Bold Predictions for North Texas in 2017

Salsa_Verde

1. North Texas will be bowl-eligible again: UNT has been bowl-eligible with six wins just once since 2004. The Mean Green won eight regular season games in 2013 and then beat UNLV in the Heart of Dallas Bowl (INSERT DT COMMENT HERE). UNT made a return trip to the Heart of Dallas Bowl last fall as a five-win team due to its performance on the NCAA's Academic Progress Rate report. The Mean Green won't need to lean on their APR score in 2017, when UNT will win at least six games in the regular season.

Very Proud of Bret for not writing anything about Derek Thompson being the HOD Bowl MVP in 2013

• Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Leave Seth Alone.....Leave Seth Alone.....Leave Seth Alone....

I would not expect much clamoring for him if he only goes 6-6 as the article suggests.
If he happens to go 8-4, or better, and gets poached, then by all means!  On to bigger/better for him, while UNT pockets a sizeable buyout to turn around and pay another hungry coach who sees UNT as a great spot to move up.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I would not expect much clamoring for him if he only goes 6-6 as the article suggests.
If he happens to go 8-4, or better, and gets poached, then by all means!  On to bigger/better for him, while UNT pockets a sizeable buyout to turn around and pay another hungry coach who sees UNT as a great spot to move up.

I would love for SL to be our Patterson.....

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I would love for SL to be our Patterson.....

Me too!   But looking at his track record of taking the next available opportunity, I don't expect him to.   Instead, I'd be more than happy with him being our version of Boise St's Dirk Koetter, leaving a trail of fantastic coaches behind.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

These predictions were the most interesting to me: 

3. The backup quarterback situation will be a talking point.

Can Fine stay healthy through the whole season? Let's hope so, this team will go as far as Fine can take it. 

4. UNT will win at least one game it's not supposed to

Let's hope it's more than just one but beating SMU would be a great start to the season. 

• Lovely Take 2

46 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

These predictions were the most interesting to me: 

3. The backup quarterback situation will be a talking point.

Can Fine stay healthy through the whole season? Let's hope so, this team will go as far as Fine can take it. 

4. UNT will win at least one game it's not supposed to

Let's hope it's more than just one but beating SMU would be a great start to the season. 

My hopes for the season hinge on the SMU game.

Come out of Dallas with a win, and I think the team will win 7, maybe 8.
Lose in Dallas, and 5-7 is a possibility.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If we beat smu, we will contend for the west this year. SMUg will be good this year and therefore it would be a quality win. SMUg is probably tied as the 3rd best team on our schedule behind Iowa, La Tech. Tied with the likes of utsa and so miss. We beat smug in week 2, the season sets itself up nicely and we can go into the next 10 games with the confidence of having a competitive team. We lose to smug, we probably lose to the aforementioned teams as well. That puts us as having 7 winnables left, and Lord knows no one in this conference runs the table vs teams they're supposed to beat. We'll need to go 5-1 vs ODU, FAU, Rice, Army, UTEP, and UAB. Lamar being our surefire W. That's the path to 6-6. Beat smug, we can get to 9 regular season wins. A lot of confidence hangs in the balance on September 9th. 

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Me too!   But looking at his track record of taking the next available opportunity, I don't expect him to.   Instead, I'd be more than happy with him being our version of Boise St's Dirk Koetter, leaving a trail of fantastic coaches behind.

Either is fine with me.

We beat UTSA.

Edited by UNTLifer

Here is my bold prediction...

The extra weight Fine has added in the off season helps him stay healthy for the entire year. Mason Fine throws for 2,700 yards and 20 touchdowns, against fewer then 10 picks and we win the HOD, ...beating SMU and UTSA along the way. Fine is selected to the All-C-USA 2nd team.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/17/2017 at 5:10 PM, Salsa_Verde said:

Unfortunately if we do very well this season and Klinsbury gets fired, I could see him moving on to Texas Tech. 

If he does, great for UNT because of WB will still be here and NS so it will be a bigger payment from tech to UNT because of the 1 year extension given go SL earlier in the year 

• Upvote 2

I think it's well known you're on the Baker train..but correct me if I'm wrong when I say Baker didn't hire SL. The true test will be when SL leaves and Baker needs to hire his replacement. I'm optimistic he is capable of making a good hire. I like Smatrsek he has brought the kind of accountability and management that should be expected from a tier one university. 

