Trevor Moore’s Replacement

AustinFromUNT

Just now, FirefightnRick said:

Kenworthy isn't here because he's not able.  He will improve.  He just needs to quit thinking about it and get it out of there.  His scariest game of the year is now behind him.  I expect we'll see improvement from here on.

Rick

whoever has had the yips in golf can certainly relate....once its in your head.....

• Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

whoever has had the yips in golf can certainly relate....once its in your head.....

BTW, I just rewatched AK's hudl video from Kilgore.

Not one of his highlighted punts was from the soccer style.  All were from the standard straight-on, three step approach and he hit several beyond 50 yards.  The kid has a strong leg.

So I have no idea why we would ask him to do otherwise?  It's possible that all the blame for the recent poor performance instead lays squarely at the feet of the coach who told him to soccer kick it, instead of allowing him to do what he does best...punt away straight on.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Not one of his highlighted punts was from the soccer style.  All we're from the standard straight-on, three step approach and he hit several beyond 50 yards.  The kid has a strong leg.

So I have no idea why we would ask him to do otherwise?  It's possible that all the blame for the recent poor performance instead lays squarely at the feet of the coach who told him to soccer kick it, instead of allowing him to do what he does best...punt away straight on.

Rick

Possible... quite possible indeed.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

24 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Not one of his highlighted punts was from the soccer style.  All were from the standard straight-on, three step approach and he hit several beyond 50 yards.  The kid has a strong leg.

Rick

Yeah.  I've seen Kenworthy get a hold of some when he's not rugby-kicking.   

• Upvote 1

So there's this.

https://twitter.com/NTMG07/status/910964925031428097

Essentially we told the #4 juco punter in the nation "no thanks"  because he had a summer class to take. Biagi's hits just keep coming.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=JuniorCollege&Position=P

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So there's this.

So essentially we told the #4 juco punter in the nation "no thanks"  because he had a summer class to take. Biagi's hits just keep coming.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=JuniorCollege&Position=P

That decision would be on Littrell.

• Upvote 1

The replacement for Trevor Moore is already on the roster.  His name is Zack Williams from Louisville KY.  He is a Kicking World All-American.  He appears to be close to Moore in ability.  Trevor has had 112 straight PATs and Williams hit 84 of 85 in high school.  He also has a tremendous leg for kickoffs.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

That decision would be on Littrell.

We have no idea if it was truly on SL.. Also, if it was, why risk a kid who we have to wait till last minute for him to qualify? They did that with the AZ Western/LA Valley guys.. Johnson, Hoston never made it.. Turner was gone before his 1st game, Jenkins and Dee couldn't practice till week 2 or 3 of camp.. 

Yes it would be great if he was here (possibly) but we don't have the whole story, we just have his side in 1 sentence.. SL isn't going to pull an offer after a kid has signed.. 

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

So there's this.

Essentially we told the #4 juco punter in the nation "no thanks"  because he had a summer class to take. Biagi's hits just keep coming.

20 minutes ago, greenminer said:

And it's still his responsibility.

If you honestly think that SL pulled the offer after the kid signed for no real reason, that's dumb.. 

If the kid was needing another class then he was borderline and he shoulda been on top of his stuff, if he had been a D1 prospect before.. 

23 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

there's a huge difference in speed at the college level. He has around 2 fewer seconds to get the ball placed and get a good shot off. For whatever reason, he's getting scared and shanking the ball. The bootleg and rugby kick are designed to give him more time and less focus on form. There are thousands of kickers than can punt it 50+ yards in high school, but that's totally different experience.

21 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Maybe he's setting up for a fake punt/run.

This is another reason the rugby punt is clever. I ran several fakes this way. Just gotta catch them sleeping once, like Keena last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

We always wonder why we lose a recruiting battle. Then when the prospect actually provides the answer "You can thank the coaching staff", or to that affect. Then we question the punters motive. I guess because of "twitter". Vetto should ask coaching staff. Why would a recruit profit from lying? It profits no one to lying in the long run.

Point is our current UNT punting game is really sub par (stinks), so as fans we should be asking or looking for a solution. If the coaches don't the fans and team all have to live with the result.

As long as I've been a UNT fan, even to the point of not reading the board or watching UNT football (lots of coaches), or basketball ie Benford era recruiting has always been a core issue with UNT athletics. Many here were extremely critical of Coach Dickey's stealth recruiting or recruiting talent from smaller 2,3,4A high schools and yet no other coaches teams since Coach Dickey have fared to Coach Dickey's team production.

Not only that, I don't think another UNT coach has had to deal with the death of a starting QB like Coach Dickey's team did since. This is one of the reason mattress Mack hasn't supported UNT football for such a long period of time (maybe Mattress Mac in now). Mattress Mack personally funding the funeral and other expenses incurred by UNT and the players of the team when QB past. Then Coach Dickey is fired in the middle of fight with Diabetes and subsequent hart attack. 

Coach Dickey sued UNT for $500,000.00 for wrongful termination I believe and won the lawsuit. It's unbelievable that after that the UNT practice field(s) were named after a Coach that won a lawsuit for $500,000.00.

18 minutes ago, UNTMike81 said:

We always wonder why we lose a recruiting battle. Then when the prospect actually provides the answer "You can thank the coaching staff", or to that affect. Then we question the punters motive. I guess because of "twitter". Vetto should ask coaching staff. Why would a recruit profit from lying? It profits no one to lying in the long run.

Point is our current UNT punting game is really sub par (stinks), so as fans we should be asking or looking for a solution. If the coaches don't the fans and team all have to live with the result.

As long as I've been a UNT fan, even to the point of not reading the board or watching UNT football (lots of coaches), or basketball ie Benford era recruiting has always been a core issue with UNT athletics. Many here were extremely critical of Coach Dickey's stealth recruiting or recruiting talent from smaller 2,3,4A high schools and yet no other coaches teams since Coach Dickey have fared to Coach Dickey's team production.

Not only that, I don't think another UNT coach has had to deal with the death of a starting QB like Coach Dickey's team did since. This is one of the reason mattress Mack hasn't supported UNT football for such a long period of time (maybe Mattress Mac in now). Mattress Mack personally funding the funeral and other expenses incurred by UNT and the players of the team when QB past. Then Coach Dickey is fired in the middle of fight with Diabetes and subsequent hart attack. 

Coach Dickey sued UNT for $500,000.00 for wrongful termination I believe and won the lawsuit. It's unbelievable that after that the UNT practice field(s) were named after a Coach that won a lawsuit for $500,000.00.

If I remember right, they were going to name the practice fields after Andrew Smith, but there was pushback from a big booster/donor (Mattress Mac?) that wanted them named after a Dickey.  Do I have that right?