Looking for bright spots

p_phelps

48 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

They could have put 70+ on us yesterday? We looked like a sad FCS program yesterday.  We should be at the very least competitive with SMU, and instead we were a joke.

So NO Bright spots sorry anything else is  just a sad excuse. 

Yea it was a terrible performance.. 

Sad excuses is more fans turn out for UNT/SMU than show up for the opening game after getting to a bowl game.. Sad excuse is .2% of alumni donate, and we don't even hold each other accountable to that! 

You worry about stuff you think you can control on the field stuff, when you actually can't but things  you can control you don't worry about.. Hold other members here accountable to become donors.. I had 2 members join the MGC, another one after I saw the #s in point out how terrible this alumni base is, and I'm literally giving UNT 8k this semester for a stupid degree I already earned

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Sad excuses is more fans turn out for UNT/SMU than show up for the opening game after getting to a bowl game.. Sad excuse is .2% of alumni donate, and we don't even hold each other accountable to that! 

You worry about stuff you think you can control on the field stuff, when you actually can't but things  you can control you don't worry about.. Hold other members here accountable to become donors.. I had 2 members join the MGC, another one after I saw the #s in point out how terrible this alumni base is, and I'm literally giving UNT 8k this semester for a stupid degree I already earned

There you go blame the customer, see how well that will works in business. 

It is the AD's responsibility to get those donations, hopefully Wren will. RV stopped at 17

19 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

There you go blame the customer, see how well that will works in business. 

It is the AD's responsibility to get those donations, hopefully Wren will. RV stopped at 17

How is it blaming the customer? WB didn't say it, nor did the staff.. another customer blamed you.. 

If you hold them accountable, then we should each other accountable as well when it comes to funding and providing this staff the support they need.. Who are the the ones paying the bills first in the AD office? Only a select few alumni donate and then the school picks up the rest.

WB has tried reaching out and seen an increase, but the numbers are still only at .2%.. there's a thread about increasing the donor base, so again.. We can get what we pay for, and right now the payment/donor base is non existent.. 

28 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

RV, is that you? 

• Downvote 1

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

How is it blaming the customer? WB didn't say it, nor did the staff.. another customer blamed you.. 

If you hold them accountable, then we should each other accountable as well when it comes to funding and providing this staff the support they need.. Who are the the ones paying the bills first in the AD office? Only a select few alumni donate and then the school picks up the rest.

WB has tried reaching out and seen an increase, but the numbers are still only at .2%.. there's a thread about increasing the donor base, so again.. We can get what we pay for, and right now the payment/donor base is non existent.. 

We get what we pay for? Are you an AD employee? 

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

UNT 90 that you?

No, not at all. But you crawl to the defense of a bad product. Why? Why do this? What are you garnering by doing this? There is 0 reason to try and justify what transpired last night. None. It was an embarrassment to our University. An athletic program, yet again, embarrassed our University. 

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not reaching for anything. That was a serious question. And I'm pleased with the answer. 

Now the back to my point.. we have no control over what is on the field.. You can straggle hold the AD offices by with holding donations, but again not like this AD office is getting most of its $ from donors.. 

if you want to see real changes, either we try and give more if we can, find others to join/give even if it's 25 bucks with it being a 1 time donation.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Now the back to my point.. we have no control over what is on the field.. You can straggle hold the AD offices by with holding donations, but again not like this AD office is getting most of its $ from donors.. 

if you want to see real changes, either we try and give more if we can, find others to join/give even if it's 25 bucks with it being a 1 time donation.. 

I don't know why you're telling me this. I never said anything about donations. I'm just concerned about our athletic department embarrassing our University. That within and of itself will counter produce anything I can donate 100 fold. 

Edited by Ben Gooding

17 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I don't know why you're telling me this. I never said anything about donations. I'm just concerned about our athletic department embarrassing our University. That within and of itself will counter produce anything I can donate 100 fold. 

I said back to my point.. not my fault you went away from what I had been talking about, with you seeking information about my employment status.. 

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I don't care where you work or what you do for a living so as long as it's not for the AD at UNT. 

Then get back to the point... the chicken or th egg coming first is do we donate with results or wait for results then donate.. 

One this is consistent, the AD office needs donors now or in the future.. you may as well get in now and the blame is on them and not us.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Then get back to the point... the chicken or th egg coming first is do we donate with results or wait for results then donate.. 

One this is consistent, the AD office needs donors now or in the future.. you may as well get in now and the blame is on them and not us.

In this regard, you're preaching to the choir. I'm a season tix holder and donor. 

