My kid the football troll

oldguystudent

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

At the beginning of the school year, my kid took a Seth Littrell poster and hung it up in her dorm room.  Other kids in the dorm were giving her a hard time about it, we're not here for football, blah, blah, blah. 

So she kept moving the poster to prominent places where they would see it.  She hung it over the bathroom mirror, she would hang it from the ceiling above bunk beds. 

Yesterday, she took a whole stack of Seth Littrell posters (10ish of them) took god knows how many of those battle flags, a handful of pom-poms, and a couple of those things you cheer with and hung all of them in her dorm overnight.  

She also said several times that if she stays at UNT, she really, really wants to join the Mean Green Brigade (but that they really need to step up their marching routines) 

I like my kid. 

Sounds like she's being raised right!  You both missed out on some good burgers when you visited our tailgate.   @MeanGreenDadx2 is quite the grill master. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

She also said several times that if she stays at UNT, she really, really wants to join the Mean Green Brigade (but that they really need to step up their marching routines) 

I like my kid. 

You daughter is very observant.  I like your kid too(in a Green Brigade critique sort of way, of course).

• Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

At the beginning of the school year, my kid took a Seth Littrell poster and hung it up in her dorm room.  Other kids in the dorm were giving her a hard time about it, we're not here for football, blah, blah, blah. 

So she kept moving the poster to prominent places where they would see it.  She hung it over the bathroom mirror, she would hang it from the ceiling above bunk beds. 

Yesterday, she took a whole stack of Seth Littrell posters (10ish of them) took god knows how many of those battle flags, a handful of pom-poms, and a couple of those things you cheer with and hung all of them in her dorm overnight.  

I like my kid. 

1. Isn't it great to discover that your teenager is really a likable person?

2. What Band did she last march in that had a better marching routine?

11 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

2. What Band did she last march in that had a better marching routine?

She was in Lewisville, whose routines were about as exciting as watching paint dry.  Their director's M.O. is to always get a 1 at (I'm sorry, I don't know.  Is it UIL?) by doing the bare minimum requirements to perfection to get it. 

But she watched a lot of other schools do some really cool stuff. Hebron consistently went all out of theirs. Marcus is apparently the best in the district, but their annual band fees and time commitments are outrageous.  Lewisville was $400 a year.  Kid had a couple middle school classmates end up in Marcus, and they said it was like two or three thousand a year. 

Edited by oldguystudent

16 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

She was in Lewisville, whose routines were about as exciting as watching paint dry.  Their director's M.O. is to always get a 1 at (I'm sorry, I don't know.  Is it UIL?) by doing the bare minimum requirements to perfection to get it. 

But she watched a lot of other schools do some really cool stuff. Hebron consistently went all out of theirs. Marcus is apparently the best in the district, but their annual band fees and time commitments are outrageous.  Lewisville was $400 a year.  Kid had a couple middle school classmates end up in Marcus, and they said it was like two or three thousand a year. 

So just as I suspected, several local High Schools have much better marching routines than the Green Brigade.

Band fees? I've never heard of that.

The Band that I was in that got a 1 in UIL marching,  did the same thing as Lewisville. Bare minimum.....but done very precisely.........Band Fees?

1 minute ago, SilverEagle said:

Well, my son played football so I don't know anything about Band fees. I wonder how long that's been around.

It's hard to say.  I always stayed an arm's length away from school stuff.  That was almost exclusively a mother's domain, so I just wrote the checks and steered clear.  I went to musicals and football games quietly and anonymously. 

33 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

So just as I suspected, several local High Schools have much better marching routines than the Green Brigade.

Band fees? I've never heard of that.

The Band that I was in that got a 1 in UIL marching,  did the same thing as Lewisville. Bare minimum.....but done very precisely.........Band Fees?

600 bucks for my kid this year at braswell...