UNT System selects sole finalist for Chancellor

Cerebus

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Not sure what you mean.

She is the acting deputy Administrator reporting to the acting Administrator at NASA. 

In other words, the top positions are being filled and more than likely she is moving on before that is going to happen.  Not a negative, but she not leaving the top job at NASA to be NT chancellor.  

I meant she will be the BOSS here at UNT.....everybody will have to kiss up to her....not the other way around...  I should be more clear....I get lazy at times....

It looks like the BOR wanted someone that is an experienced administrator with experience in working with other agencies both commercial and in government. It's interesting that they chose someone from outside of the area. I wish her the very best. 

• Lovely Take 2

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

NASA is in DC. 

Right that is the Johnson Space Center but most in Houston call it NASA.

On another note, I think that the head of NASA who she reports to is a political position that changes with Presidents which may explain why she came open for the job.  

I am not sure how I feel about this and she will definitely be an outsider for state politics. Seems like a weird jump, so is this one of those UNT hires where we need to drink the koolaid, cross our fingers and hope for the best?  I mean the last Chancellor was great hire, I mean not. 

Perhaps her contacts within NASA will help the university gain far greater research opportunities for the faculty and students. North Texas is trying to further develop and improve its research programs, maybe they had that in mind with this hire. Purely speculative on my part. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

This is about UNT becoming a research focused institution; a good thing in my opinion.  It's already getting the attention of folks in Dallas who aren't directly connected to UNT, but want us to become first rate.  They all knew Lee was not going to get us to the next level and want to see someone who can.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This was not the ideal candidate... at all.
Experience with NASA?
I suppose we'll wait & see.

What would the ideal candidate look like to you?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, eulessismore said:

This is about UNT becoming a research focused institution; a good thing in my opinion.  It's already getting the attention of folks in Dallas who aren't directly connected to UNT, but want us to become first rate.  They all knew Lee was not going to get us to the next level and want to see someone who can.

And I'm all for this IF this is the long-term identity that UNT seeks.  I still think there's internal debate as to whether UNT continues to be the everyman's regional school where you can go get a solid education and become a good, upstanding member of working society vs. becoming something that students aspire to attend because the research opportunities are really up there.  
As my kid begins the TAMS program next week, we are already in the process of deciding where she goes after that.  Other schools in active conversation right now are Rice, Princeton, Columbia, and Cal Tech.  Each offers something that UNT doesn't, but also comes with a potential financial burden that I may not be able to shoulder, depending on other variables.

For whatever anybody feels about Ernie, he's taken some pretty giant steps in recent times to make UNT an attractive option for graduating TAMS students to remain in Denton.  The financial burden would be lifted for me, and there are potentially some really solid undergraduate research opportunities for my daughter to pursue that she might not have access to as just another face in the crowd at other schools.

Sorry to make this about me, but all of these developments are affecting me personally right now.  I'm hoping for a positive outcome.  It wouldn't suck at all for my daughter and I to share the same alma mater. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Someone with experience in Education at a very high level... like a sitting Chancellor at another system, or a former or vice-Chancellor.
I'll take the wait-and-see approach here.

That's it? Pretty wide open list.  I am thinking maybe the qualification list was a tad longer!

😂😂

We lucked out with our latest Prez search, I am just hoping this selection turns out the same, and like you, am willing to hold judgement until we see how it works out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Someone with experience in Education at a very high level... like a sitting Chancellor at another system, or a former or vice-Chancellor.
I'll take the wait-and-see approach here.

Very few schools go that way.  UH system is the only one in Texas with a career academic at the helm.   

• Upvote 1

According to this source, UNT Physics isn't so shabby after all.

Notice I only placed the rank within the state of Texas because I have completely given up on convincing Texans to stop bashing their own schools compared to other Texas schools. This website also ranks UNT Physics in the top 15% nationally which is the true measure.

Cal. Berkeley is ranked #1 (USA) and a well deserved ranking.

UNT Physics #5 in Texas

Edited by GreenEggs&Ham™
  • Upvote 2