Robert E Lee High School Suspends Playing Dixie at Football Games

http://www.newswest9.com/story/36213953/midland-isd-superintendent-lee-high-school-principal-decided-on-lee-rebel-band-not-playing-dixie

This is getting ridiculous. I was in the band at Lee and played football there. We played dixie 30 times a game and nobody batted an eye. You know when PC culture is coming to Midland of all places its pretty much saturated everywhere.

Will be interesting to see if they try and change the name of the school as well.

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 5

26 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

http://www.newswest9.com/story/36213953/midland-isd-superintendent-lee-high-school-principal-decided-on-lee-rebel-band-not-playing-dixie

This is getting ridiculous. I was in the band at Lee and played football there. We played dixie 30 times a game and nobody batted an eye. You know when PC culture is coming to Midland of all places its pretty much saturated everywhere.

Will be interesting to see if they try and change the name of the school as well.

It likely will be changed.

I laughed when a group of people wanted to rename a section of I-35E from R.L. Thorton because I guess the guy was a racist. The name some people suggested? Barack Obama. A president who has no real connection to Dallas let alone Texas. I would have been much happier with Dwight D. Eisenhower, who was from Texas and has a decent civil rights record.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Oh, Josh Norman, NFL'er and Lee graduate, has already started a petition through Facebook.  I'm sure it will be changed.  What is interesting to me is that these folks go along with the masses without even researching the person.  Lee was actually very much against slavery.

Reminds me of the people that were up in arms that Hereford High School's team name is the White Faces.  For those that do not know, White Faces were in reference to Hereford cattle that are prevalent in that area.

Image result for Hereford Cattle

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Lee was actually very much against slavery.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-myth-of-the-kindly-general-lee/529038/

Lee was a slaveowner—his own views on slavery were explicated in an 1856 letter that it often misquoted to give the impression that Lee was some kind of an abolitionist. In the letter, he describes slavery as “a moral & political evil,” but goes on to explain that:

I think it however a greater evil to the white man than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence. Their emancipation will sooner result from the mild & melting influence of Christianity, than the storms & tempests of fiery Controversy.

The argument here is that slavery is bad for white people, good for black people, and most importantly, it is better than abolitionism; emancipation must wait for divine intervention. That black people might not want to be slaves does not enter into the equation; their opinion on the subject of their own bondage is not even an afterthought to Lee.

Women could not vote prior to 1920 .... and never allowed to  serve on juries until late 1960's ..... so should take down all statues of ALL men because they "suppressed" women ..... This getting absolutely ridiculous ...... As for Lee HS in Midland ... there is a ton of resistance to changing the name..... I am in Midland... I oppose the change. 

Growing up in the 50's and 60's ... I am often amazed at what people don't know or don't realize......  I graduated in 1966 ... and lived in College Inn (did not live some sheltered life) and not once did I see anyone using drugs or know of anyone doing it ...... come back in 1968 .. different world....  the late 60's and early 60's are very different.   Early ones was the Beachboy 60's ... the late ones was the Woodstock 60's. 

I opposed removing "most" of these statues etc.  but there is an odd fact about the Denton one that I can see some being very upset about ... I will not explain much here but the base was once a drinking fountain so I have heard. . 

------------------------------------------------

UNT-Lifer ----Nice comment about the cows.( fed a lot of those animals growing up -- Herefords or whitefaces )... Had not heard that one.... Like I said above ... sometime people are just clueless and don't understand or know what they are talking about... 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This link just came to my inbox in an email from an old friend in Florida.  It might fit a little better in another thread but it is appropriate here too:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hiU20QjKPCo

You will enjoy it...trust me.

Edited by EagleMBA

just change all schools to numbers hs #1, hs #2 ......... but everyone will whine about not being #1 so we will have to start at 100 and go from there.  We can change mascots to sesame street characters so not to offend anyone.  I attended stanton elementary school, Magoffin jr hight and Irvin High school-ask me if i ever knew who these guys were.  I have no clue or did i care at the time.  Interesting to see in El Paso if the high school name for James Bowie which has a high hispanic population.  I guess they could change the name to Santa Anna. The statue of Onate is under fire in albuquerque because he was cruel to the native americans.  I guess if we take all statues down , the city maintenance funds would go down and out taxes would decrease (lol).

