New Soccer, Track Stadium To Break Ground In October

Cerebus

This is exciting news and it's nice to see it get going.   When this was approved by the BOR and funded back in February and then delayed in May, we were told the delay was to "allow UNT to build the best venue possible."  Does anyone know what changed since May?  Was the design of the facility changed (improve/enhanced), more seating, etc.? Did we negotiate a better deal on the construction (saving $ or getting more bang for the buck)?  Just curious what goes on the make this a better venue (or deal) now than it was back in May.

Anyone read the presser and cringe a little when they noticed who the general contractor was and what they built that has had known problems since completion?

The general contractor will be Pogue Construction, which has completed multiple projects in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, including the Greek Life Center on UNT campus and Allen High School football's Eagle Stadium, a $54 million facility.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, keith said:

This is exciting news and it's nice to see it get going.   When this was approved by the BOR and funded back in February and then delayed in May, we were told the delay was to "allow UNT to build the best venue possible."  Does anyone know what changed since May?  Was the design of the facility changed (improve/enhanced), more seating, etc.? Did we negotiate a better deal on the construction (saving $ or getting more bang for the buck)?  Just curious what goes on the make this a better venue (or deal) now than it was back in May.

This is all part of the bureaucracy of academia, and unfortunately out of the control of Athletics administration.

44 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Anyone read the presser and cringe a little when they noticed who the general contractor was and what they built that has had known problems since completion?

Not really. Pogue is a really popular construction company in the McKinney area -- I think my high school in Melissa was built by them. All of those projects ended up just fine. Plus this construction project won't be nearly as big as Allen's stadium.

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, dmaxel said:

Not really. Pogue is a really popular construction company in the McKinney area -- I think my high school in Melissa was built by them. All of those projects ended up just fine. Plus this construction project won't be nearly as big as Allen's stadium.

Hope you are right, because the issue with Allen's stadium wasn't a result of the scope, but rather ignoring basic construction rules like expansion joints, placement of rebar, etc...

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Nope. I think Allen's problems were more in the engineering than the construction.  And, I imagine the engineering here will be scrutinized very closely.  Plus...this is not as much concrete as the Allen stadium. But, yes, I thought of it, just not worried.

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Money for this is already in hand.  Only possibly delays are in construction.  

I thought they had the plan and everything, and was just waiting some more donor $.. with them having 2 of the 3 big donations they wanted? Or did I misread/miss something?

10 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Also worth noting at the end of the meangreeensports link, it says "It will also be the initial project leading into the announcement of a 20-year master plan later this fall, which will include several capital campaign initiatives"

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I thought they had the plan and everything, and was just waiting some more donor $.. with them having 2 of the 3 big donations they wanted? Or did I misread/miss something?

Also worth noting at the end of the meangreeensports link, it says "It will also be the initial project leading into the announcement of a 20-year master plan later this fall, which will include several capital campaign initiatives"

The soccer/track complex was fully funded in February of 2017.   For some reason, yet to be fully explained IMHO, the project was delayed until now to "allow UNT to build the best venue possible."  Vito went as far as saying that the delay was a good thing, which I have not quite figured out yet. 

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

That's the IPF.

2 hours ago, keith said:

The soccer/track complex was fully funded in February of 2017.   For some reason, yet to be fully explained IMHO, the project was delayed until now to "allow UNT to build the best venue possible."  Vito went as far as saying that the delay was a good thing, which I have not quite figured out yet. 

My bad, The comment I quoted from @Cerebus was about the money in hand/IPF.. I thought it was saying we already had the money for the IPF and was waiting on construction plans.. 

He meant that we had the $ for the soccer/track and it was delayed because of the construction part. 

4 hours ago, Cooley said:

When will they widen Bonnie Brae to get folks in and out of this area?

City of Denton has already said that's gonna happen once the construction on 35 is done. They didn't want to try and do both at the same time. Not wanting all that heavy equipment and cement trucks n stuff trying to get around in an already congested and messed up area.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I'm not really a soccer guy, but based on the renderings they has at the Coaches' Caravan and more recently in the AD offices, the approach for corner kicks will be from the track surface.  Might that be problematic?  Any soccer gurus want to chime in?

I've always heard soccer coaches say that's just one of the things players get used to.

• Thanks 1