21 minutes ago, TCUFrog said:

There are approximately 157K illegal immigrants in our federal prison system. At an average cost of ~$32K per prisoner per year, we aren't breaking even from taxing their earning. Plus, I would guess that most illegals are paid cash under the table and therefore don't pay federal or state income taxes. Yes they do pay sales tax but that doesn't get close to offsetting their cost.

Again...exactly.

Mexico is having its cake and eating it, too, with their illegals here.  That has to end.

Trump is giving Congress time to make a legal immigration reform.  Let's see whether or not our lawmakers will do anything end the money train for Mexico's lazy politicians.

If you are the writing type, remind your congressman that Mexico has allowed the amount of remittances from us to now exceed even their oil export intake.  Ask them whether they intend to continue to let Mexico be paid by us for children born there. 

Ask them to tax all remittances or, in the alternative, allow only remittances from legal immigrants.  Cut off illegals from sending money back to Mexico untaxed, if you let them continue at all.

Whatever amnesty they come up with - and, that's what it will be - make Mexico put some skin in the game for once.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TCUFrog said:

There are approximately 157K illegal immigrants in our federal prison system. At an average cost of ~$32K per prisoner per year, we aren't breaking even from taxing their earning. Plus, I would guess that most illegals are paid cash under the table and therefore don't pay federal or state income taxes. Yes they do pay sales tax but that doesn't get close to offsetting their cost.

The $7B figure I referenced above for payments to Social Security represents a minimum for illegals paying Federal taxes.  Certainly many of the itinerant illegals are paid for short-term work & that won't be taxed.  However, illegals who have been in the country for years and are working steady jobs are paying taxes & SS (though they can't expect to ever draw a dime from SS).

Your numbers for incarceration are actually low.  About 6.4% of state & federal prisoners are illegal.  The interesting thing here is that, since about 6.9% of the US population is illegal, that means illegals are imprisoned at a lower rate than citizens.  That's food for thought.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, TCUFrog said:

. Like MeanGreenMailbox stated, its not our responsible to take care of Mexico's poor. 

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."

But of course Emma Lazarus wasn't an alt-right Republican.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

---In some cases they came as near infants .. and some can't speak Language of the country they were born in and have no relative or friends there .... That was the case of a Columbia honor grad 2-3 years ago that spoke at their graduation. Daca is about those that came as children (not their choice) and have been here many years ... and have no criminal record. . This is not about all illegals in general...  That is a completely different issue... 

The wall is stupid ..... there still will be tunnels,  in by air , in by boats,  and somehow sneaked in through legal crossings... It takes ranchers land and ranchers use the Rio Grande to water their stock and it would kill 1000's of wild animals that depend on it for water..... PLus what do you do with all the streams and rivers (100's)....  dam  them up. ??

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I didn't vote for Bernie or Trump, inasmuch as I find them both repugnant.  In fact, I didn't vote at all because I also found Hillary and Jill Stein to be repugnant and wanting to do no more than re-hash all the bad policies that have led us down the road to handing things out to foreign governments as well, punishing the American middle class in the process. 

You were doing so well, and then this admission....very Kapernick of you.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

We have homeless, tired, poor vets that are US citizens. Do you advocate taking care of illegals BEFORE taking care of our own? Please don't respond with we should take care of both, we have had homeless vets and other regular citizens for decades and the problem has only gotten worse.

Taking care of the poor, whether native or immigrant, is a good investment.  It's good both for our country's soul and pocketbook.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You and I will never see eye to eye on this subject.

never say never

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/09/07/trump-says-undocumented-immigrants-in-the-military-are-a-special-situation/?utm_term=.ae031002857f

52 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Question...no answer...

Is TCUFrog UNT90 reincarnated?

hmm...let's examine the evidence:

Pro: TCU fan; 5 posts all in the Pie Forum; "nationalist"

Con: those 5 posts were made over the course of a day rather than eight minutes; claims to be a veteran; hasn't called anyone a name and/or gotten pious when called a name; is too vain to write under a pseudonym

3/4 against. I don't think its him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TCUFrog said:

So you are fine feeding, clothing and sheltering illegal's before or at the same time we do the same for our own citizens? I'm sorry but I am a vet and I think that is totally irresponsible  and unfair to the very ones that sacrificed so much for their county. You and I will never see eye to eye on this subject.

