Expectations vs. Lamar

Salsa_Verde

I'm curious to know what the fan base will consider a good showing by our Mean Green in the season opener. Personally I want to see what this Air Raid Offense can do. I want 60 on the scoreboard! 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Thanks 1

I just want to see the defense dominate and the offense be good and consistent.. last year we saw way, way to many flashes of the offense that they have 1 solid/impressive drive then nothing for 2/3 quarterss. 

Find the OL that works and stick with it. Also, give Quinn and Izzy playing time and hopefully in the 4th it will be nothing but 2s and 3s. If they are not going to RS any freshman play them as much as possible.

• Thanks 1

I want to see our offense and defense dominate Lamar, while keeping everything vanilla. Hopefully, we don't have to show SMU too much of our playbook. If we can easily control and win this game, we could be in for a special season.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Here's what I'm thinking will happen:

Mason plays through the first 3 quarters and then Quinn will play the 4th quarter to get some game reps. 

Mason will throw for 225 yards & 3 TDs

Jeff Wilson will have 115 yards & 2 TDs

Defense will look good getting 1 turnover, 4 sacks, and 10 TFL

Final Score: 45-21

Sounds right on, offensively speaking.  I'll give the defense a little more credit, though.  They force 3 TO's, and only allow 10 points.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Sounds right on, offensively speaking.  I'll give the defense a little more credit, though.  They force 3 TO's, and only allow 10 points.

I really hope you're right. That would be a very good sign for the season to come. I have a hard time assessing our defensive status without English. The loss could be easily absorbed by backups or it could be a pass for teams to run over us down the middle.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I really hope you're right. That would be a very good sign for the season to come. I have a hard time assessing our defensive status without English. The loss could be easily absorbed by backups or it could be a pass for teams to run over us down the middle.

If it's a pass for Lamar to run over us down the middle, we're in big, big trouble this season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

I hope we come out and throw the ball 20 times before we run it once.  Let's allow the line to get some pass blocking in while the 1's are still on the field.  We know that Jeffrey can run the ball and get some yards, what we don't know is what our receivers can do so let's do just that.  If Jeffrey breaks an 80 yard run that does nothing for me I would rather see 4 20 yard strikes in the air to make me feel more comfortable with this offensive progression in year 2.

• Upvote 2

Side note, former player of mine Josh Jinning has been competing for a starting LB spot for them, brought him to UNT twice on unofficials we just filled up at the LB spot. He led their scrimmage today with 5 tackles.  Looking forward to kicking their teeth in! 

• Thanks 2

I think we will win, but it won't surprise me at all if we let them hang around for a half or more. The guys are thinking about Game 2 and playing a FCS spare at home isn't going to get anyone all that excited. I won't be surprised at all if we have people ready to jump off the cliff here because we only beat Lamar 38-23 or something like it. Believe me, the absolute best thing that can happen in one of these games is that you win, don't get anyone hurt, don't show off anything special in terms of schemes, and just pay the check.

I'd feel great if we didn't win by a ton, got nobody hurt, showed basic schemes, and see SMU just pound SFA. Then, go to Dallas for our alternate home game and just pound the Ponies all night.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

I want to have hearing problems after the game due to the cannon being shot so many times! 

-I dont want to see too many stupid throws by our Starting QB

-Very limited Drops on Offense

-Sacks to a minimum

-No more than 1 turnover on offense

-Consistently move the ball with good T.O.P

-A couple of long offensive plays

-Defense Forces Turnovers, Keeps their QB on their back

-STOP THE RUN!! Limit the Pass

• Thanks 1

I expect to jump out to a quick 14-0 lead on the first 2 offensive drives.
I expect the defense to shut down/frustrate their offense quickly.
By the end of the half, it should be something like 28-0, or 28-7 if they get a TD on a busted play. 
I don't expect their defense to force a lot of punts against our offense.
I don't expect their offense to move the ball methodically against our defense.

From there, it should be some vanilla offense/defense to call the dogs off.   Lots of 2nd-string play in the 3rd quarter.  Lots of 3rd-string play in the 4th.

Final score: something like 45-14.

• Lovely Take 1