On 8/17/2017 at 5:23 PM, outoftown said:

I feel like there is nothing bold at all about predictions 2 and 3-

I like your bold opinion. Keep it coming! 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I think it's well known you're on the Baker train..but correct me if I'm wrong when I say Baker didn't hire SL. The true test will be when SL leaves and Baker needs to hire his replacement. I'm optimistic he is capable of making a good hire. I like Smatrsek he has brought the kind of accountability and management that should be expected from a tier one university. 

If SL can get UNT back to a bowl game and is picked up by Tech that likely means 8+ wins and I still doubt Tech would hire SL because he hasn't impressed in 1 area. 

Why would we be optimistic about WB hiring? He made a great hire that shocked many people here because of the buyout. Yes, we thought GMac was a candidate but idk how many of us actually thought it could happen. WB has done nothing to make us question his ability to hire a coach. He locked up the most success coach in the Athletic Dept. (soccer) and redid SL contract, which if he leaves will look even better because of the larger buyout.

• Upvote 1

Smatresek is coming over from a basketball school, that's his strength, I'm not surprised he pushed for that buyout. SL got the extension from the new AD because Baker wants to let it be known he has full confidence in him, which is the right thing to do politically. As far as soccer is concerned, he should lock up that coach and give him more money to start a men's program! Wren needs to fire our softball coach....I believe that will be his first fire and hire. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2017 at 10:17 AM, Side Show Joe said:

Here is my bold prediction...

The extra weight Fine has added in the off season helps him stay healthy for the entire year. Mason Fine throws for 2,700 yards and 20 touchdowns, against fewer then 10 picks and we win the HOD, ...beating SMU and UTSA along the way. Fine is selected to the All-C-USA 2nd team.

1/3 of the way through this season Fine has thrown for over 1,000 yards, 9 touchdowns, and 3 INTs.

If he can keep up this pace, Fine would finish with over 3,000 yards and post 27 touchdowns, with only 9 INTs.

I didn't get the SMU prediction right, but Fine is off to a great start this season.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

Fine is a solid QB. He makes good reads and decisions, which come with experience. He's light years better than anything we have at QB not named Derek Thompson since 2013. You just can't make him taller, though.

His numbers are solid, but that 3rd down efficiency has got to improve or he's going to have the emptiest QB numbers around here like we saw with the QBs in Dodge's tenure here. They need him to move the chains in the 4th qtr of games when our defense is gassed.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe this could have been edited before being put on the web...

3. The backup quarterback situation will a talking point: 

If our guys only win 6 or 7 games (not counting a bowl game win), there is no way Seth will be offered a better job with a "bigger program". I think when he starts pulling off 8 to 10 wins in a regular season, then it will be impossible to keep him around. Also, I think he is good enough to make that a reality. SL gives a damn. You can just feel it when you speak to him. He cares about the players, the program, and the school. I have no doubt that he looks at this job as a stepping stone, but he is not the kind of guy to not give this job all he has. 

Now, I am ready to pay my 7 bucks, hook my I Pad up to my TV, and watch UNT kick the shit out of USM. GO MEAN GREEN!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, North Texas Shep said:

Maybe this could have been edited before being put on the web...

3. The backup quarterback situation will a talking point: 

If our guys only win 6 or 7 games (not counting a bowl game win), there is no way Seth will be offered a better job with a "bigger program". I think when he starts pulling off 8 to 10 wins in a regular season, then it will be impossible to keep him around. Also, I think he is good enough to make that a reality. SL gives a damn. You can just feel it when you speak to him. He cares about the players, the program, and the school. I have no doubt that he looks at this job as a stepping stone, but he is not the kind of guy to not give this job all he has. 

Now, I am ready to pay my 7 bucks, hook my I Pad up to my TV, and watch UNT kick the shit out of USM. GO MEAN GREEN!

Before he gets hired away he has to prove he is a good recruiter. This is the only area that I have been disappointed. 

4 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Before he gets hired away he has to prove he is a good recruiter. This is the only area that I have been disappointed. 

Yep and as far as I can tell that goes hand in hand with winning 8 to 10 games in a regular season. That does not happen  if you can't play the personal game. 

'

• Upvote 1