but in the 6 years I've been a member of our website, RowdyTalk, this is the first time I've been here, so you can rest assured I have no infatuation with UNT. The Super Bowl assertion by that other poster is just ridiculous though. 

As someone who went on several recruiting trips I have pretty good insight as to what recruits like. A recruit doesn't care about a 100 history. Coaches and players they meet make a big impact. Family is big. Facilities are big. Especially these days. Your dome is not your stadium. We use to play at Texas Stadium. It wasn't something I liked as a player either. The kids know it too. It was for that NFL team SA never got. Thankfully we built a stadium. I obviously looked at schools. Scheduling. Girls were a big one that you don't really say out loud. These days social media has become big (But I'm anti social media, I think it's silly. Personal choice...unless GMG is a form of social media?) The list goes on but it's late. Did I mention girls and parties? (That one has to be stressed.)

UTSA & UNT are getting similar players. Both of these programs will always struggle recruiting in Texas as long as P5 and every other state poaches Texas kids. UTSA isn't some shiny gem the kids are clamoring for. Regardless what the cool aid tastes like. We at UNT have had our ups and downs and get it. Just wait til y'alls first big nose dive occurs. That reality will suck.

I don't know where you think y'all travel so much better. Especially here. Recently Lamar sent more fans up here than UTSA ever has and they had a natural disaster to contend with. I honestly think a lot of our fans mostly don't see you guys as a big game so they aren't inclined to go down there. I know Rice will have a lot of us there. The Football Alumni Association has a tent planned for that game. As do other groups. SMU for obvious reasons has tons of events set up for our alumni and fans. (We also most likely out numbered their fans the last few times we went to Ford.) There's other stuff UNT does for away games but I've never seen anyone or group I associate with set up anything for UTSA. Like I said before thats not meant to be demeaning towards y'all, its just the way it is. It's just not a game most of our alumni and fans are really in to. The players and coaches are super into UTSA though, for the next 9 days anyway. 

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

8 hours ago, Volkmar said:

I think you're coming at this from a fan's viewpoint.    And maybe you're right.  Maybe y'all don't think much of it (if so, why are so dang many of y'all here on GMG.com?)

But I don't believe your FOOTBALL TEAM thinks the same way.  Your guys are always chippy VS UNT, and not so much against other teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think you're coming at this from a fan's viewpoint.    And maybe you're right.  Maybe y'all don't think much of it (if so, why are so dang many of y'all here on GMG.com?)

But I don't believe your FOOTBALL TEAM thinks the same way.  Your guys are always chippy VS UNT, and not so much against other teams.

This guy is just a UTSA homer. HE probably manages a KFC near their campus, but tells everyone he has a Masters Degree in IT Security...

Its clear that their team plays at a higher level when they play us in years where we are competitive and aren't looking past us, like they did when we were winless in 2015.

What cracks me up about the UTSA fan is him/her coming here and acting like they have cleared some major hurdle by passing us by so far. We were the worst team in FBS by a mile in 2015. Our recruiting is almost always low because of our reputation with TX HS Coaches and recruits--only UTEP deals with the same thing we do. We don't play anyone of major note in Denton to bring tons of media and fan attention to the program. I mean, really passing us up isn't really that impressive. It'd be like us scoreboarding them in music/arts--its not like its that hard to accomplish. They focused on making football their primary window to their school--shocker, its working. We don't, so its not like its really that big of a surprise that they have out-recruited us and had better results on the field. Other than Cougar Queen, nobody else but UTSA fans come here and talk schit about being better than us. Its a complete lack of self-awareness. Its like going into a rehab center and mocking a patient for trying to get better because you can actually walk. Most people see that as dewshy...

• Upvote 1

For the record, I asked Josiah T. and Josh Stewart at CUSA Media days who they considered a rival and they said 'La Tech'. They said the NT thing is a big game and they were hyped to play us last year but feel its more internet-driven than anything.

Meanwhile, Vito says JT and JS told him that it is a rivalry.

---

The above is mostly just background considering that rivalries are more for fans than the players. I mean, one reason I want NT to win this game so badly is the ugly feeling I had walking out of the stadium in 2013. Same for my wife. Before then we were in the "hope both teams do well, I mean why not" boat but as my wife says "I hated hearing them sing their stupid u-t-s-a chant at apogee". Moments like that do a rivalry make.

Also, I live in SA and I have a few friends who are UTSA alumni and its fun to make fun of them. They mostly do not care about cfb in general and I have to tell them how good/bad "their" team is. Still, I'll take that over trying to explain to anyone who exactly ULM or ULL or FIU/FAU, or MTSU are/were. At least someone knows them.

