South Alabama and North Texas to Play Series in 2024/2025

UNTFan23

I was never as critical of RV's scheduling as most. I always thought that long series with SMU and Army were good things and in hindsight I think maybe more see that.  

I have also not seen the away high guarantee game as an issue.   Players want to be tested by the big name P5 schools and enjoy an atmosphere that NT and most other teams just can't generate at home.  As far as finances, that one game makes more for the program than the rest of the season combined.   Add in that game also provides more national exposure than any other likely game.   

The guarantee game does create an unbalanced schedule.   Ether NT must buy their own version of a guarantee game to get a lower level team in here or have alternating seasons of 5 and 6 home games.  I prefer the 5 home game schedules every other year to playing a lower division team.   

Nether Baker or any other AD is going to schedule to most satisfaction.  Do you think Alabama fans for example relish paying $50 to see Alabama play NT?   Only players and coaches  really want those type of home games.   

I do think Baker is showing some inexperience in scheduling, but he like RV does not have an easy job trying to balance finances, coaches desires and impossible to totally satisfy fans preferences.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

As far as finances, that one game makes more for the program than the rest of the season combined.

On a pure basis of numbers, I don't know if that's as true today as it was twenty years ago.  Going rate that UNT has been commanding is just under a million for that game.  

I'm not sure of the year, but I think this is from 2015.   It shows total revenue of $33,278,988.  

A million dollar body bag game makes up about 3% of that.  Granted, that revenue number is across ALL athletics, but let's be honest, it's mostly football.

So Baker gets a pass for USA on top of Liberty ? R.V. would have gotten his ass ripped for scheduling such as this. I have no problem scheduling regional SBC programs such as Texas State,A-State, or ULL, who might bring a few fans. But USA? How about Georgia State or La.Monroe?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, wardly said:

So Baker gets a pass for USA on top of Liberty ? R.V. would have gotten his ass ripped for scheduling such as this. I have no problem scheduling regional SBC programs such as Texas State,A-State, or ULL, who might bring a few fans. But USA? How about Georgia State or La.Monroe?

I think the reason he's getting "a pass" is because he's also getting home/homes with Houston, Memphis & TX Tech, and these are seen as good matchups.  He also does not appear to be entering into any other 'paycheck' agreements, which is promising.   

There was a lot of backlash against cancelling Army games and adding Liberty.   There also seems to be a lot of apathy bordering on displeasure about this series as well.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

On a pure basis of numbers, I don't know if that's as true today as it was twenty years ago.  Going rate that UNT has been commanding is just under a million for that game.  

I'm not sure of the year, but I think this is from 2015.   It shows total revenue of $33,278,988.  

A million dollar body bag game makes up about 3% of that.  Granted, that revenue number is across ALL athletics, but let's be honest, it's mostly football.

No most of that revenue line is students fees and transfers from the university.  The number you quoted contains $985,736 in ticket revenue and that is for all sports.  Even if you assume that all that was football, it is still far less than what NT can earn for one "play for pay" game.  First any home and away series means that you have to look at the effect of both games not just one.   So you have the cost of an away plus all expenses associated with a home game. 

Edited by GrandGreen

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I prefer the 5 home game schedules every other year to playing a lower division team.   

I believe you are in a tiny minority.  I would much rather play Lamar or Incarnate Word instead of just not having another home game.  

Of course, I would also much rather prefer bringing in another G5 vs an FCS, but FCS vs no home game?  Not even a close decision.  

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I believe you are in a tiny minority.  I would much rather play Lamar or Incarnate Word instead of just not having another home game.  

Of course, I would also much rather prefer bringing in another G5 vs an FCS, but FCS vs no home game?  Not even a close decision.  

Remember NT is potentially giving up a nice home game every two years also by scheduling a FCS team.  It comes down to whether which you prefer to have: an home game every year versus a ACU, Texas Southern etc. team or every two years get to watch for example a Tulsa, Tulane, ULL, etc. matchup.   I prefer the later and believe there are a lot more like me than you think. 

Edited by GrandGreen

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think the reason he's getting "a pass" is because he's also getting home/homes with Houston, Memphis & TX Tech, and these are seen as good matchups.  He also does not appear to be entering into any other 'paycheck' agreements, which is promising.   

There was a lot of backlash against cancelling Army games and adding Liberty.   There also seems to be a lot of apathy bordering on displeasure about this series as well.

Memphis was scheduled in April of 2016, so that would have been under RV.

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Remember NT is potentially giving up a nice home game every two years also by scheduling a FCS team.  It comes down to whether watch you prefer to have an home game every year versus a ACU, Texas Southern etc. team or every two years get to watch for example a Tulsa, Tulane, ULL, etc. matchup.   I prefer the later and believe there are a lot more like me than you think. 

I would go with the Tulsa, Tulane, ULL model, just schedule them on off years.

South Alabama doesn't bother me though.

This is the way back machine,but schools used to schedule OOC games based upon one you should win,one you could win, and one in which all the stars would need to align for you to win.For UNT, this would be a 1AA opponent, a Group of 5 opponent, and a road/money game. I am still ok with this formula, but that's just the opinion of an old man.

• Lovely Take 1

I am fine with this if it means the end of the body bag game. Maybe now it is 4 independent home and home series? One P5, a couple high-medium G5, and a lower level G5? I would be ok with that. 

Edited by 97and03