Basketball (men's) non conference

ttunt1970

Horrible home schedule.   Eureka College, Bethume-Cookman, UT Rio Grande Valley, Rogers St, Grambling ST. McNeese St?   Indiana St.  as  the marquee game. 

The away schedule is quite challenging, however this home oc schedule makes Benford's home cupcakes look tough.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This is the most North Texas revenue sport home schedule that I've ever seen us roll out in either of the main sports here. You won't get 1200 people for any of those OOC games at the Pit.

i think if we beat some good teams on the road the home attendance will be better than what we had last year.

• Downvote 2

14 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This is the most North Texas revenue sport home schedule that I've ever seen us roll out in either of the main sports here. You won't get 1200 people for any of those OOC games at the Pit.

Just curious. Do you only come to games if they play certain teams? 

Support for UNT...your team...has nothing to do with it?

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Just curious. Do you only come to games if they play certain teams? 

Support for UNT...your team...has nothing to do with it?

With small kids and a full time job, yes, I make decisions on investing my time simply by seeing if UNT is playing someone that I care about. If they are, I try to make it. If they are playing the names on our non-conference schedule, that isn't a good investment of my time to leave the family or haul them all over to Denton (a good 45 minutes or so away on a good day) to watch us play Jarvis College or Northwood College at the Super Pit. I realize that makes me a bad fan, but the other 8-9k of empty seats suggests that I'm not alone.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

A challenge that goes into scheduling higher profile teams for home games is that we'll sadly start off with an RPI in the basement. Programs that care about their RPI for the sake of things like NCAA tournament seeding don't like playing low level schools where there is a risk of losing on the road because it negatively affects their RPI.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

With small kids and a full time job, yes, I make decisions on investing my time simply by seeing if UNT is playing someone that I care about. If they are, I try to make it. If they are playing the names on our non-conference schedule, that isn't a good investment of my time to leave the family or haul them all over to Denton (a good 45 minutes or so away on a good day) to watch us play Jarvis College or Northwood College at the Super Pit. I realize that makes me a bad fan, but the other 8-9k of empty seats suggests that I'm not alone.

Don't know why you think it would make you a bad fan. But, if your conscience makes you feel that way, I suggest you tell it to stop. Solid reasoning in my book.  But, no need for the snarky remark about the number that will be there. 

And, I'd wager right now that average attendance for our home OC games will exceed your 1200 estimate mark even though several will played with students on break, right?  I'm thinking season tickets alone will be above that 1200 mark. New coach and all. Plus, several folks have returned and purchased season tickets that had them in the past...I personally know 4 that are back after a several year "vacation". Fingers crossed.

And, as to the schedule...hoping we can win a bunch of them.

But, we are in CUSA with a pretty low conference RPI. So, twenty wins and a conference championship (not predicting that) will get us post-season zilch unless maybe we buy our way into a minor tourney.  Only way...win the post-season conference tourney I suspect.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

20 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

They should and will get an attendance  boost of having a new coaching staff.    I was even thinking of getting season tickets again, but there is no way I am going to spend a couple of hours travel to see any of those oc home games.  

3 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

A challenge that goes into scheduling higher profile teams for home games is that we'll sadly start off with an RPI in the basement. Programs that care about their RPI for the sake of things like NCAA tournament seeding don't like playing low level schools where there is a risk of losing on the road because it negatively affects their RPI.

Few good teams schedule any hard oc away games.  However,  NT is likely considered a very easy away game.  I don't think it has much to do with RPI. if it did NT could not schedule good teams away either.   

It is somewhat confusing that far better football oc schedules are severely criticized by fans.   I assume that there are not enough interested in MBB to even complain about scheduling.   This is a horrible oc schedule to start off hopefully a new era in basketball at NT.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 9/13/2017 at 7:41 PM, GrandGreen said:

They should and will get an attendance  boost of having a new coaching staff.    I was even thinking of getting season tickets again, but there is no way I am going to spend a couple of hours travel to see any of those oc home games.  

Few good teams schedule any hard oc away games.  

Speaking of which, look at Georgetown's schedule. 1 OOC away game.

• 1 month later...