• Lovely Take 2

9 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

For the record, I asked Josiah T. and Josh Stewart at CUSA Media days who they considered a rival and they said 'La Tech'. They said the NT thing is a big game and they were hyped to play us last year but feel its more internet-driven than anything.

Meanwhile, Vito says JT and JS told him that it is a rivalry.

---

The above is mostly just background considering that rivalries are more for fans than the players. I mean, one reason I want NT to win this game so badly is the ugly feeling I had walking out of the stadium in 2013. Same for my wife. Before then we were in the "hope both teams do well, I mean why not" boat but as my wife says "I hated hearing them sing their stupid u-t-s-a chant at apogee". Moments like that do a rivalry make.

Also, I live in SA and I have a few friends who are UTSA alumni and its fun to make fun of them. They mostly do not care about cfb in general and I have to tell them how good/bad "their" team is. Still, I'll take that over trying to explain to anyone who exactly ULM or ULL or FIU/FAU, or MTSU are/were. At least someone knows them.

Tauaefa has a huge chip, personally, against UNT.   Can't blame the dude for feeling the way he does about us when our inept HC didn't want to recruit him while he was just down the road.   

I think they told you LA Tech because that is the C-USA West standard-bearer, and they want to take that mantle on.  Their desire to be the best (and beat the best) does not make it a "rivalry".

• Lovely Take 1

13 hours ago, Volkmar said:

Because, outside of the Spurs, there's nobody else to cheer for in San Antonio? Oh, wait, I forgot the Missions.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This guy is just a UTSA homer. HE probably manages a KFC near their campus, but tells everyone he has a Masters Degree in IT Security...

Its clear that their team plays at a higher level when they play us in years where we are competitive and aren't looking past us, like they did when we were winless in 2015.

What cracks me up about the UTSA fan is him/her coming here and acting like they have cleared some major hurdle by passing us by so far. We were the worst team in FBS by a mile in 2015. Our recruiting is almost always low because of our reputation with TX HS Coaches and recruits--only UTEP deals with the same thing we do. We don't play anyone of major note in Denton to bring tons of media and fan attention to the program. I mean, really passing us up isn't really that impressive. It'd be like us scoreboarding them in music/arts--its not like its that hard to accomplish. They focused on making football their primary window to their school--shocker, its working. We don't, so its not like its really that big of a surprise that they have out-recruited us and had better results on the field. Other than Cougar Queen, nobody else but UTSA fans come here and talk schit about being better than us. Its a complete lack of self-awareness. Its like going into a rehab center and mocking a patient for trying to get better because you can actually walk. Most people see that as dewshy...

It might do you some good to actually read what I write before commenting about it and jumping to conclusions. For starters, I've already written that I'm a middle school math teacher and coach.

On the second highlighted point, you've clearly misinterpreted my previous messages if you think my feeling is that by going 3-1 against you guys, we've cleared some major hurdle. I believe I mentioned to you already that after our first game at Apogee, we've never considered you even remotely close to being any sort of measuring stick. So how that translates to me acting as if we cleared a major hurdle is unclear to me. The third thing I highlighted, of passing you up not really being impressive, is actually precisely what I was implying when I said we don't consider you as any sort of measuring stick.  

I learned English as a second language, so shouldn't I be the one having difficulty with comprehension? 

Edited by Volkmar
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We typically have chippy games with LA Tech, Houston, and UTEP also. 

• Downvote 2

18 hours ago, UNTexas said:

As someone who went on several recruiting trips I have pretty good insight as to what recruits like. A recruit doesn't care about a 100 history. Coaches and players they meet make a big impact. Family is big. Facilities are big. Especially these days. Your dome is not your stadium. We use to play at Texas Stadium. It wasn't something I liked as a player either. The kids know it too. It was for that NFL team SA never got. Thankfully we built a stadium. I obviously looked at schools. Scheduling. Girls were a big one that you don't really say out loud. These days social media has become big (But I'm anti social media, I think it's silly. Personal choice...unless GMG is a form of social media?) The list goes on but it's late. Did I mention girls and parties? (That one has to be stressed.)

UTSA & UNT are getting similar players. Both of these programs will always struggle recruiting in Texas as long as P5 and every other state poaches Texas kids. UTSA isn't some shiny gem the kids are clamoring for. Regardless what the cool aid tastes like. We at UNT have had our ups and downs and get it. Just wait til y'alls first big nose dive occurs. That reality will suck.