Luckily we're a wealthy nation and really don't have to choose between which of the poor we help.  Also, and I'm sure this doesn't apply to you, I'm cynical enough to think that many of those opposed to helping immigrants really prefer to keep the cash in their own pockets rather than see it go to needy vets or immigrants.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 9/7/2017 at 2:47 PM, MeanGreenMailbox aka TFLF said:

Again...exactly.

Mexico is having its cake and eating it, too, with their illegals here.  That has to end.

Trump is giving Congress time to make a legal immigration reform.  Let's see whether or not our lawmakers will do anything end the money train for Mexico's lazy politicians.

If you are the writing type, remind your congressman that Mexico has allowed the amount of remittances from us to now exceed even their oil export intake.  Ask them whether they intend to continue to let Mexico be paid by us for children born there. 

Ask them to tax all remittances or, in the alternative, allow only remittances from legal immigrants.  Cut off illegals from sending money back to Mexico untaxed, if you let them continue at all.

Whatever amnesty they come up with - and, that's what it will be - make Mexico put some skin in the game for once.

I was just scrolling through and read some of the comments, so if I'm off point/ bringing up someone else's point, my bad.. 

But honestly has this idea even been discussed? Anyone who is in the US has a time frame for them to apply for citizenship/amensity. if they came here illegally which should please Dems but the catcher is they have to pay in a fine.. No idea but say it's a 5k (per person) for amensity and 10K fine (per person) citenship they pay.. This money can be paid say over time via taxes or the individual can pay it off sooner.. 

before we say it will cause a delay, I'm sure they can bring in more help with just people already in the US issues, and for us to say it may lead to more illegal crosses, this is why the fine would be put into place..being in the US already means you pay, while being outside you only pay normal costs?

I do not have an issue giving the true children, a path to at least resident alien status, I do have issues with a 25+ y.o. trying to use this system and getting to move ahead of those who came legally and have been paying $$$$ getting everything done.

Give some sort of alien status and make sure taxes have been paid and have them get in line for citizenship if that is what they want, as for welfare and government assistance unless they are here as a refugee or asylum, then they need to work with their home country for assistance.

• Upvote 1

On 9/8/2017 at 7:03 PM, GTWT said:

Luckily we're a wealthy nation and really don't have to choose between which of the poor we help.  Also, and I'm sure this doesn't apply to you, I'm cynical enough to think that many of those opposed to helping immigrants really prefer to keep the cash in their own pockets rather than see it go to needy vets or immigrants.

Wealthy nation.  Better check those debt figures.

• Upvote 1

On 9/18/2017 at 5:25 PM, UNTLifer said:

Wealthy nation.  Better check those debt figures.

We are a wealthy nation in general  ..... however our government debt since 2001 has gone from less than $6 trillion to about $20 trillion.... mostly because of all the tax cuts to the super wealthy  (not so much to average and even above average income people) by Congress.. I know this isn't exact but about 90% of the cut went into the top 10% of income people.  We all know which party has controlled Congress (who passes legislation) since 2000 almost all the time .   The $6 trillion figure was the result of 210 years (since 1790) and the remaining $14 trillion in less than 17 years.   They have not been financial conservatives as claimed. 

Read below if you doubt I am telling the truth.  [ a government site  ... non-political. ]

--------------------------

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/debt/search?startMonth=01&startDay=01&startYear=2001&endMonth=09&endDay=01&endYear=2017 

Date Debt Held by the Public Intragovernmental Holdings Total Public Debt Outstanding
12/29/2000 Not Available Not Available 5,662,216,013,697.37
01/02/2001 Not Available Not Available 5,728,739,508,558.96
01/03/2001 Not Available Not Available 5,723,237,439,563.59
01/04/2001 Not Available Not Available 5,719,452,925,490.54

8/28/2017 14,394,393,337,425.27 5,450,480,368,395.16 19,844,873,705,820.43
08/29/2017 14,388,580,918,004.16 5,456,236,119,764.97 19,844,817,037,769.13
08/30/2017 14,393,272,109,801.02 5,451,488,258,564.91 19,844,760,368,365.93
08/31/2017 14,381,561,995,497.24 5,462,971,446,427.15 19,844,533,441,924.39
09/01/2017 14,428,250,468,926.45 5,416,371,174,602.17 19,844,621,643,528.6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/24/2017 at 10:46 PM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

We are a wealthy nation in general  ..... however our government debt since 2001 has gone from less than $6 trillion to about $20 trillion.... mostly because of all the tax cuts to the super wealthy  (not so much to average and even above average income people) by Congress.. I know this isn't exact but about 90% of the cut went into the top 10% of income people.  We all know which party has controlled Congress (who passes legislation) since 2000 almost all the time .   The $6 trillion figure was the result of 210 years (since 1790) and the remaining $14 trillion in less than 17 years.   They have not been financial conservatives as claimed. 

