How to increase MGC Membership/Donors

BTG_Fan1

What needs to be done to get people to 1) Donate more?, 2) Join and Donate, or 3) Just Donate in General? 

I believe it was @Cerebus that said it was something along the lines of .2% of our Alumni base are donors... With that being said I have no idea how many of us on here are donors (If you are thank you) and what do you need (from UNT Athletics) for you to take the next step, and if you're not a donor what do you need/want from UNT for them to get you interested into becoming a donor?

Examples of things like are seeing exact #s going to help you donate more or make you consider donating in the first place? Is seeing the IPF going to change your impression of UNT and help you open your check book for the first time, or encourage you to donate again? 

Win. 

I think potential "Donor Tours" would be ideal for people on the fence. Make it a quick1hr walk through tour of all current facilities with the tour ending in the suites of Apogee. There, have an inexpensive luncheon maybe catered by 1 of our sponsors. At the luncheon, go over aspirations for the programs and have models of the IPF, soccer/track complex, etc. setup with a little 2-yr plan via power point. At the end, hit the nail home how small donors are the lifeline to collegiate athletics, etc etc. Do this DURING football season, or better yet, leading into football season. When hopes and dreams are still high. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Win. 

I think potential "Donor Tours" would be ideal for people on the fence. Make it a quick1hr walk through tour of all current facilities with the tour ending in the suites of Apogee. There, have an inexpensive luncheon maybe catered by 1 of our sponsors. At the luncheon, go over aspirations for the programs and have models of the IPF, soccer/track complex, etc. setup with a little 2-yr plan via power point. At the end, hit the nail home how small donors are the lifeline to collegiate athletics, etc etc. Do this DURING football season, or better yet, leading into football season. When hopes and dreams are still high. 

Agreed, Really wish they would do this and even have SL/JM/Gmac come in and talk about the direction of the program.. and why it's critical for us to have donors

They do a tour of Apogee with out of state students parents, as well.

Winning and access to coaches. Every high school has a quarterback club why not something along those lines. Luncheons with a coach, assistant coach, strength coach and so on. How about a newsletter with pre and post game info from coaches. The more exclusive info you give to Members the more desirable it is to join. Improved facilities help the Ap brought me back!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Agreed, Really wish they would do this and even have SL/JM/Gmac come in and talk about the direction of the program.. and why it's critical for us to have donors

They do a tour of Apogee with out of state students parents, as well.

Well, if they want to increase donorship these are the things that must be done. It's nice to see the social media push for it, but that's peanuts nowadays. 

2 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Winning and access to coaches. Every high school has a quarterback club why not something along those lines. Luncheons with a coach, assistant coach, strength coach and so on. How about a newsletter with pre and post game info from coaches. The more exclusive info you give to Members the more desirable it is to join. Improved facilities help the Ap brought me back!

^^^ too. This is absolute missed opportunity. And to be frank, it's inexcusable. 

• Upvote 1

I think another directive needs to be investing school pride/spirit in the students. I work with quite a few UNT alum and there's a bunch that have never even been to a football game. If someone doesn't feel connected to the school when they're a student, it's hard to feel connected after they graduate.

1 hour ago, brooks91 said:

I think another directive needs to be investing school pride/spirit in the students. I work with quite a few UNT alum and there's a bunch that have never even been to a football game. If someone doesn't feel connected to the school when they're a student, it's hard to feel connected after they graduate.

How many is "quite a few?"  Invite them to a game. If it is a large amount, I would bet members here would be willing to help with a ticket. 

1 hour ago, brooks91 said:

I feel like the qquestion/statement of getting people into more of a UNT Spirit has been around for a long time, when I was younger.. I never understood why the student side of fouts during the bowl run wasn't filled more..

But the million dollar question is, how do we develop that school spirit for alumni to come back..

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

I wish that they (WB and AD Office) would do something along the lines of allowing Harry, Evan and Ashton to do the podcast from the club level.. 

Make it so fans can come up to Apogee, and do guests like WB, JM, SL, GH, Gmac, etc and have them do a Q\A from like 7-8pm and then the podcast from 8-9..  offer something like 10 bucks for a dinner and allow fans to get discounted tickets... Make it so people buy if they come and now they have a reason to come back or reason to bring more people with them. Let's the fans get that face to face and direct interaction with the sports/AD office and hopefully it leads to a few upgrades in terms of tickets as well.

------------------------

Also, I understand about winning.. but that isn't something the actual AD office has control over.. things like these coaching meetings, facilities, tours, etc. Are things they control and was hoping/seeking out more ideas for that 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

How many is "quite a few?"  Invite them to a game. If it is a large amount, I would bet members here would be willing to help with a ticket. 

You say that like I haven't already. I've brought a couple of them to their first game. It's not about a free ticket, many just don't care about the program and didn't make that connection when they were in school. That's the point I was trying to make.

32 minutes ago, brooks91 said:

You say that like I haven't already. I've brought a couple of them to their first game. It's not about a free ticket, many just don't care about the program and didn't make that connection when they were in school. That's the point I was trying to make.

Got it. Sorry for the confusion. I took it that they had never been to a game. 

4 hours ago, Snowy said:

Not sure what the value add is for becoming a mean green member

I have been a club member for 4 years, and will continue to be, but I someone what agree with this. There isn't a huge value add coming from being a club member, and if there was an immense amount of school pride, or an awesome product associated with the club (I.e. Continuous winning seasons) then the high value add wouldn't be as necessary. But due to the abscence, the AD department should make it more than worth the donation. 

This is can be done a couple of different ways. First, the aforementioned inside, behind the scene access for club members is a great idea and makes people feel more apart of the program. Second, imo I think it would be awesome if it was almost structured as a credit card rewards program where priority points (which I'm not even sure they're tracking anymore) could be redeemed for autographed memorabilia/access to exclusive events/game day gear and the higher you donate and longer you're a member the more points you earn. Lastly, at a minimum make it worth it for people who don't live in the dfw area and can't regularly attend games but want to support the program. 

• Upvote 2

Does anyone have any idea how other programs do these? 

Itd be nice to not reinvent the wheel. Let's borrow ideas that work and implement those. 

Yes, winning would help. I believe that is coming. 

it is hard to compare us though to TCU and SMU. They're private, expensive, schools. While smaller, their donor base may have more potential to give. 

I would like to know though how they reach out to DFW

20 hours ago, Snowy said:

Not sure what the value add is for becoming a mean green member

We used to get Mean Green Club gifts.  I still have a pretty nice piece of luggage.  Got a jacket one year and I still use the welcome mat as the standing area for my dart board.  That was several years ago.  They stopped providing these for some reason.  The donation is tax deductible (minus the value of the "benefits"), so there's that.