Fun Facts: North Texas-Iowa

Harry

What, you say Iowa isn’t Las Vegas? Having been to both, my reply is this:

Tell me something I didn’t already know!

Now, on with this week’s Fun Facts.

1. Hayden Fry was North Texas State’s coach before coming to Iowa. His record there was 40-23-3. None of the nine coaches who have followed him at North Texas had/has a career winning record there.

2. Iowa’s Nick Easley is the first player in Kirk Ferentz’s 19 seasons as head coach to catch touchdown passes in his first two games as a Hawkeye.

3. The Hawkeyes had just one more first down than North Texas when they met in Iowa City two years ago. Yet, they won by 46 points.

4. Iowa’s 44-41 overtime win at Iowa State was its first road victory under Ferentz in a game in which it trailed by double-digits in the fourth quarter.

5. North Texas is averaging 493 yards per game. That’s a bit deceptive, since the Mean Green gained 668 yards in their opening-game 59-14 win over FCS Lamar.

6. North Texas is getting $900,000 to make this trip.

7. This is the second-straight game Iowa is facing a head coach younger than 40. Iowa State’s Matt Campbell is 37. North Texas’ Seth Littrell is 39.

read more: 

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/fun-facts-north-texas-iowa-20170911

40 minutes ago, Harry said:

What, you say Iowa isn’t Las Vegas? Having been to both, my reply is this:

Tell me something I didn’t already know!

Now, on with this week’s Fun Facts.

1. Hayden Fry was North Texas State’s coach before coming to Iowa. His record there was 40-23-3. None of the nine coaches who have followed him at North Texas had/has a career winning record there.

2. Iowa’s Nick Easley is the first player in Kirk Ferentz’s 19 seasons as head coach to catch touchdown passes in his first two games as a Hawkeye.

3. The Hawkeyes had just one more first down than North Texas when they met in Iowa City two years ago. Yet, they won by 46 points.

4. Iowa’s 44-41 overtime win at Iowa State was its first road victory under Ferentz in a game in which it trailed by double-digits in the fourth quarter.

5. North Texas is averaging 493 yards per game. That’s a bit deceptive, since the Mean Green gained 668 yards in their opening-game 59-14 win over FCS Lamar.

6. North Texas is getting $900,000 to make this trip.

7. This is the second-straight game Iowa is facing a head coach younger than 40. Iowa State’s Matt Campbell is 37. North Texas’ Seth Littrell is 39.

read more: 

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/fun-facts-north-texas-iowa-20170911

Nope. UNT is averaging 580.5 yards per game.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

DID SOMEONE SAY IOWA. I love Iowa, it's the most Iowa you can Iowa. Have you ever Iowa'd? It's really Iowa!

636083242154439954-MCCARNEY.jpg

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

DID SOMEONE SAY IOWA. I love Iowa, it's the most Iowa you can Iowa. Have you ever Iowa'd? It's really Iowa!

636083242154439954-MCCARNEY.jpg

Coach Mac: "Is this heaven?"

Coach Ferentz: "No...it's Iowa."

Coach Mac: "I could have sworn it was heaven."

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, meangreen08 said:

Hey guys, do you know Dan McCarney and Andrew McNulty are both from Iowa City, Iowa???

Say what you want about Dan Mac but Andrew is a fine alumnus who has come to games after graduating despite assholes like me ripping him on this board while he was quarterback here. I respect the hell out of the young man for tuning guys like me out. I hope he roots for us against the Hawkeyes he once loved so much.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Nope. UNT is averaging 580.5 yards per game.

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

Correct. 493 yards is what we gained vs SMU

They kinda sorta tried to fix it?

5. North Texas is averaging 580.5 yards per game, ninth in FBS, and is 14th nationally in time of possession.

\93 yards per game. That’s a bit deceptive, since the Mean Green gained 668 yards in their opening-game 59-14 win over FCS Lamar.

36 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Say what you want about Dan Mac but Andrew is a fine alumnus who has come to games after graduating despite assholes like me ripping him on this board while he was quarterback here. I respect the hell out of the young man for tuning guys like me out. I hope he roots for us against the Hawkeyes he once loved so much.

I wasn't insulting Andrew, but the mere fact that we were reminded 5,000 times they were both from Iowa city. 

Andrew is a fine young man, but someone somewhere convienced him his was a FBS level QB, which he was most certainly not. 

He should have never been our starting QB. 

This all goes back to Dans lack of recruiting. 

• Thanks 1