UNT Working With Craig James

MCMLXXX

"McDonald’s opened its location near UNT in the mid 1970s. IHOP followed in 1993."

That IHOP was built prior to 1993, right?  I swear I remember going there as a student in mornings while trying to kill hangovers.  That's got to be a journalistic mistake. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

The last thing Denton needs is another McDonalds. The university is offering well above market price for 1 acre. That IHOP needs to go as well nothing makes me cringe more than seeing that blue roof next to the university seal. 

Really? I guess some people can't live without their IHOP or McDonalds. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

If they bring back the McDonald's, they need to bring back the helmet lamps from days gone by.  My earliest memories of Denton are from stopping at that McDonald's as a child and seeing the flying worm helmet lamps. 

i wish i could have bought a set of those, it would look good over the kitchen table but no sure the wife would agree.

4 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

"McDonald’s opened its location near UNT in the mid 1970s. IHOP followed in 1993."

That IHOP was built prior to 1993, right?  I swear I remember going there as a student in mornings while trying to kill hangovers.  That's got to be a journalistic mistake. 

Ihop was there in in 1978 because i ate there waiting for the dorms to open.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

i wish i could have bought a set of those, it would look good over the kitchen table but no sure the wife would agree.

Ihop was there in in 1978 because i ate there waiting for the dorms to open.

I think was there earlier than that ... I remember it but can't remember if it was before I graduated in 1966 or graduated in 1975 ... I think it was there in the late 60's ... the catch is it was not called IHOP but   " International House of Pancakes" ..... which IHOP means.... 

Interesting that CJK5H is in bed with us.  The fact is that's pretty important land for the uni with a bigger 35 frontage footprint...perhaps even more important that there isn't dingy grocery stores and restaurants there instead.  I am typically not down with government land grabs but I'm team Green so screw McDonalds.  

• Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

This guy Shapiro turned down $1.5 million for a half-acre.  That sounds crazy.  What is this guy's end game?

They bumped it up to 2.2 million and he still turned down the offer. I'm not a fan of government land grabs either but the university I feel is being very reasonable. 

• Upvote 2

I don't think we should get in the position of bidding against ourselves with some NJ investor. Tell him that is our best offer and he has ten days to confer with his counsel and mull it over. After that, the deal is off the table and he should bend over for the invocation of eminent domain...and he can't use the grease from the IHOP.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3