I don't know where you think y'all travel so much better. Especially here. Recently Lamar sent more fans up here than UTSA ever has and they had a natural disaster to contend with. I honestly think a lot of our fans mostly don't see you guys as a big game so they aren't inclined to go down there. I know Rice will have a lot of us there. The Football Alumni Association has a tent planned for that game. As do other groups. SMU for obvious reasons has tons of events set up for our alumni and fans. (We also most likely out numbered their fans the last few times we went to Ford.) There's other stuff UNT does for away games but I've never seen anyone or group I associate with set up anything for UTSA. Like I said before thats not meant to be demeaning towards y'all, its just the way it is. It's just not a game most of our alumni and fans are really in to. The players and coaches are super into UTSA though, for the next 9 days anyway. 

If girls and parties were as big as you claimed, Texas State (at least according to them) should be one of the top G5's in the state. Agree with you on coaches, players they meet, and family being big though. I wasn't aware that you guys used to play at the old Texas Stadium though. Interesting to know. UH also used to play in the Astrodome, as well as sharing Rice Stadium, before they eventually built their own as well, which kinda makes me chuckle when fans from said schools make disparaging remarks about us not having our own stadium yet in only our 7th season.  

Edited by Volkmar
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Volkmar said:

If girls and parties were as big as you claimed, Texas State (at least according to them) should be one of the top G5's in the state. Agree with you on coaches, players they meet, and family being big though. I wasn't aware that you guys used to play at the old Texas Stadium though. Interesting to know. UH also used to play in the Astrodome, as well as sharing Rice Stadium, before they eventually built their own as well, which kinda makes me chuckle when fans from said schools make disparaging remarks about us not having our own stadium yet in only our 7th season.  

Yeah, the stadium argument is silly. We had Fouts Field forever but we'd play bigger opponents at Texas Stadium because Fouts just didn't cut it. Stadiums are just so damned expensive. Everyone here is really happy with Apogee but it was worse than getting teeth pulled to get it done. UNT was it's worst enemy for ages athletically but we finally have leadership that supports it and gets it. Texas State does seem to have it going on as far coeds. At least they use to. I think they had to be swim suit ready for the river.

Edited by UNTexas

50 minutes ago, Volkmar said:

We typically have chippy games with LA Tech, Houston, and UTEP also. 

Every game is chippy y’all play, because Coker wanted to bring Trash U to San Antonio and that mentality has stuck. That attitude extends to your fanbase, which is baffling. Every time I’ve ever interacted with someone from SA they’re the friendliest folk around, plus SA is fun. TX-San Antonio doesn’t really reflect their city, which is Coker’s fault.

Y’all get into Twitter pissing matches more than any fanbase in CUSA, and y’all the most crap. Baffling, Spurs fans and the organization are a complete opposite. That must be because they have integrity, oh, and they win.

Good luck this weekend. Hope UTSA wins, so that we can shatter your dreams.

I’m wasting no more time thinking about you people any longer. Just looking forward to the game.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Every game is chippy y’all play, because Coker wanted to bring Trash U to San Antonio and that mentality has stuck. That attitude extends to your fanbase, which is baffling. Every time I’ve ever interacted with someone from SA they’re the friendliest folk around, plus SA is fun. TX-San Antonio doesn’t really reflect their city, which is Coker’s fault.

Y’all get into Twitter pissing matches more than any fanbase in CUSA, and y’all the most crap. Baffling, Spurs fans and the organization are a complete opposite. That must be because they have integrity, oh, and they win.

Good luck this weekend. Hope UTSA wins, so that we can shatter your dreams.

I’m wasting no more time thinking about you people any longer. Just looking forward to the game.

Believe me, you're not the first to say that about Coker. I've met and talked to him on more than a couple occasions, and he always seemed like a down-to-earth guy to me, very personable, not the kind who would carry that reputation. How much truth there is to all that's said about him, I can't honestly say, but I do appreciate him wanting to be our first coach and giving us at least some measure of credibility from the outset.

Edited by Volkmar
  • Downvote 1

I know absolutely nothing about what UTSA is. Do they have any nationally ranked programs? Are they good at anything besides having obnoxious fans?

I have not met 1 UTSA alumn in my daily interactions, which makes me wonder what they do. Is there even that many of them?

Obviously UTSA is not the reason our fans wanted to be in CUSA, unlike USM, La Tech, UTEP, Tulsa, Marshall, East Carolina and Tulane.

It should, then, come as no surprise that our fans are not excited to see UNT play UTSA, and are especially not interested in traveling to San Antonio.

