Houston area thoughts and prayer

1 hour ago, kj86 said:

My daughter just moved to H-town two weeks ago for a job.  She lives in far west Houston (Westheimer/Kirkwood/Richmond Ave.).  Power on and no flooding so far.

She should be fine.  The most important thing is for her to not drive into high water and this storm is providing plenty of opportunities to do just that.  This has been just an unreal disaster and so many lives have been affected.  As for my family the flood waters gave us a good scare but we were among the fortunate and no water got in our house.  I also want to point out that its a TV reporters job to find the disaster not report on who is doing just fine.  Touching on that I want people to know that there are great portions (majority) of the city that have weathered this unprecedented rain.  Things are certainly bad but to watch TV you would have the impression the whole area is underwater or that the  flooded streets you see always equal flooded houses.  That is not the case.   Right now I am really concerned about the Brazos river.  When it crest it may flood thousands more. Also the releases from the Addicks and Barker reservoirs will keep some neighborhoods flooded for weeks.   

So prayers for Houston please  but with that said I am always amazed at how Houston always digs in and takes care of their own.  Proud of my fellow Houstonians. 

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/27/2017 at 3:45 PM, UNTLifer said:

@Stix and @FireFightnJoey, are you guys all right?

Yes sir. I just saw this, been a little busy!  My family was lucky. We didn't flood. But many of my first responder family did while out working. I was on a rescue boat about 5 days straight. Felt like I was in the movie Forest Gump when he is talking about all the different kinds of rain. What an experience. Very reminiscent of my Katrina deployment. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FireFightnJoey said:

Yes sir. I just saw this, been a little busy!  My family was lucky. We didn't flood. But many of my first responder family did while out working. I was on a rescue boat about 5 days straight. Felt like I was in the movie Forest Gump when he is talking about all the different kinds of rain. What an experience. Very reminiscent of my Katrina deployment. 

Thank you for your service amd glad you are safe.