Six Flags over Texas takes down all their flags

Add to that list in possible danger of being removed  are  Travis and Bowie statues.  ....because  they once owned slaves....  This is getting ridiculous .... Gen Forrest  ... yes... he helped form the KKK ... Maybe a few more ... There was one today taken down that was located on the former site of a slave auction.....OK ...  A few do make sense but in general ... not a good idea. The US government did not even change the name of Fort Davis (named for Jefferson Davis, US Sec. of War, later CSA President) after the war and the largest military base in Texas is Fort Hood ... named for a CSA general,  Gen John Hood... Many of these men served the American army in the Mexican War and on the frontier... Lee, Davis,  etc. were not locked up for treason either as some try to claim they were traitors...  Very few  CSA soldiers ever owned a slave.. they fought for their state and home ..... not slavery really.  .... 

I do get Six Flags not using the "battle flag of CSA" which the KKK displays so much but use the other one which is what they have been doing. .... The CSA flag flown alone is one thing ... but using all six is just history and not trying to send any message. ..Getting more ridiculous would be taking down all WWII statues.... after all the USA was segregated then... Where will they draw the line and stop.?? -----  

America: Love It or Leave It

(but if you do leave it, make a seditious new flag when you go based purely on the institutions of racial superiority. then 152 years after your leaders cowardly tuck tail, definitely hold on to their inflated tales of heroism and memorialize/celebrate those who wished to divide the nation in the name of owning another human and wave that flag and defend their statued place in society despite their ethos being antithetical to all a true American would hold dear)

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

This is ridiculous and I just have to thank some  millennials and the parents that raised that select group that has turned this into such a hot button issue.. 

it will only get worse and worse from here on out.

ya. millennials created race issues in america. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 8

6 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

(but if you do leave it, make a seditious new flag when you go based purely on the institutions of racial superiority. then 152 years after your leaders cowardly tuck tail, definitely hold on to their inflated tales of heroism and memorialize/celebrate those who wished to divide the nation in the name of owning another human and wave that flag and defend their statued place in society despite their ethos being antithetical to all a true American would hold dear)

People made statues to them because they were heroic.  These were people's friends and family members who were defending their homeland.   Sure, at a macro scale the trigger point of the war was slavery and the South was clearly wrong and paid dearly for that despicable choice.  However, just because the war means something to the political class, it doesn't mean that it meant the same to your average mountain-boy in Tennessee who enlisted or was conscripted into the war.   We have large numbers of diaries from Union and Confederate soldiers and slavery is almost never mentioned as a reason for the fighting for either side.   You have to remember that most folks in those days (particularly in the South) identified themselves as a citizens of their state primarily, so calling these folks "seditious" or "traitors", which seems to have gotten really fashionable on the liberal boards these last few years, lacks historical context.

Now... I don't have a problem with taking down confederate battle flags, given their history with the Klan in the 1920s-30s, but tearing down statues of confederate soldiers and taking down the "stars and bars" at Six Flags is just plain stupid and reactionary.  This is a modern day Byzantine Iconoclasm.   There is no logical place for this to end.  Do we tear down statues of Washington and Jefferson as they were slaveholders (and traitors to their mother country as well, btw).? Do we tear down statues of Roosevelt due to the Japanese Internment?  What should a "true American" do?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

A Robert E. Lee statue isn't a race issue.. the statues show how America was torn apart by 2 different ideals and how people were willing to fight to protect those ideals. Thank god the North Won, but I wasn't the US that started slavery, it had been around for over hundreds of years...

It was a republican who ended slavery, but you can bring up The Southern Plan that used it for political gains most recently, but it was the south (Dems at the time) that came up with the lost cause as for why the civil war was fought (slavery wasn't an issue/major issue they claim).  I'm  not going to play the Dems did it first and now it's okay that Reps did it.. both sides have been wrong before and both sides will be wrong in the future. 

No the generation (some of them) that raised and allowed for a bunch of tight-pant wearing guys (sorry to gender assume), get my feelings hurt because my person didnt win or I need a trophy because I finished in last place is why we are here. Dealing with stupid pointless issues over a damn Confederate Flag, or statues is a waste of damn time when we have more important issues to deal with.