Personally, I'd rather go to a game in El Paso, Houston or Ruston. I'd even be willing to go to San Marcos.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Volkmar said:

Believe me, you're not the first to say that about Coker. I've met and talked to him on more than a couple occasions, and he always seemed like a down-to-earth guy to me, very personable, not the kind who would carry that reputation. How much truth there is to that, I can't honestly say, but I do appreciate him wanting to be our first coach and giving us at least some measure of credibility from the outset.

I don’t know what it is, then. Something about your team is offputting. I would live in SA, it’s a beautiful fun town. I love the people, I love the food, the culture, everything.

UTSA’s football team—in my mind—is a bunch of classless tools. I cannot figure out where this comes from. Unlike SMU where I dislike their fans but like Chad Morris and the way the team plays...everything about UTSA makes me irrationally pissed off. It’s the same reason everyone hated Miami, it’s that classless demeanor combined with being good. Your players ran onto the field, flipped off the student section, threatened to jump us on Fry Street, and threw shit into the stands in 2013. Your fans threatened and doxxed UNT fans on Twitter.

Like...really? Why? Because we called y’all a start-up? I mean having a chip on your shoulder is nice but UTSA took it to an extreme. For that, I hope you lose every game. I was raised a Buckeye fan, and I’m pretty sure my dislike for UTSA is more intense than my dad—an alumni of OSU—has for Michigan. That is crazy.

Before I decided on NT, I even considered doing CAP at UTSA, but at the end of the day, UT costs too much. I had nothing against UTSA until the first time y’all ran out onto the field against us in 2013.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I don’t know what it is, then. Something about your team is offputting. I would live in SA, it’s a beautiful fun town. I love the people, I love the food, the culture, everything.

UTSA’s football team—in my mind—is a bunch of classless tools. I cannot figure out where this comes from. Unlike SMU where I dislike their fans but like Chad Morris and the way the team plays...everything about UTSA makes me irrationally pissed off. It’s the same reason everyone hated Miami, it’s that classless demeanor combined with being good. Your players ran onto the field, flipped off the student section, threatened to jump us on Fry Street, and threw shit into the stands in 2013. Your fans threatened and doxxed UNT fans on Twitter.

Like...really? Why? Because we called y’all a start-up? I mean having a chip on your shoulder is nice but UTSA took it to an extreme. For that, I hope you lose every game. 

I was at that game, but don't have all the details on that, and believe me when I say your fans weren't exactly angels toward ours on social media or at the game, nor toward our players at that game either. So it's just not as one-sided as you're making this out to be, and goes far beyond merely calling us a "start-up". Heck, we called ourselves a start-up because that's precisely what we were. 

That said, as a math teacher who has also coached football, basketball, track, softball, and soccer, I've always made it clear to my athletes that there would be consequences for the team if they didn't conduct themselves in an appropriate manner, regardless of what other players or fans might say or do. So regardless of who initiated it all, which really can't be established, it's disappointing when a college team can't conduct themselves more appropriately in response.

I on the other hand had no bad experiences at Apogee on the side I sat on, which was your home side. The complaints I heard and read about came from the side our team was on, even from a father and mother who were there supporting UTSA with their little kids. 

Edited by Volkmar

28 minutes ago, Volkmar said:

I was at that game, but don't have all the details on that, and believe me when I say your fans weren't exactly angels toward ours on social media or at the game, nor toward our players at that game either. So it's just not as one-sided as you're making this out to be, and goes far beyond merely calling us a "start-up". Heck, we called ourselves a start-up because that's precisely what we were. 

That said, as a math teacher who has also coached football, basketball, track, softball, and soccer, I've always made it clear to my athletes that there would be consequences for the team if they didn't conduct themselves in an appropriate manner, regardless of what other players or fans might say or do. So regardless of who initiated it all, which really can't be established, it's disappointing when a college team can't conduct themselves more appropriately in response.

I on the other hand had no bad experiences at Apogee on the side I sat on, which was your home side. The complaints I heard and read about came from the side our team was on, even from a father and mother who were there supporting UTSA with their little kids. 

I was at that game in 2013 and sat near enough to the UNT student section to see them throw things on the field at the UTSA players and hear some of the things that were being said. I know young, and probably inebriated youngsters are not how you should judge a group but I certainly understood why the UTSA player flipped off the student section. It didn't make it right, but I understood because it was bad. Luckily, my son was really too young to understand what was being said, otherwise we would've had to leave.

Your team just got into an altercation with UAB a couple of weeks ago after the game and clearly your coach was not happy with some of the things that his team was doing and saying.

The point is that fans tend to see things through their prism and it's understandable but if UNT fans think that incident in 2013 was all one-sided, that's simply incorrect. I was there.

Edited by RunnerDad
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1