Trevor Moore’s Replacement

AustinFromUNT

56 minutes ago, UNTMike81 said:

Coach Dickey sued UNT for $500,000.00 for wrongful termination I believe and won the lawsuit. It's unbelievable that after that the UNT practice field(s) were named after a Coach that won a lawsuit for $500,000.00.

Is this true?  I never heard this and have looked around and cannot find any reference to a lawsuit against North Texas.

Back to McGehee, if he were qualified, why is he not punting anywhere now?

4 hours ago, meangreenthirteen said:

there's a huge difference in speed at the college level. He has around 2 fewer seconds to get the ball placed and get a good shot off. For whatever reason, he's getting scared and shanking the ball. The bootleg and rugby kick are designed to give him more time and less focus on form. There are thousands of kickers than can punt it 50+ yards in high school, but that's totally different experience.

This is another reason the rugby punt is clever. I ran several fakes this way. Just gotta catch them sleeping once, like Keena last year.

LOL....If the speed of the game is a concern in regards to a three step due to inexperience....then the last damn thing we would ever ask him to do is fake a punt and run with the ball.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

If I remember right, they were going to name the practice fields after Andrew Smith, but there was pushback from a big booster/donor (Mattress Mac?) that wanted them named after a Dickey.  Do I have that right?

I think I remember Mack donating and wanting named after Dickey but Dickey wanted it named after Smith. Ultimately Mack won out.

2 hours ago, UNTMike81 said:

We always wonder why we lose a recruiting battle. Then when the prospect actually provides the answer "You can thank the coaching staff", or to that affect. Then we question the punters motive. I guess because of "twitter". Vetto should ask coaching staff. Why would a recruit profit from lying? It profits no one to lying in the long run.

Point is our current UNT punting game is really sub par (stinks), so as fans we should be asking or looking for a solution. If the coaches don't the fans and team all have to live with the result.

As long as I've been a UNT fan, even to the point of not reading the board or watching UNT football (lots of coaches), or basketball ie Benford era recruiting has always been a core issue with UNT athletics. Many here were extremely critical of Coach Dickey's stealth recruiting or recruiting talent from smaller 2,3,4A high schools and yet no other coaches teams since Coach Dickey have fared to Coach Dickey's team production.

Not only that, I don't think another UNT coach has had to deal with the death of a starting QB like Coach Dickey's team did since. This is one of the reason mattress Mack hasn't supported UNT football for such a long period of time (maybe Mattress Mac in now). Mattress Mack personally funding the funeral and other expenses incurred by UNT and the players of the team when QB past. Then Coach Dickey is fired in the middle of fight with Diabetes and subsequent hart attack. 

Coach Dickey sued UNT for $500,000.00 for wrongful termination I believe and won the lawsuit. It's unbelievable that after that the UNT practice field(s) were named after a Coach that won a lawsuit for $500,000.00.

I agree with most of what you said except that Andrew was not a starter when he died, Scott Hall was, although Andrew likely would've started in '05 after hall graduated. But because Smith died and Johnathan Ieans didn't get his crap together, we were left with redshirt freshman Daniel Meager and true freshman Matt Phillips to take the snaps.

Edited by Cr1028

18 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

LOL....If the speed of the game is a concern in regards to a three step due to inexperience....then the last damn thing we would ever ask him to do is fake a punt and run with the ball.

Rick

I haven't seen him run in open field, but I would guess he isn't slow. But that's more about establishing the pattern until the other team is caught sleeping. Keena's fake was a 15 yard gain IIRC. And the speed of catching the ball and setting it before kicking is a different beast than just straight-up running your ass off to the edge. The former requires speed and precision, the latter just speed.

Edited by meangreenthirteen

1 minute ago, meangreenthirteen said:

I haven't seen him run in open field, but I would guess he isn't slow. But that's more about establishing the pattern until the other team is caught sleeping. Keena's fake was a 15 yard gain IIRC. And the speed of catching the ball and setting it before kicking is a different beast than just straight-up running your ass off to the edge. The former requires speed and precision, the latter just speed.

Ok....but Keena had been doing it for a while by then.  AK hasn't.   Right now AK needs a series of successful three step punts to gain his confidence.  After he's accomplished that...then I'd ask him to attempt other options.

