AAC = Power 6?

Harry

This right here tells you all you need to know.

1. An aspiring Power 6 conference should be willing to go toe-to-toe with the competent big boys in non-conference play. 

I examined the 2017 schedule of every team in the Group of 5 –- Sun Belt, Mid-American, Conference USA, Mountain West and, yes, the American –- to count how many non-conference games each has with Power 5 teams that played in a bowl last season. How did the numbers shake out?

C-USA – 18
Mountain West – 15
Sun Belt – 13
MAC – 9
American – 8

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

1. An aspiring Power 6 conference should be willing to go toe-to-toe with the competent big boys in non-conference play. 

I examined the 2017 schedule of every team in the Group of 5 –- Sun Belt, Mid-American, Conference USA, Mountain West and, yes, the American –- to count how many non-conference games each has with Power 5 teams that played in a bowl last season. How did the numbers shake out?

C-USA – 18
Mountain West – 15
Sun Belt – 13
MAC – 9
American – 8

That actually makes me proud of C-USA.

33 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

C-USA – 18
Mountain West – 15
Sun Belt – 13
MAC – 9
American – 8

Some call it willing to go toe to toe with the big boys. Others call it body bag games. I guess it's a matter of perspective. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I remember posting a similar article to this about a year ago.  SMU was essentially asserting that they were already a power 6 because, well, they're SMU dammit! 

Of the G5 conferences, I'd put AAC and MWC at the top of the pile, but the chasm between those two and the P5 is still pretty vast.  

Who's the worst P5 conference?  I'm guessing the Big XII?  You think SMU and ECU are going to go toe to toe with Texas, OU, OSU, or even Tech and a (rightfully so) depleted Baylor? 

55 minutes ago, JRock said:

I want to see SMU play my LSU Tigers. Let's use that game as a test as to whether they belong with the big boys. 

I would like to see  the results of USF vs. Purdue,  Memphis vs. Kansas, or Cincinnati vs. Oregon State (I suspect these would all be blowouts). Hell what about Navy vs. Notre Dame, Memphis vs. Ole Miss, UH vs. Florida State, or UH vs. Oklahoma (all wins vs "big boys").

Point is, every conference has their "big boys." The argument is that ACC's big boys can keep up with P5 big boys. Why should the litmus test be a bottom dweller of a conference playing a premier team of a P5 conference?

Edited by Eastwood Eagle

1 minute ago, Rowdy said:

I  would like to see how many wins CUSA can get out of those 18.  Good measuring stick to see how competitive we are or if they are just body bag games.  

The AAC has yet to post a winning record in the postseason since its creation. That's a pretty fair measuring stick.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1