2019 game @ Wisconsin moved to 2025

@UNTSportsFan

Just now, golfingomez said:

Thank God... Wisconsin is a team that will put our players onto the trainer's table

Don't think so.  We've played Alabama, Florida, LSU and Clemson without too much wear and tear and they are much more athletic than Wisconsin who is always exposed when they play an athletic team.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Don't think so.  We've played Alabama, Florida, LSU and Clemson without too much wear and tear and they are much more athletic than Wisconsin who is always exposed when they play an athletic team.

"Athletic" is not the worry when you're playing a traditionally run-heavy offense with some very big dudes on both sides of the line.  
I'd say WI is punishing, not necessarily athletic.  That's what would put guys on the trainer's table.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

they are definitely not more athletic like those teams... they just employ about 7-8 bulldozers on every play... and ram the ball down your throat. i'm more worried about our LB's and safeties getting repeatedly run over than I am about watching those other teams simply throw the ball over our heads or run around us.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

"Athletic" is not the worry when you're playing a traditionally run-heavy offense with some very big dudes on both sides of the line.  
I'd say WI is punishing, not necessarily athletic.  That's what would put guys on the trainer's table.

Athletic is what they will worry about when playing us.

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hmm.

Here comes Wren's big moment.   Replace Wisconsin with another P5 (keeping RV's status quo for now), or schedule another home/home with someone else (show us he has a plan to end the financial reliance on the paycheck game within 1.5 yrs).   I'm really hoping for the latter.

I'd be curious to see what the buyout clause looks like before we make the choice to opt out of the contract altogether.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Athletic is what they will worry about when playing us.

I think there is a miscommunication here.
I agree with Wisconsin having issues with the speedy, "athletic" teams that can get around & squeak through the ogres on their team.    

I was more referring to this part of your statement:

51 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This made it sound like you were saying we'll hold up well against Wisconsin's road graders because we got out of the games with those "athletic" SEC schools with no injuries.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think there is a miscommunication here.
I agree with Wisconsin having issues with the speedy, "athletic" teams that can get around & squeak through the ogres on their team.    

I was more referring to this part of your statement:

This made it sound like you were saying we'll hold up well against Wisconsin's road graders because we got out of the games with those "athletic" SEC schools with no injuries.

Honestlly, the really don't worry me as opposed to an SEC team.

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

I'd be curious to see what the buyout clause looks like before we make the choice to opt out of the contract altogether.

Opt out of the Wisconsin game?  
May as well play it rather than paying a penalty... unless we're doing extremely well financially circa 2023 when we could opt-out and pay while having enough time to get someone else on the schedule.

• Upvote 1

What I just noticed is that the SMU game was scheduled for the same day so the game against the Ponies has to be moved to a different date. I bet that is why in FBS they mentioned "pending approval of an agreement/contract."

• Downvote 1

Another options is that we now move the @Liberty game to 2019 if need be. I think Liberty would be willing to play ball, as Liberty has 6 home games in 2018 now, but only 4 in 2019. In any case this allows to visit someone else in 18 or 19, and then get that team to visit UNT in 2022 or 2023. If there is a good name desperate for a home game that late in the process, we could get a nice home and home.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, outoftown said:

Hmmm.. interesting. Why move it all the way to 2025?. Why not, for example, move it to 2022?  Something is in the offing, as I doubt it was Wisconsin who asked for this change.

Wisconsin moved the game.. the basically flipped UNT with Kent State, from how I took the tweet tocmean but I didn't read the link

17 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Would like to see another home game even if it's vs someone like Lamar or Sam Houston St, etc 

I may have misunderstood the tweet but that's how I took it 

Actually, I just looked it up, and the 2019 game is still on the same date for Wisconsin. I don't really understand why Wisconsin would care to flip the games...

But maybe Kent State asked for it? Maybe they need money? Their 2019 OOC is pretty gruesome: @Arizona State, @Auburn and now @Wisconsin. Thats a lot of money games. Also they play three P5s away in 2018 also, so that really might be it need of money and UNT and Wisconsin were simply happy to oblige. Looks like Kent State will have 5 home game scheds all from 2017 to 2019. If I were their coach (or their fans) I would HATE that.

If that isn't it, I still can't come up with a reasoning for this swap unless it is UNT who asked to move it because we are also moving something else.

Edited by outoftown

57 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Would like to see another home game even if it's vs someone like Lamar or Sam Houston St, etc

If I would have to bet, I would bet on it getting replaced with the away game for a one and one with someone. Or we could move the liberty home game up to either  2019. or 2018 (and play the away game 2019). In any case this created some space for WB to move things around.

Edited by outoftown

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Get a home n home on the board with LaLa or Texas St for 2019 and return game in 2023(?). With us having the front home game, 

Right now we only have two OOC games scheduled for 2022 -- SMU 9/10 & @Memphis 9/17.

I am of the opinion that there is a school we're working with on a home and home. Otherwise I don't think we would have moved this game out.

ULL is full for 2019 but Tx State only has three games scheduled -- @Texas A&M 8/31; Wyoming 9/7; & @SMU 9/14.

• Downvote 1

After a quick glance... A home and home series could be filled by either Miami (FL) or Cal. Both are open on 9-14-2019, and need another home game. And both have openings for away games in 2022, on either 9-3 or 9-24.

I'd love to see either Miami or Cal face the Mean Green at Apogee in 2022.

Please no more South Alabama type series.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1