Saturday scrimmage notes (video coming later)

Brett Vito

People are sleeping on Andrew Tucker. As I noted last week, the kid has the strongest legs among the RB's. He's not the shiftiest or the fastest, but he has some power. He needs to be our short yardage and goalline back. 

We despartely need to get out of shotgun at the goal line. It just doesn't seem practical and it wasn't gelling all that well today. 

I don't believe BV took note of it, but Wyche had a couple very good cut back against the grain runs today. 

It's the best I've seen Nic Smith perform today. He took a slip screem for about 45 yds down the far sideline. He also showed good vision and patience in the hole which was very promising, and to me the most difficult aspect for a RB to learn. And it's not a stutter stepping kind of vision like a Jimmerson. It was a peripheral wait for his blocks set up kind of vision. Then he showed a good burst when it opened. 

By the time I got there both Guyton and Wilson had shoulder pads off. Not sure if they even participated today. 

Kelvin Smith made a good 25 yd reception on a 50/50 ball down the seam thrown by Fine.

QB play was decent at best. I think this competition between Fine and Shanbour is much closer than people suspect. Shanbour works the middle of the field and for the 2nd scrimmage in a row Fine didn't even attempt to unless it's a go-route down the seam. Shanbour also runs better than Fine IMO. I'm kond of eager to see what Shanbour could do running the ball on scrambles in live competition. 

Murray and TJ got into a 5 sec face mask shoving altercation down at the goal line. Both were simultaneously pulled and coached up by different coaches. 

Rutherford was getting 1st team reps today. 

Like BV noted, run game pulled the weight today even with Wilson sitting. Kind of worrisome for our D. We need English in there ASAP. 

I think WR #14 is one of the freshmen. He certainly looks the part. Needs about 10-12 lb added to that frame though. 

I came away very pleased with the OL. They were blowing people off the ball all day and showed some athleticism in the screen game. Pass pro is significantly better. QB's can't statue it up for 3 seconds expecting to get 3 more. 

• Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I am getting more and more worried about the quarterback position. Mason should've easily separated himself from this group and he has not. 

I agree, but just having the OL (hopefully) coming around will lead to better QB production, and if needed better QB play if Fine can't produce.

• Upvote 1

"Backup Quinn Shanbour hit Keegan Brewer on a busted coverage for a 96-yard touchdown and connected with Justin Cain for an 45-yard strike on the final play of the day. He also threw a pass that was intercepted by linebacker Hayden Doggett."

"-- Shanbour held the ball so long at one point while looking for a receiver or running room that someone yelled "throw it" from the sideline."

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

People are sleeping on Andrew Tucker. As I noted last week, the kid has the strongest legs among the RB's. He's not the shiftiest or the fastest, but he has some power. He needs to be our short yardage and goalline back. 

We despartely need to get out of shotgun at the goal line. It just doesn't seem practical and it wasn't gelling all that well today. 

I don't believe BV took note of it, but Wyche had a couple very good cut back against the grain runs today. 

It's the best I've seen Nic Smith perform today. He took a slip screem for about 45 yds down the far sideline. He also showed good vision and patience in the hole which was very promising, and to me the most difficult aspect for a RB to learn. And it's not a stutter stepping kind of vision like a Jimmerson. It was a peripheral wait for his blocks set up kind of vision. Then he showed a good burst when it opened. 

By the time I got there both Guyton and Wilson had shoulder pads off. Not sure if they even participated today. 

Kelvin Smith made a good 25 yd reception on a 50/50 ball down the seam thrown by Fine.

QB play was decent at best. I think this competition between Fine and Shanbour is much closer than people suspect. Shanbour works the middle of the field and for the 2nd scrimmage in a row Fine didn't even attempt to unless it's a go-route down the seam. Shanbour also runs better than Fine IMO. I'm kond of eager to see what Shanbour could do running the ball on scrambles in live competition. 

I saw him take off on an unprotected run last year in a scrimmage. A DB came up to meet him about 15-20yrds down the field. When they collided, the DB flew backward a yard or two. Now, this might be a simple matter of physics (one object is going faster than the other), but he certainly didn't shy away from contact, and after the collision he was still standing.

Murray and TJ got into a 5 sec face mask shoving altercation down at the goal line. Both were simultaneously pulled and coached up by different coaches. 

Rutherford was getting 1st team reps today. 

Like BV noted, run game pulled the weight today even with Wilson sitting. Kind of worrisome for our D. We need English in there ASAP

For most of the scrimmage, I noticed that 96 was jamming things up in the middle. Most the long runs were between the tackle and end.

I think WR #14 is one of the freshmen. He certainly looks the part. Needs about 10-12 lb added to that frame though. 

I came away very pleased with the OL. They were blowing people off the ball all day and showed some athleticism in the screen game. Pass pro is significantly better. QB's can't statue it up for 3 seconds expecting to get 3 more. 

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

"Backup Quinn Shanbour hit Keegan Brewer on a busted coverage for a 96-yard touchdown and connected with Justin Cain for an 45-yard strike on the final play of the day. He also threw a pass that was intercepted by linebacker Hayden Doggett."

"-- Shanbour held the ball so long at one point while looking for a receiver or running room that someone yelled "throw it" from the sideline."

giphy.gif

The interception came after the ball was batted up in the air at the line of scrimmage. And for the record. Fine had at least one pass batted down at the line of scrimmage.

• Lovely Take 3

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Anyone else worried that the run game suddenly looks much better after English went out?   As in, maybe it wasn't the run game improving... maybe it's the DL?

Yes. It was concerning. As I was watching the scrimmage I was concerned about it. TJ is a good player, but his motor is limited and when he's out there after a 1st down he's going through the motions and not dictating 2 blockers. He's the epitome of why there are DL rotations and why quality depth is so important. I'm kind of thinking they'll rorate Young back to nose and let him and TJ rotate out until English gets back. It's really the only feasible option. We're much deeper at DE than we are at DT. There's been feel good write ups coming out of camp about Sid Moore and Krasinsqi, but they are both way too light to get consistent reps inside. 

With all of that said, the OL has still made strides and the improvement in run block and pass pro is visible. 

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yes. It was concerning. As I was watching the scrimmage I was concerned about it. TJ is a good player, but his motor is limited and when he's out there after a 1st down he's going through the motions and not dictating 2 blockers. He's the epitome of why there are DL rotations and why quality depth is so important. I'm kind of thinking they'll rorate Young back to nose and let him and TJ rotate out until English gets back. It's really the only feasible option. We're much deeper at DE than we are at DT. There's been feel good write ups coming out of camp about Sid Moore and Krasinsqi, but they are both way too light to get consistent reps inside. 

With all of that said, the OL has still made strides and the improvement in run block and pass pro is visible. 

Has a timeline been given on English?

59 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

The break occurred on the 8th of August I believe. That was a Tuesday. Heard boot comes off today or tomorrow and he's allowed to bear weight on it. So they'll have him in the boot for exactly 2 weeks. Given that information, if true, I wouldn't completely rule him out vs SMUg. That would be 4 weeks and 4 days of rest and healing. Odds are he'll be a no-go. I personally would hold him out vs. a physical OL at Iowa. If I'm a betting man, I'd bet he'll be back at home vs UAB on 9/23. That falls in the parameters of 6-8 weeks and over a month out of the boot. 

IOW, I have no idea. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

It's been thought he would miss around 6 weeks with that bringing him back around UAB/SM.... if he misses UAB, his first home game will be UTSA. 

Just saying but that maybe a large crowd because of UTSA, but also to see English as well (hopefully)

• Upvote 1