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

49 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

just change all schools to numbers hs #1, hs #2 ......... but everyone will whine about not being #1 so we will have to start at 100 and go from there.  We can change mascots to sesame street characters so not to offend anyone.  I attended stanton elementary school, Magoffin jr hight and Irvin High school-ask me if i ever knew who these guys were.  I have no clue or did i care at the time.  Interesting to see in El Paso if the high school name for James Bowie which has a high hispanic population.  I guess they could change the name to Santa Anna. The statue of Onate is under fire in albuquerque because he was cruel to the native americans.  I guess if we take all statues down , the city maintenance funds would go down and out taxes would decrease (lol).

I'd say there is zero chance of any schools being named after Santa Anna in Texas given the Texas fight/war for independence against Mexico.

• Upvote 1

When it was just a one horse town, Frisco High School's mascot/name was the Fighting Coons.

Well, once the population boom began, Coons was considered by some to (still) be a racially sensitive word.  That is why Frisco High is now called the Raccoons.
https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2017/05/05/15-years-later-frisco-coons-mascot-debate-continues-facebook
https://www.upi.com/Mascot-name-change-unpopular-with-some/14231015346342/

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

When it was just a one horse town, Frisco High School's mascot/name was the Fighting Coons.

Well, once the population boom began, Coons was considered by some to (still) be a racially sensitive word.  That is why Frisco High is now called the Raccoons.
https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2017/05/05/15-years-later-frisco-coons-mascot-debate-continues-facebook
https://www.upi.com/Mascot-name-change-unpopular-with-some/14231015346342/

I was in Frisco when that fight began.  I'm amused that on the other side of that argument, the very same people who were vehemently defending the coons mascot got up in arms over the proposed name of one of the many, many new high schools in town as Lebanon.  

Too middle eastern.  Too muslim.  Too much forgetfulness that the community was originally called Lebanon.  

Something in a name is invariably always going to offend somebody. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/25/2017 at 1:26 PM, MGNation92 said:

A white guy never batting an eye at Dixie -- shocking! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2017 at 9:11 AM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

There is a town call Santa Anna in Texas......  actually it should be Santana since it was named for an Indian chief but but spell it like the Mexican General. 

Been there, it's near Brownwood.  I think he was a Penateka Comanche instead of Quahadi.

• 3 weeks later...

I find all of this falderal about Robert E. Lee rather ridiculous. As a history major (one of my classes was Dr. Lowe's Civil War and Reconstruction) and someone who studied the Civil War a bit too much, I have a different view of all this.

First of all Robert E. Lee was a brilliant General. His campaigns and tactics are probably still being studied at West Point. He was loved by all of the men who took up arms with him. But that's about it.

When it was clear that there was going to be a war between the states, "Bobby Lee" (as Shelby Foote called him) was offered the job of leading the Union Army by Lincoln. He was in the Union Army at the time and probably would have taken the job.  BUT his TRUE homeland VIRGINIA came calling, and he answered the call.......but only because his beloved Virginia asked.

So, when he assumed the command of the Confederate Army in Virginia, guess what name he gave it? Was it something like THE GRAND ARMY OF THE CONFEDERACY? NO, he called it THE ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA. And there it is. The man was only doing his duty for his true country, and true love......Virginia.

When the war was over, he stayed out of politics and his final wish was that he NOT be buried in his Confederate Uniform, and he requested that all Confederate veterans that participated in his funeral procession NOT wear their uniforms either. He was against statues of himself and memorials to the Confederacy.

So here's my question. Why the hell did all these states NOT NAMED VIRGINIA erect all those statues in honor of Robert E. Lee, when he clearly didn't have any connection (other than being a Confederate soldier) to any of those states? He's VIRGINIA'S hero, not Texas', not Louisiana, not Mississippi....etc.etc.  When the Texas chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy wanted to erect a statue of a Confederate hero, they should have picked someone like John Bell Hood. And they may have erected one, but I've never seen it.

