Improving The Game Day Experience

AustinFromUNT

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I hear people singing the song and swaying back & forth all around me once they start it up... if the game is going well.

And this has nothing to do with the game.  Play it after the game.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

And this has nothing to do with the game.  Play it after the game.

They play it after the 3rd quarter when everyone is getting up to get their last drink/hot dog/bathroom break.   Not like they play it at the 2:00 mark in the 4th quarter or something.
I agree, it's not firing up the crowd, but it's harmless fun.

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

And it is played between innings not during live action.

Not finding it listed here:

http://www.meangreensports.com/trads/fballtraditions.html

You're mis-remembering when the song is played.  It's not played during live action.   I think the Sweet Caroline reference is spot on.   It's just a fun song having nothing to do with the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Getting old sucks.  Either way, every time I hear it I wonder what this has to do with the game.

So we only play the Fight Song, Alma Mater, and Fly Like An Eagle. Those are the only songs that actually have something to do with the game. Any others are unrelated and should not be played. Just want to be clear on what you are asking for.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

So we only play the Fight Song, Alma Mater, and Fly Like An Eagle. Those are the only songs that actually have something to do with the game. Any others are unrelated and should not be played. Just want to be clear on what you are asking for.

Not at all, but play songs that bring energy to the game.  I am not good with the names of songs bands play, so asking for a specific title would be lost on me, but anything that pumps up the crowd.

• Upvote 2

This song is played at half the stadiums in College Football at around the same time.....what is wrong with everybody hating everything.....  It gets people up, swaying and singing a song....  Be specific in what song you would like to hear in its place.  Send that to the band director and see if it catches on....  I swear if we ever make the NC game, and it is played in L.A. people will bitch because its in L.A.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

you know, if the GB is so fond of playing songs from the classic rock and roll days, I could suggest a few.

When we make a couple of good defensive plays......."No Where to run",,,,

When we have a turn over (fumble, int.) and the defense comes out on the field......Rescue me........https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Rescue+me%2c+fontella+bass%2c+youtube&view=detail&mid=FCF758D910E47EF07D5AFCF758D910E47EF07D5A&FORM=VIRE

Instead of that overwrought "you'll never walk alone".....how about a little "ruby and the romantics" ........

4 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

you know, if the GB is so fond of playing songs from the classic rock and roll days, I could suggest a few.

When we make a couple of good defensive plays......."No Where to run",,,,

When we have a turn over (fumble, int.) and the defense comes out on the field......Rescue me........https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Rescue+me%2c+fontella+bass%2c+youtube&view=detail&mid=FCF758D910E47EF07D5AFCF758D910E47EF07D5A&FORM=VIRE

Instead of that overwrought "you'll never walk alone".....how about a little "ruby and the romantics" ........

Great suggestions!

Well, except for the tradition of playing You'll Never Walk Alone, which is played something like 10-15 minutes AFTER THE GAME IS OVER.
Do you happen to know the history behind the GB playing that song?  I assume if you did, you would redact your statement.

42 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

This song is played at half the stadiums in College Football at around the same time.....what is wrong with everybody hating everything.....  It gets people up, swaying and singing a song....  Be specific in what song you would like to hear in its place.  Send that to the band director and see if it catches on....  I swear if we ever make the NC game, and it is played in L.A. people will bitch because its in L.A.

It is?  I have only ever heard it played at our home games.

35 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Well, except for the tradition of playing You'll Never Walk Alone, which is played something like 10-15 minutes AFTER THE GAME IS OVER.
Do you happen to know the history behind the GB playing that song?  I assume if you did, you would redact your statement.

I don't know the history and am interested.  What's the  story?

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Stop playing it?   Or stop playing it only "if NT is trailing"?

What if we're down by one point, but our offense has the ball 1st & goal at the 1 yd line and is about to punch it in to start the 4th quarter?

This is dumb.    

The Green Brigade should be able to play whatever songs they want whenever they want, unless it affects the game on the field.

Probably not a popular opinion and I'm not saying eliminate it completely but I would really really be in favor of the band constantly playing fly like an eagle over and over and over and over again that that too including basketball games.  Just my opinion tho.

6 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

If ever there was a time to bring back the Pizza Inn Nazi, his moment is probably now. 

PIN stock will (hopefully?) never be higher. 

With the Denton location becoming a bastion of employee indifference that is Cafe Brazil, and the Lewisville location becoming an abandoned building that somebody hopes to God they can lease out some day, there are only two remaining locations in DFW to encounter the Pizza Inn Nazi -- Mesquite and Old East Dallas.

So unless you're Lee Jackson and hoping to all things holy that you can get your wet dream of UNT East Dallas up and running, the Pizza Inn Nazi is long since dead to me.  

I offer him no Pizza Inn Nazi salute, and I bid him adieu. 

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Army game day! All present and past service men and women wear their uniforms Friday to school and be acknowleged. Game day wear uniforms and get into the wing seating free. Acknowledge during game. After game have a patriotic concert by one of our outstanding band from the music department. After one of the other games hire KOOL and the Gang! GMG

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

Army game day! All present and past service men and women wear their uniforms Friday to school and be acknowleged. Game day wear uniforms and get into the wing seating free. Acknowledge during game. After game have a patriotic concert by one of our outstanding band from the music department. After one of the other games hire KOOL and the Gang! GMG

Gameday for Army will be fun... UNT has some stuff coming up from Fort Hood for the game..

Army has 3 different organizations as well that are saying they will bring fans.. 1 group is thinking they will have around 900 people alone that will be at the game, but that number even a few weeks ago was over 1k, so not sure what they will actually bring but the reps for Army are making it sound like it will be a solid turnout from them... 

--------------------------------------

Also, no idea if anyone is aware of it.. But UNT has a concessions twitter (not sure if anyone cares) but they have posted different things that will be having this year and info like popcorn cups can be refilled etc.. 

As a student (and music major), it's hard to get hype with the band. The band should be in the wing zone so acoustics are better and can be enjoyed by all. I'm also from where Penn State is and another thing that would always hype the student section up is better audio selections on third down and such.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Kyle Shafer said:

As a student (and music major), it's hard to get hype with the band. The band should be in the wing zone so acoustics are better and can be enjoyed by all. I'm also from where Penn State is and another thing that would always hype the student section up is better audio selections on third down and such.

As I recall, the band is positioned strategically to distract and drown out the visitors bench.  I believe year 1 at Apogee they sat right on the 50 until CUSA made a rule that bands couldn't sit there any longer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did you see all the fans leave as soon as the band started playing Hey Baby? Proof that nobody likes that song other than the band. Sad.

Joking aside, no CSC yellow shirts were to be found checking tickets last night, best fan-friendly improvement yet! Hope they stay away all season.

PA guy still sucks.

Liked the fire as the team ran out, even though it was a little late and the team ran out before the intro video finished.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1