South Alabama and North Texas to Play Series in 2024/2025

UNTFan23

Just now, AustinFromUNT said:

We'll get to play Alabama teams twice a year then. That's fine by me.

Hopefully the schedule will be such where it will be home/away against the two teams for those two years.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

I'm not a big fan of this. There's just not much name recognition with such an opponent. If we're looking for that level of competition in an opponent, I'd rather prefer Texas State. Yeah, another Texas team, but who would you rather watch us play against?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, DeepGreen said:

We should at least be scheduling games against AAC teams.  Now South Alabama.  And don't forget those marquee matchups against Incarnate Word and Liberty.

We have Houston and Memphis on the schedule.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

We should at least be scheduling games against AAC teams.  Now South Alabama.  And don't forget those marquee matchups against Incarnate Word and Liberty.

Agree. Love that we have Houston, SMU and Memphis, but I'd really like to see if we can establish multi game series with Tulane and Tulsa as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

south Alabama H/H!

So, this pretty much means that in 2023 & 2024 that we are going to have 5 home games or we are planning to eliminate the road P5 payday game.  I guess we will find out when we schedule our next 2023 or 2024 game.  Seems like if our plans are to eliminate the road P5 game (not sure if we are), we would announce to the world that we are stepping up our game and looking for H/H series only.  We could get some mileage out of an announcement like that in terms of commitment to high level football and would place a lot of pressure on our conference mates.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TreeFiddy said:

south Alabama H/H!

So, this pretty much means that in 2023 & 2024 that we are going to have 5 home games or we are planning to eliminate the road P5 payday game.  I guess we will find out when we schedule our next 2023 or 2024 game.  Seems like if our plans are to eliminate the road P5 game (not sure if we are), we would announce to the world that we are stepping up our game and looking for H/H series only.  We could get some mileage out of an announcement like that in terms of commitment to high level football and would place a lot of pressure on our conference mates.  

We only have three OOC games scheduled for those years so there is still a good chance we get a second home game for each year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

south Alabama H/H!

Maybe they're looking for a H/H with a couple of P5's, a la Texas Tech? 

3 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

south Alabama H/H!

As of now, this is a roll of the dice, because we cannot make enough money with our crowd sizes to make up the difference in the budget that the paycheck games provide. 

If this is the case though, I do like Wren's confidence that he will be able to overcome that gap within 5 years.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Agree. Love that we have Houston, SMU and Memphis, but I'd really like to see if we can establish multi game series with Tulane and Tulsa as well.

You beat me to it.  I'd like to see the addition of Tulane and Tulsa to our OOC schedules.  And teams from the MWC and MAC.

Context

2024:

• at USA
  • SMU
  • at Texas Tech

I'm withholding judgement on this one until I see what the second OOC home game is.

If we're bringing in another mid major (not FCS), then I'm cool with this move. It's not at an FCS and it's not at Alabama.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 2

I would have preferred Tulsa, Tulane, LaLa, AState, Texas St, etc. over this. This isn't a very good series. There are minimal pros to this outside of it being a winnable game. Maybe because we have so many starters or contributors on the roster from Alabama...All the programs I listed would be far less expensive to travel a team and staff to and far more fan friendly. This isn't Liberty dumb, but it's still dumb. 

Oh and of course, we're yet again the back half home game. 

Also...This may set up a 5-game home schedule for 2024...And it most certainly will if the financial ship hasn't started to turn yet. Just, dumb. 

Solid C-. F- if we have a pay day game that year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1