Just my opinion.

Rick

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Ok....but Keena had been doing it for a while by then.  AK hasn't.   Right now AK needs a series of successful three step punts to gain his confidence.  After he's accomplished that...then I'd ask him to attempt other options.

Just my opinion.

Rick

Oh yeah. I mean this conversation would be moot if we had a legit d1 punter. They would come in with a lot of experience with different punts.

• Lovely Take 1

13 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And why isn't he playing somewhere else now?

Because he couldn't get an offer after UNT??

8 hours ago, greenjoe said:

I know nothing about recruiting or young Austin McGeehee but his facebook (?) post suggests that the NT coaching staff prevented him from coming to NT.  If he needed a class, was there anything a coach could have done differently ?

It was on Twitter, and the only other thing that coulda been differently was find out about the class sooner, and if we knew then why sign him? Or was he not eligible at the time we hoped he could be? 

7 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Is this true?  I never heard this and have looked around and cannot find any reference to a lawsuit against North Texas.

Back to McGehee, if he were qualified, why is he not punting anywhere now?

Likely because signed with UNT and by the time his class finished teams had filled the slots on there roster.. 

We have to remember the JUCO guys we picked up like Haynes, Johnson, Jenkins, Peters, etc they took summer classes and then weren't finished with class till a week before camp and then missed multiple weeks waiting for them to be eligible.. 

Teams aren't going to sit and wait for a Punter and hope they qualify 

8 hours ago, UNTMike81 said:

We always wonder why we lose a recruiting battle. Then when the prospect actually provides the answer "You can thank the coaching staff", or to that affect. Then we question the punters motive. I guess because of "twitter". Vetto should ask coaching staff. Why would a recruit profit from lying? It profits no one to lying in the long run.

I'm guessing Vetto, is Vito...  I don't think that SL could even comment about him since he isn't on the team.. this is not a big deal honestly, it was only brought to our attention because of a random Tweet by a kid who is back playing another year in JUCO.. he is likely bitter that UNT wasn't going to wait.. Which is smart, sorry but why risk him not showing up at all? I'm sure if he really wanted to be at UNT he could have transferred and then walked on.. 

-----------------------------------

Side note, he tweeted out saying looking for a Punter and his Hudl highlights on 5-13-17.. so he knew before then that the offer had been pulled (Im assuming).. and I'm going to guess that if we pulled an offer, then the staff knew of him needing a summer class. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1

34 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

-----------------------------------

Side note, he tweeted out saying looking for a Punter and his Hudl highlights on 5-13-17.. so he knew before then that the offer had been pulled (Im assuming).. and I'm going to guess that if we pulled an offer, then the staff knew of him needing a summer class. 

Interesting that Kenworthy committed on 5-9-17. Must've been a deal where McGehee's grades weren't where they needed to be after the spring semester grades came out. That or they gave up on him because he couldn't deliver Deandre McNeal. I guess Kenworthy was the best of the rest but why waste a full scholarship on a guy you weren't wholeheartedly after in the first place? I'd have rather had a walk on punt this year and get a big time punter in '18 rather than settle now.

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Interesting that Kenworthy committed on 5-9-17. Must've been a deal where McGehee's grades weren't where they needed to be after the spring semester grades came out. That or they gave up on him because he couldn't deliver Deandre McNeal. I guess Kenworthy was the best of the rest but why waste a full scholarship on a guy you weren't wholeheartedly after in the first place? I'd have rather had a walk on punt this year and get a big time punter in '18 rather than settle now.

We will never have an idea if Kenworthy was 1b to McGhee at 1A or if it 1 and 2.. either way Kenworthy is here.. even with him struggling, im fine with it let's give hope it's behind him now.

McGhee can be sour towards UNT for him getting passed over but if the dude can't cut it in the classroom it's not a worthy investment if he is only on the field for 5-6 plays total.. 

We do have a PWO at Punter in Patterson (Believe #93?).. I would agree that it be nice to have it filled but it was a hole now that needed to be filled and Biagini likely was able to pick/recruit his guy over McGhee

Edited by BTG_Fan1