Donald Trump Jr. To Be Part Of Kuehne Series

Interesting speaker choice given UNT's liberal reputation. They were smart enough to move it off of main campus though, otherwise pretty much everyone living on campus or within a 10 mile radius would come and protest at it. Personally I don't like that my tuition & fees go to speaking fees for very divisive public figures, let alone the "Other Sides" guy's son. But, this decision has been made. What do all of you think?

Edited by AustinFromUNT
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 4

32 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Interesting speaker choice given UNT's liberal reputation. They were smart enough to move it off of main campus though, otherwise pretty much everyone living on campus or within a 10 mile radius would come and protest at it. Personally I don't like that my tuition & fees go to speaking fees for very divisive public figures, let alone the "Other Sides" guy's son. But, this decision has been made. What do all of you think?

The "Other Sides?"

• Upvote 3

Yep, I get it.  I just find it odd that someone would dismiss a speaker without hearing what they have to say.  I was not a fan of Bill Clinton but I had the opportunity to hear him speak just after he left office.  Although our politics didn't necessarily align, I enjoyed his speech and listened without causing a scene. 

I expect the protesters to be out in force.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 4

9 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'm guessing Austin means other side as in DTJ is a Rep and he is a Dem

The "Other sides" comment should have been "many sides" or "both sides" my bad. It was in reference to what  happened in Charlottesville.

21 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Sh

Should have held it on campus.. some students need to learn to be open and stop being such damn snowflakes that they think they should protest everything they don't agree with.. 

Protesting is one of the most American things a person can do. I didn't downvote you btw. I don't downvote opposing views. I'm all for having a rational conversation about what the best mode of action is, but that requires listening and reasoning on both sides.

• Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

Whether you love the guy or hate the guy, everyone should know that anything related to the Trump canpaign is going to bring negative attention in the current media climate. Doesn't seem like a smart move in my eyes. Having Ted Cruz or similar would've been safer if you needed an R there.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

What is he going to speak about? How to turn the White House into a family business? How you too can be successful with a fat inheritance? 

I'm all for hearing both sides, but the UNT Speaker Series could've had someone way more interesting/inspiring/not under a US federal investigation. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 7

3 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

The "Other sides" comment should have been "many sides" or "both sides" my bad. It was in reference to what  happened in Charlottesville.

Protesting is one of the most American things a person can do. I didn't downvote you btw. I don't downvote opposing views. I'm all for having a rational conversation about what the best mode of action is, but that requires listening and reasoning on both sides.

I agree its a right of everyone, but the ability to have an actual convo and use common sense is lacking on both sides.. the labeling of people is also not something that helps either

7 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

What is he going to speak about? How to turn the White House into a family business? How you too can be successful with a fat inheritance? 

I'm all for hearing both sides, but the UNT Speaker Series could've had someone way more interesting/inspiring/not under a US federal investigation. 

LIkely going to compare how the UNT fans view the AD Office and coaching staffs like his father...

Anything that they do is not either fast enough, makes any sense, or we just down right wanna bash them... 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I think it's really important to distinguish some key points here:

• The Keuhne Speaker Series is not in any way related to the UNT  Lecture Series, and is not funded by student fees in any way.
  • Ernie donated the funds himself to start it and subsequent donations and event sponsorships have kept it afloat.
  • The whole series is essentially a Who's Who in America list for Conservative-only speakers.

All that said, I've never understood the point of the Series. No scholarships are generated. No academic or athletic units funded. This whole thing seemingly comes across as a way for Ernie and Brint Ryan to have their own fun Conservative fundraising club that benefits... (?) I literally see no benefit to the University in any capacity.

And then this announcement is just so tone deaf to be comical.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 4

6 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

• The Keuhne Speaker Series is not in any way related to the UNT  Lecture Series, and is not funded by student fees in any way.
  • Ernie donated the funds himself to start it and subsequent donations and event sponsorships have kept it afloat.
  • The whole series is essentially a Who's Who in America list for Conservative-only speakers.

All that said, I've never understood the point of the Series. No scholarships are generated. No academic or athletic units funded. This whole thing seemingly comes across as a way for Ernie and Brint Ryan to have their own fun Conservative fundraising club that benefits... (?) I literally see no benefit to the University in any capacity.

It may not be any way related to the UNT lecture series, but it's literally on the UNT website. It's a bad look to a university that constantly struggles with positive attention.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Thank you for the explanation

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Green P1 said:

What does anyone legitimately want to listen to the silver spoon discuss?  

A successful silver spoon. Listen and find out. You may learn something.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

I respect being rich enough to troll a large group of people, but if Ernie wants to showcase someone without many individual accomplishments that is comfortable loudly taking credit for the work of others, why not just invite his pal RV?

17 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

This is an honest question - what has he done that he can speak to? What is he good at that even his siblings aren't better at? Is he the sassy one? The savvier investor?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 2

38 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

The only people who could learn something from Trump Jr are those in the audience that are firstborn to multi-millionaires.   He has no legs to stand on when speaking to "hard work", or "pulling yourself up from your bootstraps".

Sounds more like a solid speaker for a SMU lecture series.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

13 hours ago, meangreenacct said:

I'm all for having a diversity in terms of views, backgrounds, life experiences of speakers in events associated with UNT. For the life of me though, what has Trump Junior done to even remotely be worthwhile to have a place in a speaker series?

This.  He just doesn't create much interest.