Kudos to the band.

oldguystudent

It would have been much more effective if they had actually faced the Lamar fans when they played their Alma Mater. 

The North Texas band of my youth (that every one by now is sick of hearing about) used to do the same thing as part of their pre-game routine. They probably did it only for their conference mates. Letsgiveacheer can confirm or deny this last theory. I remember the first time I observed them doing it and thought "Wow! what class!. Oh, and they always faced the visitor's section when they played their Alma Mater. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

58 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

It would have been much more effective if they had actually faced the Lamar fans when they played their Alma Mater. 

They played it again at the end of the game with players from both teams facing the stands in attention. 

I noticed there also was a Lamar flag flying on one of the south end zone poles under the North Texas flag. 

I spoke with Wren Friday night while setting up my camp/tailgate site.  He said we gave Lamar a place to practice Friday (I think in Apogee) and a free meal in the Victory cafeteria, as well as heavily discounted additional meals.  He said that Lamar was likely going to have to stay in Denton a few extra nights after the game and and that UNT was doing things to help out. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

• I agree with those who saw the actions of the band as a class act.   I spoke with an official of UNT athletics during the game.   He said that they were unsure about where Lamar was going to be able to get hotel rooms for their players after the game.   The hotel rooms in the area are packed with people leaving the Gulf Coast area and that they could not get back into Beaumont due to road conditions.    They have a mess.   We can only offer our prayers for them and say "Thank You" to the people in Denton who have shown them kindnesses. 

31 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

They played it again at the end of the game with players from both teams facing the stands in attention. 

I noticed there also was a Lamar flag flying on one of the south end zone poles under the North Texas flag. 

I spoke with Wren Friday night while setting up my camp/tailgate site.  He said we gave Lamar a place to practice Friday (I think in Apogee) and a free meal in the Victory cafeteria, as well as heavily discounted additional meals.  He said that Lamar was likely going to have to stay in Denton a few extra nights after the game and and that UNT was doing things to help out. 

I'm a student Equipment manager, and we're also sharing our equipment room with them this weekend! They're grateful people and I'm glad we hosted them in the way we did! 

• Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Let's forgo the usual debate about shorts for a minute and give the Mean Green Brigade props for playing Lamar's alma mater.  That was a class move.

And BTW, I've never had a problem with the band wearing coordinated shorts shirts and hats during hot weather. The early fall is brutal for them. I was sitting in the shade at 6, but the band didn't get to sit in the shade until much later. 

Being a true Football Band has always been my issue.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

And BTW, I've never had a problem with the band wearing coordinated shorts shirts and hats during hot weather. The early fall is brutal for them. I was sitting in the shade at 6, but the band didn't get to sit in the shade until much later. 

Being a true Football Band has always been my issue.

@THOR was regaling us with tales of his Mean Green Brigade days when he had to wear a full uniform when it was 120 degrees on the field while marching barefoot in the snow uphill both ways.  He appeared to be shaking his fist and yelling at a cloud while telling this story. 

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

@THOR was regaling us with tales of his Mean Green Brigade days when he had to wear a full uniform when it was 120 degrees on the field while marching barefoot in the snow uphill both ways.  He appeared to be shaking his fist and yelling at a cloud while telling this story. 

times are different nowadays...guess college students cant handle full uniform for every game (jackets off 3rd quarter) while marching on the oven that was fouts...no biggie...everyone gets soft at some point in their life...just glad it didn't happen to me when I was 18

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 2