Take all those "Bobby Lee" statues down and give them to Virginia.

And pick some Texas heroes to name all those Lee-Jackson etc. schools after.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I find all of this falderal about Robert E. Lee rather ridiculous. As a history major (one of my classes was Dr. Lowe's Civil War and Reconstruction) and someone who studied the Civil War a bit too much, I have a different view of all this.

First of all Robert E. Lee was a brilliant General. His campaigns and tactics are probably still being studied at West Point. He was loved by all of the men who took up arms with him. But that's about it.

When it was clear that there was going to be a war between the states, "Bobby Lee" (as Shelby Foote called him) was offered the job of leading the Union Army by Lincoln. He was in the Union Army at the time and probably would have taken the job.  BUT his TRUE homeland VIRGINIA came calling, and he answered the call.......but only because his beloved Virginia asked.

So, when he assumed the command of the Confederate Army in Virginia, guess what name he gave it? Was it something like THE GRAND ARMY OF THE CONFEDERACY? NO, he called it THE ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA. And there it is. The man was only doing his duty for his true country, and true love......Virginia.

When the war was over, he stayed out of politics and his final wish was that he NOT be buried in his Confederate Uniform, and he requested that all Confederate veterans that participated in his funeral procession NOT wear their uniforms either. He was against statues of himself and memorials to the Confederacy.

So here's my question. Why the hell did all these states NOT NAMED VIRGINIA erect all those statues in honor of Robert E. Lee, when he clearly didn't have any connection (other than being a Confederate soldier) to any of those states? He's VIRGINIA'S hero, not Texas', not Louisiana, not Mississippi....etc.etc.  When the Texas chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy wanted to erect a statue of a Confederate hero, they should have picked someone like John Bell Hood. And they may have erected one, but I've never seen it.

Take all those "Bobby Lee" statues down and give them to Virginia.

And pick some Texas heroes to name all those Lee-Jackson etc. schools after.

Very elegantly put.  I think the reason Lee was honored with statues in Texas is that he was admired in Texas as much as he was in Virginia.  His life was one of courage & dignity both during and after the war.  That was his message, not slavery - ". There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil." (Robert E. Lee, 1858).

Edited by GTWT
I'm an idiot
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GTWT said:

Very elegantly put.  I think the reason Lee was honored with statues in Texas is that he was admired in Texas as much as he was in Virginia.  His life was one of courage & dignity both during and after the war.  That was his message, not slavery - ". There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil." (Robert E. Lee, 1858).

A moral and political evil FOR WHITE PEOPLE. He wrote in the same breath that slavery was actually good and beneficial (morally and physically better) for enslaved black people. 

I even cut and pasted his actual quote a little earlier in this thread. 

14 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

A moral and political evil FOR WHITE PEOPLE. He wrote in the same breath that slavery was actually good and beneficial (morally and physically better) for enslaved black people. 

I even cut and pasted his actual quote a little earlier in this thread. 

You wouldn't agree with Lee that slavery was, " a greater evil to the white man than to the black race "?

Edited by GTWT
I can't write

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Is this a sarcastic question?  

Not at all.  Slavery, with all the horrors endured by the enslaved, was an even greater evil for the slave owner.  The slave, for all she endured, was not morally degraded, the slave owner was.

22 minutes ago, GTWT said:

Not at all.  Slavery, with all the horrors endured by the enslaved, was an even greater evil for the slave owner.  The slave, for all she endured, was not morally degraded, the slave owner was.

I don't think you're interpreting it the same way we are.

Slavery of white man = bad, not the white man as slave owner.

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, GTWT said:

Maybe I'm confused due to prepositions/sentence syntax.    Do you really mean to say "FOR" the slave owner?   Or "BY" the slave owner.   I'm not sure I understand, and surely you're not saying what I'm reading you're saying.