Despite the super wealthy getting a tax cut, they still pay the largest portion of taxes collected.

• Upvote 3

On 9/24/2017 at 10:46 PM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

however our government debt since 2001 has gone from less than $6 trillion to about $20 trillion.... mostly because of all the tax cuts to the super wealthy  (not so much to average and even above average income people) by Congress.. I know this isn't exact but about 90% of the cut went into the top 10% of income people. 

And that's how our debt jump $14 trillion?  Okay.

• Downvote 2

18 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Despite the super wealthy getting a tax cut, they still pay the largest portion of taxes collected.

Obviously. They control the largest portion of the income. The largest wealth holders/earners will always pay the largest portion.

If we had 80% of the population holding 80% of the wealth/earnings - you would see that the 80% pays the largest portion. It isn't rocket surgery.  

The 'I pay my share' doesn't really cut it when you aren't taxed at the same rate as everyone else. We have a progressive tax for a reason -- the GOP has done their best let the super wealthy get around it with not equating capital gains, real estate profits, etc etc with lower rates.. and allowing to pass off income through s-scorps... it lowers their taxable income and rates way below a person who digs ditches or teaches in a classroom. But let's not let that get in the way of a good narrative about wealth trickling down. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

On 9/29/2017 at 11:55 AM, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Obviously. They control the largest portion of the income. The largest wealth holders/earners will always pay the largest portion.

If we had 80% of the population holding 80% of the wealth/earnings - you would see that the 80% pays the largest portion. It isn't rocket surgery.  

The 'I pay my share' doesn't really cut it when you aren't taxed at the same rate as everyone else. We have a progressive tax for a reason -- the GOP has done their best let the super wealthy get around it with not equating capital gains, real estate profits, etc etc with lower rates.. and allowing to pass off income through s-scorps... it lowers their taxable income and rates way below a person who digs ditches or teaches in a classroom. But let's not let that get in the way of a good narrative about wealth trickling down. 

Define super wealthy.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

100's of millions of wealth or making a million plus per year....   I still remember when Romney released his taxes he was paying a lower per-cent than I was.... likely a lot  more but a lower percent..   .....Trump who knows...  he said he would release his if elected ...... he lied.  all other final candidates released years of them. ... we have NONE of his...

The tax cut about 2001? gave 90 % of the cut to the top 10%.... then then the national debt went from almost 6 trillion to over 11 trillion in 8 years and hasn't stopped since ... now about $20 trillion.. this is all due to who controls Congress... not the White House so much. .. they pass all spending laws ands tax bills ... so who has controlled almost all of the time since then. ???? The proposed one now cuts out of all deductions for child care, home interest, property taxes on homes etc... Yes they increase the standard deduction but experts claim the lower and low middle income people will lose big time. pay attention... Those are deductions the lower/middle  people have ... not the super wealthy so much and even then small compared to what they earn. Meanwhile the taxes of wealthy and especially corporate taxes get big cut ... The debt will skyrocket if passes.  . READ what is in it and what it will do ...  

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

PS:  Just read recently that there are LESS border patrol agents now than there was last fall ..... I thought the"the guy" was going to increase that .. [ another lie .] If you live in West Texas as I do the  you understand a wall is completely stupid along the Rio Grande.... The area is very sparsely populated.... and people will, go over, or  under .. use planes, use boats or use other means to get here.... even smuggled through legal ports of entry... DUMB idea.  It will work if we do like the USSR and build towers with machine gun towers every 1/4 mile  and just shoot them... You want that.?? ..... as for the drug trade ... heroine does't come from Mexico nor does meth (home-produced mostly) .. Cocaine is mostly from South America and most gets here by boat. 

• Upvote 1