Documents suggest water fountains on Denton’s Confederate monument were once functional

--I was told when in a NT history class during the mid 1960's that they had once worked and that in order to drink out of them the person was bowing to the  soldier....   This is  a bit different that most confederate statues ..... It was a bit more than a memorial to those who fought in the war. I oppose removing most confederate statues or statues of Confederate officials  but the intent or purpose here is quite different. --- To me this is a reminder of how that group was treated..... people should be aware of  what went on until the 60's or 70's .... ... Not so many here saw that and really understand how things were... .The African-American kids in my HS class (1962) were not permitted to enroll in any SWC college or even in the baptist college in my hometown ... but that changed in the mid/late 60's at most places.  .... .....   To me there is a huge over-reaction to these monuments/names  BUT for a FEW things the claims are legit ... This one ... mixed emotions .... I get it but would hate to see it go .... people need to understand how things once were.. ... and not repeat it for any group... removing it does not change the past and leaving  it does not honor any one person.... just soldiers fighting for their homeland .....   Most never owned slaves ... only the very wealthy did . 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1