To impove, we have to recruit better. Given our geographical location, throwing money into this is meaningless and borderline wasteful. We have to outrecruit the G5's that pluck a few hundred players out of the metroplex every season. Allocating money into recruiting typically goes to traveling costs etc. I don't want them to travel. I want them to learn how ti recruit much better or bring people in that know how to. 

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

In this regard, you're preaching to the choir. I'm a season tix holder and donor. 

To impove, we have to recruit better. Given our geographical location, throwing money into this is meaningless and borderline wasteful. We have to outrecruit the G5's that pluck a few hundred players out of the metroplex every season. Allocating money into recruiting typically goes to traveling costs etc. I don't want them to travel. I want them to learn how ti recruit much better or bring people in that know how to. 

You want better recruiting..

Then let's find ways add more donors, more cash to go out and hire these "recruiting studs" that can coach.. Allow UNT to have flashy things like an IPF to be on par with other schools, and keep these stud coaches.. more donor money for these recruits to get more free UNT "swag" etc.. 

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

You want better recruiting..

Then let's find ways add more donors, more cash to go out and hire these "recruiting studs" that can coach.. Allow UNT to have flashy things like an IPF to be on par with other schools, and keep these stud coaches.. more donor money for these recruits to get more free UNT "swag" etc.. 

To this, I say BS. Our budget is a top 3 CUSA budget. We have the 2nd highest paid HC in CUSA. Our salary coaching pool is top 4 in CUSA. We are spending top tier CUSA money. Yet, we are recruiting at a bottom quarter level. We are winning at one of the lowest % in conference over the last 5 years. We have the 2nd nicest stadium in CUSA behind So Miss. 

The money is currently in place. The results are not. So don't come at peiple with this nonsensical baloney unless you know exactly what you are talking about. 

We. Are. Severely. Underperforming. 

No excuses. 

• Upvote 1

Looking back I just think SMU was the better team and a pretty good team at that. Don't know how much strategy would have helped, especially with their edge of having a 1st-round talent in Sutton. I think SMU took a step up this year and that team is much older and more experienced than we are. Some very good play early that makes me optimistic. 

Some bright spots:
Emergence of Darden
Mason Fine's play OVERALL.   Reminding me more and more of Nick Mullens with each game he plays.
Figuring out we can throw the ball over the top and Guyton will be there to catch it.   And I know many have said it was against their 2nd teamers, but if you go back and watch the tape, you'll see starters in on SMUs defense WELL INTO the 4th quarter... after Guyton caught fire.

I FULLY BELIEVE that game would have been a UNT win if Sutton was not on the field.  Next season, UNT will win this game... rather handily, and Sutton will be lighting up the NFL.

• Thanks 1

"Fans" pointing fingers at each other for not donating enough?  It must be getting into late September when hope for a successful season is felt slipping away.  

I encourage each and every one of us to create your own reality, your own value on this experience, and your own method of attending/enjoying/giving.  There is no right or wrong way, no matter how many times (I'm going to filter this part) will say otherwise. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

We get what we pay for? Are you an AD employee? 

No, not at all. But you crawl to the defense of a bad product. Why? Why do this? What are you garnering by doing this? There is 0 reason to try and justify what transpired last night. None. It was an embarrassment to our University. An athletic program, yet again, embarrassed our University. 

"You've chosen to ignore content by BTG_Fan1." 

I'd recommend doing the same.

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Some bright spots:
Emergence of Darden
Mason Fine's play OVERALL.   Reminding me more and more of Nick Mullens with each game he plays.
Figuring out we can throw the ball over the top and Guyton will be there to catch it.   And I know many have said it was against their 2nd teamers, but if you go back and watch the tape, you'll see starters in on SMUs defense WELL INTO the 4th quarter... after Guyton caught fire.

I FULLY BELIEVE that game would have been a UNT win if Sutton was not on the field.  Next season, UNT will win this game... rather handily, and Sutton will be lighting up the NFL.

Tired of next season. 

SMU has left us in the dust and unless we have a meltdown I don't see us beating them.

• Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

"You've chosen to ignore content by BTG_Fan1." 

I'd recommend doing the same.

Tired of next season. 

SMU has left us in the dust and unless we have a meltdown I don't see us beating them.

Disagree.   It was Sutton, and Sutton only.   SMU doesn't win Saturday with out him.   Quinn is good. Proche is good, I guess (virtually a non-factor)?  No one else anywhere in Sutton's realm.   Xavier Jones, sans 1 busted-play long TD run, was shut down.    SMU will lose this game next year, and I'm willing to put some money down on that today.

As for "next season", that's the next time we play SMU.   That's all I'm talking about.  
This season, we still go bowling.  I predicted a loss VS SMU.  This team will bounce back and do well in conference.