UAB game recruit visits

TheReal_jayD

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

They all had their eyes opened when they saw the size and speed of our guys, yes even at UNT D1 dudes are much bigger and faster than your average HS kid.  They loved the presentation on facilities and where the University is headed.  They loved that UNT had a lot of options academically and that they had invested so much $ into new facilities not just athletically but academically.  The pitch from last year to this year changed a bit, in that last year they talked a lot more about each coach and where they recruited this year they hit big time on facilities/upgrades/renovations and the new Nike contract.  Didn't go into details about that only that they were maxed in storage.  The facility expansion of athletic complex (offices team room etc, will begin once indoor is finished).  Also fun fact the day we're done with fall practice the bull dozer will begin moving dirt for the indoor, if I heard correctly.  The pictures of the new indoor looked incredible.  The kids were very impressed by the different graphics etc.  even the team room had upgrades since the last time I was in.  

Negatives: they all mentioned how tiny the weight room was, one asked where the football weight room was, as we walked in.  That got answered in the facilities expansion.  Looks like they'll blow out the training room and make that all the weight room doubling its size with the ability to expand further if $ allows.  

A bit disorganized at the end of the game, no one to grab all recruits and say ok we're going into the LR for post game speech.  Kind of left to our own to figure out where to go. Also once we were dropped off in stands by the girls helping out that was the last of anyone we saw.  Wish we had some type of halftime deal where kids and family went back inside saw a different presentation maybe highlights, or have Former players come in and talk about their time at the university.  There is much less "hype" in our recruiting process than the other schools I've been to, and kids relate to that.  Energy was a bit flat throughout the evening.  When I attended an SMU (gross) game with one of my kids the energy level was off the charts and it resonated with the kids.  Just my observations and what I heard from the kids. 

Positives- Every kid there was raving about our staff and their relationship with them.  Spoke with a Local kid who we are in on, and he said he had bigger offers but he loved the staff and loved what they were building.  Think we have a solid shot on him, kid has his head on his shoulders straight.  He isn't one who will get the wool pulled over his eyes.  

Someone needs to get this directly to Wren Baker and Seth Littrell. 

On 9/23/2017 at 11:13 AM, TheReal_jayD said:

This is a list that i have confirmed will be in #NewDenton. Now i figure there will be several other Visitors and some unofficial visitors but these are only the ones i have confirmed. Also there is 5 kids committed to other schools that i have confirmed will be here. But I am Keeping them off the list as well.

Committed visitors

Keelan Crosby Safety 

Jordan Redfearn OL

Kason Martin QB

Larry NIxon LB

Jaxon Gibbs Safety

Uncommited Targets

Jaquan Tillis APB

Stefan Cobbs WR (Having a Huge bounce back year from ACL injury. Received Boise State and Tulane offer in last week)

Jyaire Shorter WR

those are ones with offers I have confirmed There will be many others there that are close to offers 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">going out to UNT today catch <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachBrownUNT">@CoachBrownUNT</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachFilaUNT">@CoachFilaUNT</a> handle business against UAB 🤙🏾 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoMeanGreen?src=hash">#GoMeanGreen</a></p>&mdash; G🚀 (@g_gawd3000) <a href="https://twitter.com/g_gawd3000/status/911615377402187779">September 23, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">UNT game today 🦅</p>&mdash; KC¹⁵ (@__iamKC) <a href="https://twitter.com/__iamKC/status/911619491355820032">September 23, 2017</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">UNT today🤘🏾 <a href="https://twitter.com/simplyCoachO">@simplyCoachO</a></p>&mdash; Tyler Knoop (@13Knoop) <a href="https://twitter.com/13Knoop/status/911612176112156672">September 23, 2017</a></blockquote>

Any update on how these guys liked it?

