South Alabama and North Texas to Play Series in 2024/2025

UNTFan23

As long as aren't playing another FCS team those seasons, I'm fine with it. Its a winnable FBS game. I'd have MUCH preferred a series with Texas State, which makes the most sense of all the SBC teams we could schedule, but this isn't terrible...unless we are playing Tarleton State and Midwestern State or someone like that.

1 hour ago, dmaxel said:

I'm not a big fan of this. There's just not much name recognition with such an opponent. If we're looking for that level of competition in an opponent, I'd rather prefer Texas State. Yeah, another Texas team, but who would you rather watch us play against?

Agreed it would be nice,  I think it would have a good showing and it much cheaper when it comes to travel (I would think)

Just now, Cerebus said:

If I am not mistaken this is the first time one of the four teams to make the SBC->CUSA jump (NT, MTSU, FIU or FAU ) have scheduled to play one of the former SBC teams in regular season.  

I think the divorce between the four departing schools and the old membership wasn't the best and there were some hard feelings. Perhaps some schools have gotten over it and are starting to schedule now former Sun Belt members?

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

OOC schedule is full until 2022. Scheduling teams that far out is the "new normal" for college football.

I'm aware. But I still think it's crazy. So much could change in this time. They could be in the same "mega-conference". UNT Athletics may take off and want to try to get rid of this series once it finally rolls around.

2 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I'm aware. But I still think it's crazy. So much could change in this time. They could be in the same "mega-conference". UNT Athletics may take off and want to try to get rid of this series once it finally rolls around.

So are you saying Wren is building a large excuse hedge around himself for any future scheduling issues that result in a 5-home-game schedule (re: RV & Tulsa)?

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So are you saying Wren is building a large excuse hedge around himself for any future scheduling issues that result in a 5-home-game schedule (re: RV & Tulsa)?

No, and I have nothing against Wren. I think he's done a fantastic job so far. I was speaking on more of a general basis that it's crazy that most of the NCAA schedules games even 10 years in advance.

Is this really where our athletic department expects us to be in 7 years? Playing home and home series with South Alabama. If so, then I better start preparing for more disappointment.

I'm happy with the Texas Tech series even though I will be over 50 by the time they play it in Apogee. The Houston series is a good move. I've been told the Liberty series was necessary in order to create better opportunities in our scheduling, but I don't view the South Alabama series as a better opportunity. If we were bringing USA in for a season opener and there was no return game, then fine. But I don't believe giving USA a home and home is improving our schedule. This looks like a series RV would have signed.

Some people on this board complain because we are in the dark on so many things around the athletic department. I'm starting to agree. I can't defend this series when I talk with others, and I can't see how we can use it as a selling point with recruits. In my opinion, it just isn't the kind of series that elevates our program.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

Is this really where our athletic department expects us to be in 7 years? Playing home and home series with South Alabama. If so, then I better start preparing for more disappointment.

I'm happy with the Texas Tech series even though I will be over 50 by the time they play it in Apogee. The Houston series is a good move. I've been told the Liberty series was necessary in order to create better opportunities in our scheduling, but I don't view the South Alabama series as a better opportunity. If we were bringing USA in for a season opener and there was no return game, then fine. But I don't believe giving USA a home and home is improving our schedule. This looks like a series RV would have signed.

Some people on this board complain because we are in the dark on so many things around the athletic department. I'm starting to agree. I can't defend this series when I talk with others, and I can't see how we can use it as a selling point with recruits. In my opinion, it just isn't the kind of series that elevates our program.

I've still got worries that Tech will never play here in 2027--that they will either be in the top level of Power League Football that doesn't play us anymore (since this will be after the Big XII dies off in 2025) or they will just buy out the game.

I think what this series--and the ones that Baker has scheduled for us besides Tech--is that these OOC games against teams like USA and Liberty will be the type of teams that we are going to be on the same level with after that Big XII implosion by 2025. I think that the Big 12 Haves will find spots in the other power conferences (UT, OU, OSU, Tech, KU, KSU, and WVU) and the others (TCU, Baylor, and ISU) will be left behind in a conference setup with the AAC and MWC schools. Those AAC/MWC schools will keep the bowl spot against the power conferences and will be allowed to play them in OOC games, but the MAC, SBC, and CUSA are going to be "dropped" down to a level that the bigger FCS schools will also play at, like Sam Houston, SFA, NDSU, Montana, Eastern Washington, etc...

