UTSA deals with life being the Favorite

Harry

From the moment UTSA debuted its football program in 2011, even going back to when the school floated the idea of football in the mid-2000s, the buzz around the Roadrunners was that they were a mountain of potential.

Mark 2016 as the year that potential began to become reality. UTSA went on to tie the record for the youngest program (sixth year) to make a bowl game, and now, with more than half their starters back, they are suddenly picked to finish second in the Conference USA West Division.

The issue around the Roadrunners now shifts to how they can handle success. One immediate way is to focus on how the season ended, which was a narrow loss to New Mexico in the Gildan New Mexico Bowl.

read more:  http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sports/football/2017/08/16/utsa-deals-life-favorite/541731001/

UTSA just has so many advantages that nobody else in the conference has--only FBS school in a big city that has shown support to them. They get really solid coverage from the SA media. They have quality OOC teams that want to play them in home-and-home series because their city is viewed as both a tourist spot and as a hotbed for recruiting. And the biggest of all is that they don't have a history of apathy and lots of losing to get rid of.

I said it back in 2010 when they were getting ready to start their program up--they have the most potential we have seen from a startup since USF. Whether they can fully take advantage of it remains to be seen, but so far, they have done almost everything right in becoming a solid G5 program. It won't surprise me at all to see them getting a spot in the AAC or MWC down the road.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

UTSA just has so many advantages that nobody else in the conference has--only FBS school in a big city that has shown support to them. They get really solid coverage from the SA media. They have quality OOC teams that want to play them in home-and-home series because their city is viewed as both a tourist spot and as a hotbed for recruiting. And the biggest of all is that they don't have a history of apathy and lots of losing to get rid of.

I said it back in 2010 when they were getting ready to start their program up--they have the most potential we have seen from a startup since USF. Whether they can fully take advantage of it remains to be seen, but so far, they have done almost everything right in becoming a solid G5 program. It won't surprise me at all to see them getting a spot in the AAC or MWC down the road.

they are our Rival you know....

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

All true.  The fact that they play in a 64,000  seat indoor facility has helped them tremendously with both scheduling and recruiting.  

They faced no burden to build  a stadium.  Why should they buy a cow when the milk is practically given to them? 

Without the  Alamodome, their football program would have had a much harder time getting off the ground.

Edited by casual fan

7 hours ago, casual fan said:

All true.  The fact that they play in a 64,000  seat indoor facility has helped them tremendously with both scheduling and recruiting.  

They faced no burden to build  a stadium.  Why should they buy a cow when the milk is practically given to them? 

Without the  Alamodome, their football program would have had a much harder time getting off the ground.

Don't forget KFC.

13 hours ago, casual fan said:

The Alamodome point may be the biggest advantage they had in getting the program going and getting San Antonio's citizenry onboard.

They have had a lot of things go right, but mostly because they had an administration that wanted this to happen and alumni/citizens that were ready to support it.

And, yes, I'm jealous as hell of them. I don't care how much longer we have played or that we have a college town and they don't or that they have KFC helping them get butts in seats. Everything that we have done wrong, they have done right...