How tandem of Seth Littrell and Graham Harrell is getting UNT football back on track

Harry

DENTON -- Seth Littrell came to North Texas a year ago with a national reputation as an offensive guru and vowed to "tee it high and let it fly."

The path UNT's head coach took to reach that goal seemed a little unconventional, to say the least.

Littrell had been on the job just a few days when he handed his offense over to Graham Harrell, a Texas high school and college football legend with a short coaching résumé.

Littrell's decision to hire an old friend as his offensive coordinator and play-caller resulted in a few bumpy moments, but it paid dividends overall. UNT will head into the second year of the Littrell era off a turnaround season that came largely out of the chemistry the pair have developed together -- and with their players.

"Those two guys have a great relationship," UNT quarterback Mason Fine said. "Coach Littrell respects what Coach Harrell is trying to do. And Coach Harrell will bounce ideas off Littrell. Their attitudes complement each other. Coach Littrell is more laid-back, while Coach Harrell is always yelling. I am very comfortable with both those guys."

read more:  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/08/22/tandem-seth-littrell-graham-harrell-getting-unt-football-back-track

• Harry featured this topic
2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Harrell's growth as a play caller might be the most important aspect of our team improving that is hardly talked about. It was pretty suspect last year, and that might have been because of personnel issues. I expect it to be much better than last year

He has to be able to trust his OL & QB.   Right now, we know he can get the ball to Wilson effectively.  I anticipate Wilson gets a ton of touches again this year.  
But in order for him to do everything he wants to do, he has to be able to trust his OL will pass-pro well enough to let his QB make throws.   And his QB has to execute.  Otherwise, Fine may take those drive-killing 10-yd sacks again.

• Upvote 2

GH and SL will be better this year, just because Fine and the OL SHOULD be better. They have a year under their belts, they have a solid running back in Wilson, and receivers that should now know what routes to run.

The schedule is easier than it has been as far back as I can remember. Heck, our bodybag game is against an unranked Big Ten team that has struggled and lost to G5/FCS teams in the past during OOC play. If we cannot at least get to at least 5 wins again, I'll be really surprised.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I will go back to where was the quick slants and outs to the slot? In this offense the slot has to be a big time producer! Hopefully we have the talent this year.

They would run a quick out to Kenny Buyers often last year. Scored a TD vs UTSA with that one. 

There was a post a while back where I pointed out that the slot *was* our most productive position last year. The slot gets plenty of looks in this offense. It's hard to tell because you have two different kinds of slot players. The Thad Thompson variety and Kenny Buyers variety last year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

To me quick slants were non exsistant

Have to remember that the scheme is different, so quick slants may not explicitly be in the rotation, they are there in one form or another. There's always a short route, an intermediate route, and a deep route. 

Those quick slants could be the quick out from the inside I was referencing, a shallow cross (or two) with the Mesh play, a stick route and out route with Y stick, the Y cross, RB pass to the flat. There are many flavors of the short passing game.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Have to remember that the scheme is different, so quick slants may not explicitly be in the rotation, they are there in one form or another. There's always a short route, an intermediate route, and a deep route. 

Those quick slants could be the quick out from the inside I was referencing, a shallow cross (or two) with the Mesh play, a stick route and out route with Y stick, the Y cross, RB pass to the flat. There are many flavors of the short passing game.

Great points. To me quick has more to do with the drop steps of the QB. 1-2  or maybe 123 throw. That is why I love the slot! I believe we have the talent at receiver for an improvement! Gmg