Harry

http://lamarcardinals.com/news/2017/8/14/football-a-look-at-the-2017-cardinals-qbs.aspx

A little hard to swallow, but Lamar brings higher recruited talent to the QB position than we do at this particular time.  Looks like they picked up an SMU transfer that can throw deep:

Another dual-threat option, Colbert comes to the Golden Triangle from SMU. He was a three-star recruit coming out of Houston's Lamar High School. Rated as the No. 32 quarterback in the nation as a senior, Colbert played in 12 games over the course of his two seasons in Dallas.

"Darrell brings a lot of skills to the football field," said Allen. "He has big time speed, and is hard to tackle. You also can't overlook the guy's arm either. He has a very good deep ball."

I never thought Lamar would be a pushover.  They recruit in some pretty fertile areas of SE Texas and SW Louisiana.  The Greater Houston area alone is full of top quality FBS players at all levels.  So no, don't take Lamar lightly.

Oh, and they also have a 3rd round selection from the 2017 NFL draft playing for the Broncos right now.

http://lamarcardinals.com/news/2017/8/11/football-former-cardinal-plays-in-broncos-exhibition.aspx

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1

If we win out, it will take 25 years for us to tie the SMwho series.  Interesting to note that 18 of those wins came prior to WWII and North Texas has a better statistical chance of winning when we play in Denton. 

Here's to 2-0 after our visit to Ford Field.

GO MEAN GREEN 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Seems they've gotten quite a few FBS transfers. I' not confident enough in this offense yet to feel comfortable with a win

If you look closely, the SMU transfer (we're concerned about a transfer from SMU???) isn't even going to play.  Their QB will be a dude who transferred from NMSU, which may as well be another FCS school.
They got that kid from WOS who tore up the 3A playoffs over the past 2 yrs though.  Good for him.  I wondered if anyone was going to give him a chance.

Then, they got A&M's 4th-string RB.   It would be a little different if Trayveon Williams transferred there.

• Lovely Take 1

21 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If you look closely, the SMU transfer (we're concerned about a transfer from SMU???) isn't even going to play.  Their QB will be a dude who transferred from NMSU, which may as well be another FCS school.
They got that kid from WOS who tore up the 3A playoffs over the past 2 yrs though.  Good for him.  I wondered if anyone was going to give him a chance.

Then, they got A&M's 4th-string RB.   It would be a little different if Trayveon Williams transferred there.

I feel a lot better about our defense stopping them than I do our offense scoring points.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Why not?  I didn't see anything in the article.

Because he was a throw-in at the end of the paragraph about QBs, and the picture at the top of the page is of Allen (who started a bunch of games for them last year) about to take a snap.   I wouldn't expect a SMU transfer dude who showed up just before the start of Fall camp to wrestle the starting job away, unless it was Ben Hicks.

Although injuries will always be something left to the football gods, the coaching staff has taken steps to prevent a similar scenario from happening in 2017. In addition to returning veterans senior Andrew Allen, senior Blake McKenzie and sophomore Adam Morse, the coaching staff also signed West Orange standout Jack Dallas on National Signing Day, and added SMU transfer Darrell Colbert just before the start of preseason camp.

• Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Because he was a throw-in at the end of the paragraph about QBs, and the picture at the top of the page is of Allen (who started a bunch of games for them last year) about to take a snap.   I wouldn't expect a SMU transfer dude who showed up just before the start of Fall camp to wrestle the starting job away, unless it was Ben Hicks.

Well, he probably won't play.  But he has pretty solid credentials for an FCS QB, and FBS playing experience to go with it.  If he doesn't play, it says something positive about their other QBs.

That said, it's hard for any QB to be elite on his back.

• Lovely Take 1

This guy was my LB last year and can flat out ball! He signed with Lamar and is running with their 2s in fall camp.  He may push for PT. I'll be torn but I told him I hope we wear his ___ out! Lol 😂 he said coach I got you!!! He's a great kid and I'm glad he's getting school paid for. 

Josh Jinning 

https://www.hudl.com/profile/2846807/josh-jinning

IMG_0334.PNG

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

This guy was my LB last year and can flat out ball! He signed with Lamar and is running with their 2s in fall camp.  He may push for PT. I'll be torn but I told him I hope we wear his ___ out! Lol 😂 he said coach I got you!!! He's a great kid and I'm glad he's getting school paid for. 

Josh Jinning 

https://www.hudl.com/profile/2846807/josh-jinning

IMG_0334.PNG

Keep pumping out quality D players and we may just have to put you on staff here haha.

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Keep pumping out quality D players and we may just have to put you on staff here haha.

Ha. This kid was a LAAAAAATE bloomer, couldn't keep his eyes right. Tore his knee up his sophomore year, played DE junior year bc he wouldn't read his OL. I convinced my D.C. to give him another shot and worked primarily with him, got his eyes right and he went off as a SR, problem was it was too late even for UNT.  They liked his tape but had already taken the guys they wanted as LB.  Same for Dylan Spears who is at Trinity Valley JUCO.  I would love to be on staff. I'd take a HS relations gig any day. The HS wouldn't be able to keep me out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2

Yes Portland state will always be in the back of our minds,  I looked at the stats of their scrimmage and qb put up some good numbers.  However, they were sacked numbers times.  So hopefully their O-line will be dominated by your defense.  Always hard to tell what is gong when you are playing against yourselves.  That is the reason I can't get a read on our team.