Tearing down confederate monuments does not erase history

Can't we all just yearn for the good ole days and be happy?

Klan day at the Texas State Fair was a blast!  

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth31223/

More State Fair fun!

6416fda6d0310f12b317338d589bbaa8.jpg

CSA area of Six Flags over Texas: 

s9p5yuyx3ymz.jpg

I mean... what is the harm in indoctrinating children into a false narrative and glorification? Seriously! The good ole days! 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I have no problem with moving icons of the Confederacy (statues of Lee, Jackson, whatever) off of state property to a museum.  Some folks are offended to be reminded of history, and I get that.  I think the state needs to be respectful of all citizens, and avoiding some kind of bias is a good thing.

I have a problem with memorials to Confederate soldiers being defaced and destroyed.  I think they should also probably be moved to areas designated as memorial areas though, so those that might be offended by them can avoid that trauma.

Having said that--my great great grandfather served in the CSA here in Texas, and was called up from his farm, and head of his household at 46 years of age--leaving 5 kids and his wife behind to take care of things in Ellis County while he was gone.  A great uncle was shot and killed at the Battle of Pea Ridge in Arkansas.  I would like to think that there could be some kind of memorial to those that served without its existence threatening someone's self-esteem or identity--or whatever. 

Regardless, I'll pass down the knowledge to my kids myself, because there's "good" and "bad" in America's past.  Knowing that is a good thing, and none of us should ever forget it.  We need more reminders, not less.  Ask an "Indian"--if you can find one.  

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2017 at 9:24 PM, southsideguy said:

but the asian sports caster could not do a game because his name was Robert E Lee.  Guilt by association.

That "asian sportscaster" decided to not do the game. He was not prevented from doing it.

On 9/23/2017 at 6:17 AM, NT91 said:

That 400k could have gone to a homeless shelter or a number of other needs.

Look how far our country has come. 

Looks like the photos are from the mid 1950's not the 1920's

Funny enough, the people complaining about spending that money to right a wrong are the same people that say the government shouldn't be in the business of helping the homeless... 

Anyhow, yes, since 1950 we have come a long way. Why stop? We can keep improving.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

he was reassigned to a different game is what i read.  He was not fired, espn thought since the game was going to play in the area where they were  having riots he should be reassigned.  i even heard Dan Patrick was not a smart move and he works for espy.  Hell yes we need to take care of our people who are homeless and the mentally or physically handicap.  But like everything else there are people who abuse the system.  I say we take all moments down including the ones in washington.  I bet the cost of up keep is more then we realize and no-one will  feel bad or sad because of monument.   We are a broke country and are living on credit we can never repay and it is the fault of both parties.  if uncle sam was a regular person I bet he would have to buy his car at a tote the note dealership.  I find it kinda of ironic that SS is going broke and was funded by the taxpayers and employers for the program.  I never read there is shortage of welfare dollars being spent.  Again, there are people who need the assistants but there are many who could work but don't want to.  If we could break the cycle of alcoholism and drug addiction it would help the homeless situation a lot.  Wish I had a fix or answer for these type of addictions but I don't and I bet we never will.  My father was an alcoholic  and I can tell from experience he cared more about Jim Beam then his family.  Addiction is a terrible thing.

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

i didnt see those pictures the first go around.  I don't know what to say about them but i find them very disturbing.

This is the same way I find modern pictures of 'patriots' wearing camo, carrying AR-15s and holding a confederate flag trying to protect a Confederate trophy monument. 

I hope my children in 20 years will look back on it and find them very disturbing and they are put to bed. 

26 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

This is the same way I find modern pictures of 'patriots' wearing camo, carrying AR-15s and holding a confederate flag trying to protect a Confederate trophy monument. 

How do you find Black Lives Matter marchers wearing camo and carrying AR's?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mean Green 93-98 said:

How do you find Black Lives Matter marchers wearing camo and carrying AR's?

Two wrongs don't make a right. I don't ever look at the 'other' side as justifications for my actions. That is very childish. 

I will say that BLM marchers *rarely* are carrying assault rifles. They know they are more likely to get shot - the whole point of their marching. In the DPD shooting, there was a black guy with an AR-15, but I don't know that he was a "BLM" activist of just the normal Texan showing his right to carry. 

When the Black Panthers carried guns in the 60's while protesting, it was a *HUGE* deal. 

5 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Two wrongs don't make a right. I don't ever look at the 'other' side as justifications for my actions. That is very childish. 

I will say that BLM marchers *rarely* are carrying assault rifles. They know they are more likely to get shot - the whole point of their marching. In the DPD shooting, there was a black guy with an AR-15, but I don't know that he was a "BLM" activist of just the normal Texan showing his right to carry. 

When the Black Panthers carried guns in the 60's while protesting, it was a *HUGE* deal. 

So you say it is wrong as well?  Just curious.

I really don't have a problem with either.

As far as the Panthers, a major part of the problem was that they were USING those guns to take hostages, take over college campuses, etc.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Yes, I think guns at a protest make it not peaceful. If you want a violent protest, bring the weapons. If you are wanting to intimidate someone, bring the weapons. If you want to make a point, bring yourself.

18 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Yes, I think guns at a protest make it not peaceful. If you want a violent protest, bring the weapons. If you are wanting to intimidate someone, bring the weapons. If you want to make a point, bring yourself.

So you're saying things like this don't belong in a protest?

• Downvote 1