Harry

Which game you youbrather win?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Which game would you rather win?

• SMU
    • UTSA

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Which one?

We have lost many games to SMU over the years. We can't afford to have similar results against UTSA.

I've said it before,... I will never give our coaches a pass on losing to UTSA. No excuses. I expect us to win that game.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 3

43 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

I'm surprised so many picked SMU.

Beating SMU would do very little for recruiting because they are in a better conference.  

Beating UTSA would do a lot more as far as recruiting.

Exactly. Plus, UTSA counts as a win overall and a conference win. Helps our standing in our division, conference, and with recruits against the school we maybe go head to head with the most.

We beat SMU and lost to UTSA all in a 5-game stretch at the end of 2013 and beginning of 2014. The win against SMU did nothing for us going forward, both in recruiting or that season. The loss to UTSA prevented us from going to a conference championship game. That should illustrate the impact that these games really can hold for us.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

UTSA

Mainly because they are an in state conference foe, but I also look at this way:  Most people don't expect us to beat SMU, so it's not really a negative, except to our pride.  On the other hand, UTSA is a "new" school so most people would think we should beat them.  Far more negative to lose to them.

In a nutshell, I think the negative of losing to UTSA is greater than the positive of beating SMU.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 4

The UTSA game is picked by some because it is a conference game.  By that logic every conference game would be more important than beating SMU or Iowa for that matter.   

Both teams have no problem beating NT in head to head recruiting.  SMU is a much bigger name nationally although they don't deserve it.  If you assume the UTSA game is for a conference championship, it is obviously the bigger game.   However, without that assumption: I prefer a win over SMU which would at least give NT the metroplex G5 bragging rights. I also think it would aid the image of the program and recruiting much more than a win over UTSA.

In general, I don't see a win over UTSA anymore important than any other conference game.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow folks okay with going 1-5 against ut freaking  Sa.  Or whatever the horrible record is against the roadrunners.  The roadrunners! 

They laugh at us now and too many more losses and we will never turn that record against them.  Smu will always own us on the numbers game, we can still catch utsa.  Geez catch Utsa.  I remember the good old days when we owned western Kentucky. 

Beat'em both. 

Go Mean Green!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't understand how a win against SMU would do more for recruiting since we've lost more recruits to UTSA and we play in the same division as UTSA so a win against them could mean winning the division... Seems like a win against UTSA amidst a good season would do more.

It would, but "they're not a rival", dontcha know?

UNT should beat UTSA every time.  Every game, in every sport.

• Lovely Take 1

Well, I've seen one win against each team and they were both mighty satisfying if for no other reason than to see their shitty fans sulking out of our stadium.  Tough call on this one, but I'd really, really like to see us take one down in Dallas for once and maybe see a few of those popped collars wilt in the setting sun. 

• Lovely Take 2

10 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The UTSA game is picked by some because it is a conference game.  By that logic every conference game would be more important than beating SMU or Iowa for that matter.   

Both teams have no problem beating NT in head to head recruiting.  SMU is a much bigger name nationally although they don't deserve it.  If you assume the UTSA game is for a conference championship, it is obviously the bigger game.   However, without that assumption: I prefer a win over SMU which would at least give NT the metroplex G5 bragging rights. I also think it would aid the image of the program and recruiting much more than a win over UTSA.

In general, I don't see a win over UTSA anymore important than any other conference game.  

This right'chere is some critical thinking.

If the weight is shifting to UTSA simply being a conference foe, then that would also mean a win VS FAU means more than a win VS SMU.   I don't see it that way.

Can't be the "Team of North Texas" if we can't beat SMU.
And sorry to burst some of y'all's recruiting worry bubbles, but we're losing commits to SMU at a higher clip than we are to UTSA.  3:1  -  http://northtexas.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Offers

Easy choice here folks, and it seems most agree.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 3
  • Thanks 1