DRC: UNT aims to rebound, snap slide vs. FBS teams at Iowa

Brett Vito

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

1 week prior to the Lamar game, coach Littrell was REALLY talking up Barr, and about how he's improved.  1 1/2 games later, he's out.  Weird.

Yeah I found that strange too. Mose seems fairly small too. I mean he's listed at 276, seems like he could get blown off the ball a lot easier than Barr.

Maybe an undisclosed injury?

24 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Yeah I found that strange too. Mose seems fairly small too. I mean he's listed at 276, seems like he could get blown off the ball a lot easier than Barr.

Maybe an undisclosed injury?

Maybe so, but my thoughts on this is that we're starting to see who are gamers and who aren't. Maybe Barr showed up in practice, but didn't cut it during real games. Darden is a gamer and has ice in his veins. We need that chip on their shoulder type of mentality out there when it counts. 

• Lovely Take 1

Just now, cdizzle86 said:

Maybe so, but my thoughts on this is that we're starting to see who are gamers and who aren't. Maybe Barr showed up in practice, but didn't cut it during real games. Darden is a gamer and has ice in his veins. We need that chip on their shoulder type of mentality out there when it counts. 

I don't know. Barr was pretty highly decorated coming out of high school and we were Mose's only offer coming out of JuCo. Maybe they see Mose just as a better fit since they're so big on "system" guys?

Hard to tell at this point, either way our OL is still trash until proven otherwise.

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

What happened to Pahinui?  I saw Mose getting pushed around and getting beat a lot during the smoo game.  I was expecting to hear him getting replaced, not that he solidified his spot.  Hoping Barr is healthy and available.

Pahinui was a OG in JUCO, and only started snapping once he got to UNT (I believe).. It had been said as well that he struggled with snapping (during spring practices), and I'm guessing it was the reason that they brought in Mose on top of him (Mose) being able to play C/OG... 

I did more checking on our FBS and FCS records over the last 10 years + 2 games so far. We are 37-87 in that timeframe, a .298 winning percentage. Enjoy:

Here's our splits: FBS opponents since 2007-- we went 1-10 FBS (WKU was transitioning to FBS, but was still FCS) 1-0

2008: FBS Opponents: 1-11 thank God for WKU back then-- NO FCS

2009: FBS Opponents: 2-10 (wins over Ball State and Todd Dodge's punching bag, WKU, who represented 3 of his 6 wins here) No FCS

2010: FBS Opponents: 3-9 (All road wins over FAU, WKU, of course, and MUTS) No FCS

2011: FBS Opponents: 5-7 (Dan McCarney's first year--we beat Indiana, FAU, ULM, Troy, and MUTS--but finally lost to WKU) NO FCS

2012: FBS Opponents: 2-8 (wins over FAU and ULL) FCS: 2-0 (beat Texas Southern and a transitioning South Alabama)

2013: FBS Opponents: 9-4 (Arguably our finest season since 1978--up there with the 2003 squad that also went 9-4) No FCS

2014: FBS Opponents: 3-8 (wins over SMUt, FAU, and FIU) FCS: 1-0 (annihilated Nicholls State, who might be able to beat us now if we played them)

2015: FBS Opponents: 1-10 (win over UTSA's 5th string QB, matching the worst season we have ever had since we moved up to FBS in 1995, with the 2008 squad) FCS: 0-1 (Portland St)

2016: FBS Opponents: 4-8 (wins over Army, Rice, Marshall, and USM) FCS: 1-0 (whooped Butt -Cookman)

2017: FBS Opponent:  0-1 (crushed by SMUt) FCS: 1-0 (crushed Lamar)

A few things stand out over this timeframe, which covered time in the SBC and CUSA, coached by Todd Dodge, Chico, DMac, Chico again, and now SL, and playing at Fouts and Apogee:

Western Kentucky was simply Todd Dodge's bitch in his tenure here--if you include the year he got fired and Chico finished up, Todd's teams went 4-0 against WKU, 4-36 against the others. FAU, who owned us for the first 6 meetings thru 2009, became Chico/DMac's bitch: since 2010, we are 4-0 against them, while those two combined to go 21-41 against everyone else.

That's an FBS record and winning percentage of 31-86 (.265)  Of those 31, conference wins are 24 of them in SBCUSA play, 2 against Ball State, 1 against a P5 team (IU), 1 against Army, 1 against SMU, 1 against UNLV in the HoD Bowl, and 1 against Idaho. We are 1-16 against P5s, including 0-15 on the road, with an average score of 45-12, but probably added a net $500k to the coffers each year as a guestimate, with another $900k coming from Iowa to help pay for Lamar's visit here.

But to sugarcoat this, since that is what UNTKING is saying I do here, our FCS record is a stellar 6-1 (.857)...so we've got that going for us. We would own the Southland Conference if we were still in it (I think...)

I think what we're all really missing is Brett Vito's development at his position. We haven't heard one reference to 2013 HoD Bowl MVP and UNT-Legend-At-Quarterback-Who-Many-People-Didn't-Support-Until-His-Stellar-Senior-Campaign-And-Really-Was-One-Of-The-Most-Underappreciated-Talents-To-Play-Here Derek Thompson. Making real strides at starting write-out.