The millennials that think everything bad in the past needs to come down is idiotic.. we got more important crap going on in our lives than worrying about a stupid micro-aggression that someone gets from a statue... 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

21 hours ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

People made statues to them because they were heroic.  These were people's friends and family members who were defending their homeland.   Sure, at a macro scale the trigger point of the war was slavery and the South was clearly wrong and paid dearly for that despicable choice.  However, just because the war means something to the political class, it doesn't mean that it meant the same to your average mountain-boy in Tennessee who enlisted or was conscripted into the war.   We have large numbers of diaries from Union and Confederate soldiers and slavery is almost never mentioned as a reason for the fighting for either side.   You have to remember that most folks in those days (particularly in the South) identified themselves as a citizens of their state primarily, so calling these folks "seditious" or "traitors", which seems to have gotten really fashionable on the liberal boards these last few years, lacks historical context.

Now... I don't have a problem with taking down confederate battle flags, given their history with the Klan in the 1920s-30s, but tearing down statues of confederate soldiers and taking down the "stars and bars" at Six Flags is just plain stupid and reactionary.  This is a modern day Byzantine Iconoclasm.   There is no logical place for this to end.  Do we tear down statues of Washington and Jefferson as they were slaveholders (and traitors to their mother country as well, btw).? Do we tear down statues of Roosevelt due to the Japanese Internment?  What should a "true American" do?

We should replace the Stars & Bars with the Star Spangled Banner & Lee's statues with statues of U. S. Grant.  Oh wait,... The U. S. flag flew over a slave country for nearly 100 years & Grant was a slave owner.  It ain't easy being politically correct.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 5

On 8/19/2017 at 3:57 AM, Censored by Laurie said:

Lot of assumptions in here. Expected. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

On 8/19/2017 at 11:01 AM, MeanGreenTeeth said:

People made statues to them because they were heroic.  

Most of these statues were mass produced during the Jim Crowe era. Coincidence? I think not. 

Are there ANY military statues at NT?  I remember enjoying a lot of the art on campus but I have no recollection of military statues, confederate or otherwise. Of course it's been a few years. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, EagleD said:

Most of these statues were mass produced during the Jim Crowe era. Coincidence? I think not. 

Are there ANY military statues at NT?  I remember enjoying a lot of the art on campus but I have no recollection of military statues, confederate or otherwise. Of course it's been a few years. 

I see someone gets all their information they need on the topic from the videos on their Facebook feed.  I'm sure that information is completely accurate and unbiased. 

I still haven't seen anyone go on the record here.  Should statues of Jefferson and Washington be taken down too?  If not, why not?  What is the logical distinction?  The vast majority of confederates soldiers never had a slave in their life. Surely folks who had large holdings of slaves are more worthy of contempt?  I mean.. there is no way this is just a made-up issue the left came up with to get folks agitated could it?   Remember of all those confederate statues coming down when Obama was president?

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

FWIW, people burned a statue of Lincoln(The man who freed the slaves) in Chicago, as well as destroyed the oldest statue in the States dedicated to Columbus.

Vice even published(which was quickly redacted) an article trying to justify blowing up Mount Rushmore. It's hysteria at it's finest.

I'm not saying I agree one way or another. I went to Robert E Lee High school and regularly saw white and black people waving confederate flags at the football games, so it was never really an issue. In fact, I'm fairly certain the house across the street from said high school is still flying the flag like it has for the past 30 years.

It will be interesting to see what comes of it, and the heights it will reach.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I'm completely unfamiliar with this stuff.  I was searching for the six flags.  

So why do these six flags that fly in Austin

Six_Flags_of_Texas.jpg

not match these six flags, which appear to be an old postcard from the amusement park?

six_flags_postcard_k4a.jpg

But this original logo matches the first picture from Austin:

Six_Flags_over_Texas_Original_Logo.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm being whooshed, but that is Six Flags over Georgia, not Six Flags over Texas.....

• Downvote 1