I can deal with the negative feedback on the weight room given that it'll be expanded with the facility upgrades. However, the inclusion of "hype" in the recruiting process is an extremely important intangible that literally becomes the cherry on top -- if everything is there but there's no excitement, you're going to have a hard time selling your product. That absolutely needs to be addressed. That being said, I can imagine it being easier to incorporate once we have a couple winnings seasons under our belt. Hype comes automatically with swagger, and swagger comes with wins.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, James329 said:

WB, SL, and then recruiting guys.. BTG did a little segment about it during last year and I believe that Shane Elder was on of the guys that helped coordinate the visits from dinners, to hotels, etc... Need to pass this along to as many people as possible.. 

5 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Have talked to almost all! They said they loved the atmosphere and the coaching staff! And most of all had fun! No negative feedback 

Great to hear and hopefully it moved UNT up a slot or two.. 

Will any of these guys be coming back for another visit later in the season? Would really like to see Shorter end up here (but noticed Wilson from UTSA was following him)..

2 hours ago, dmaxel said:

I can deal with the negative feedback on the weight room given that it'll be expanded with the facility upgrades. However, the inclusion of "hype" in the recruiting process is an extremely important intangible that literally becomes the cherry on top -- if everything is there but there's no excitement, you're going to have a hard time selling your product. That absolutely needs to be addressed. That being said, I can imagine it being easier to incorporate once we have a couple winnings seasons under our belt. Hype comes automatically with swagger, and swagger comes with wins.

Agreed with all of it, its worrisome about the weight room and have brought this up before.. a lot of the local schools districts have an IPF and the schools have football only weight rooms.. Adding those two are critical just to catching up and improving the "image" of UNT commitment to football.. 

Was disappointed in the student side being late to showing up, and then a number of people leaving before halftime as well.. But hopefully the result of the game will makes people want to come to see more UNT games.. 

8 hours ago, James329 said:

No doubt, however I've got skin in the game and don't want it to affect any of my kids going forward.  I'd love to sit down with Wren and talk about it, I am going to try and go to games at home for TCU, SMU, Baylor maybe GAG Utsa.  If we have away games scheduled, just to see what it is like.  

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

No doubt, however I've got skin in the game and don't want it to affect any of my kids going forward.  I'd love to sit down with Wren and talk about it, I am going to try and go to games at home for TCU, SMU, Baylor maybe GAG Utsa.  If we have away games scheduled, just to see what it is like.  

That would suck but it would be good information to pass along to the staff about what other programs are doing.. it sucks that UNT is just getting to things teams have done for years.. 

11 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

That would suck but it would be good information to pass along to the staff about what other programs are doing.. it sucks that UNT is just getting to things teams have done for years.. 

Well, at least we are getting there.  When I was your age, we weren't doing what the other teams were doing and had no plan to get there.

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Well, at least we are getting there.  When I was your age, we weren't doing what the other teams were doing and had no plan to get there.

True we have made progress...

Creating positions that were needed like the Graphics, and the Sports Nutritionist are things we are catching up in. 

2 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Talked to Jaquan Tillis today he said he really liked the UNT coaches and had a great time.  Said they were showing lots of love.  I asked him if he was going to commit and he said not yet, so take that for what its worth.

Hopefully we had A LOT more positive things for him to say about the visit than negatives, and it sounds like it from what you have posted.

• Upvote 1

Most schools orchestrate visits down to the last detail.  What they see, who they meet, where they go, and what sales pitches they get.  Sure there are options and some down time, but it doesn't seem based on these posts that NT has it totally altogether at this point.  

The competition largely dictates what is expected and based on the number of recruits NT is losing to peer institutions, NT is not measuring up on visits.  The good news is that NT is moving in the right direction.  

Also it is great to me, that neither Baker or LIttrell has made excuses for their lack of success in beating out peer programs for recruits.  

I am really interested to hear how the upcoming visit to UTSA @GMG24 is taking. The reason is that they are getting good recruits and I want to see what their dog and pony show is. I know Wilson is a hell of a recruiter but their has to be something else that these kids are seeing down there and I am very intrigued.

Thank you for all your past and future insight @GMG24