I think the future schedules sort of show this. Our last bodybag game on the schedule is at MIzzou in 2021, with the first game of the Tech series being in Lubbock in 2024. I mean, that tells me something, when we can schedule games with USA for 2024 and 2025, but have no bodybag game scheduled yet beyond 2021. Now, I'm sure that Wren can get those bodybag games scheduled for 2022 and 2023, but I also bet that the Big XII's looming demise has something to do with this, when we always had those games scheduled out for years ahead. Tech could easily be a bodybag game in 2024 with a buyout of the game in Denton. Now, a spot in the AAC/MWC could change all of this, but SMU ain't letting us in the AAC even if we didn't share a TV market, and the fans here have made it abundantly clear that they don't want to go out West to the MWC, which may not have any interest in us anyway, seeing how UTEP, Rice, and UTSA are the CUSA teams we would be contending with for a spot out west. If the MWC got TCU and Baylor, for example, they would have this area covered anyways, so its kind of a moot point on the MWC thing--we don't want them and we know that they have a lot of Texas choices that probably would take their offer before we even got one.

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

So much this. You dress for the job you want, not for the job you have. If our job in 7 years is going to be satisfying the likes of South Alabama, then it makes me question the vision WB has for this program and wth he's doing with the schedule. 

It's not appealing, internally or externally, therefore it's a no brainer bad decision. 

Neverthless, people will defend this. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

43 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

So much this. You dress for the job you want, not for the job you have. If our job in 7 years is going to be satisfying the likes of South Alabama, then it makes me question the vision WB has for this program and wth he's doing with the schedule. 

It's not appealing, internally or externally, therefore it's a no brainer bad decision. 

Neverthless, people will defend this. 

tenor.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's OK.  

We'll schedule TXSt for a home/home when we move to the MWC someday, leaving Rice and UTSA and/or UTEP behind.  We're going to need that in-state series.

I would be totally opposed.  Trading 3 Texas teams for one? Not worth this mythical MWC media uplift some of y'all dream about.  It doesn't exist on this side of the planet timezone.

• Downvote 3

This thread once again proves that scheduling is a no win proposition for the AD. No matter who is scheduled, a significant number will hate it. It appears we shouldn't play strong P5 teams as those are "bodybag" games. We shouldn't play FCS teams as no one cares and we might lose, even though the majority of FBS teams DO open with FCS teams and treat the game as a scrimmage.  We should be scheduling only home and home series with G5 teams, but only the "right" G5 teams. Regardless of which ones are scheduled, those are never "right" for more a a small percentage. 

I don't feel like searching for the wrinkled hundred dollar bill picture, but that is what a lot of the complaining feels like. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

So, I feel pretty even keel about this. When scheduling winnable FBS teams to home and homes, I guess we could get it a bit better, but it is not overall a horrible move. Its value really also depends on where UNT will be both success and finances wise by then.

That said, that game with Liberty being an even contract keeps looking worse and worse. WB totally got pulled over the table in that negotiation or whatever it was. Very concerning. If one really feels like UNT has to play Liberty, then Wren simply left half a million on the table there. Marshall just signed a home and home with Liberty. The difference being that Liberty pays them 500 K when MU goes there and will pay nothing when Liberty visits them.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

USA has a 43-35 all time record, played in a bowl game in 2014 & 2016. They're playing a home game against Okie State this year. They aren't a blow over team. Yes they play in the belt, but they are on the better end of belt teams imo. So yes, I would rather play a medium belt team than a terrible in-state team.

All relevant points but this series is scheduled for 2024 and 2025. Is this the reason why they cancelled the Army series? Time will tell I guess but at least the Army series had national recognition. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

All relevant points but this series is scheduled for 2024 and 2025. Is this the reason why they cancelled the Army series? Time will tell I guess but at least the Army series had national recognition. 

One of the (dropped) Army games opened the door for the Houston series.

• Thanks 1