Will Kiffin Be Gone After 1 Year?

13 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I thought it was pretty apparent that SL is using this as an opportunity to springboard to a better HC position? Plus it's not 1 million guaranteed, it's an incentive filled contract.  

There is no doubt, any coach who is worth a bucket of poo wants to move up to bigger and better schools/conferences etc.  I don't think it's fair to say he doesn't care about a job where he's getting paid very well, and he seems to put a lot of time and effort into changing our football teams culture to a winning one where we compete every rep. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Thanks 1

I am surprised Kiffin has 300 offers out. I wonder how serious those offers are. But I also wonder whether -given how he is reeling in all those high profile second (and third) chance transfers - he simply thinks he is better off not committing too many schollies early because he is gonna need the spots for transfers later. Also, I assume that he didn't have enough spots for all those transfers this season so he needs to put them on next seasons class.

11 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I thought it was pretty apparent that SL is using this as an opportunity to springboard to a better HC position? Plus it's not 1 million guaranteed, it's an incentive filled contract.  

What made you come to that conclusion?

• Confused 1

On 8/20/2017 at 0:25 PM, UNTLifer said:

What made you come to that conclusion?

Really?! So you think he's going to stay here if he has success and gets offered a Power 5 job? How did you come to the conclusion that he's not going to take that offer? 

Edited by Salsa_Verde

54 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Really?! So you think he's going to stay here if he has success and gets offered a Power 5 job? How did you come to the conclusion that he's not going to take that offer? 

I don't know.  The comment I was referring to alluded to the fact that SL had stated that we were a stepping stone, or at least that is how I took it.  I would just like to see where he stated that or where he made it "pretty apparent."

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't know.  The comment I was referring to alluded to the fact that SL had stated that we were a stepping stone, or at least that is how I took it.  I would just like to see where he stated that or where he made it "pretty apparent."

His bouncing around from place to place, making the most of his opportunities to move up, over the past 6 years makes it pretty apparent.

• Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2017 at 3:54 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

His bouncing around from place to place, making the most of his opportunities to move up, over the past 6 years makes it pretty apparent.

Yes but again those were in pursuit of him trying to get a HC gig...

UNT has alot going for it and if he plays it correctly.. he could be in line for something bigger.. Media market, alumni base, taken a team that was 1-11 before he got here to multiple bowls and etc would look great... also seeing the facilities as well improve, and attendance as well would bold well for him.. Also SL having a young family and being very close to home is an appeal for him as well I would think....

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Coaches want to coach at the biggest stage and try to play for P5 championships and national championships. I  think it's rather naïve to think and assume SL won't look to move on to a better job if he finds a reasonable amount of success here.  In a perfect world we'd love to find our Gary Patterson but that's just not reasonable.  TCU has very well compensated him, given him great facilities because he's won and won big.  Let's face it if SL is able to win at North Texas of all places don't think it won't go unnoticed.  I'll also add that if this does indeed happen then that's a damn good thing because that means he's probably planted some good seeds here and it'll be the AD's and schools jobs not to royally screw it up.

Yes if Kiffin is successful at FAU even for just 1 year then I expect him to get some inquiries for a better job with more pay.  I don't think many coaches strive to coach in the SBC, MAC, CUSA for the long haul if they're good.  I think another thing we forget is while Kiffin has been in the coaching scene for a really long time he's still really young at just 42 years old.  He has PLENTY ahead of him.

Edited by Green Mean
a
  • Upvote 1

On 8/22/2017 at 3:54 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Exactly. And isn't that what we really need as a program? Young coaches who are hungry and their upward career trajectory is directly tied to being successful while here. They do great, moveup the food chain, we replace...rinse, recycle and repeat until the program is consistently relevant. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

Exactly. And isn't that what we really need as a program? Young coaches who are hungry and their upward career trajectory is directly tied to being successful while here. They do great, moveup the food chain, we replace...rinse, recycle and repeat until the program is consistently relevant. 

Or, we find our Patterson, he succeeds here, likes it here, we let him play his guitar and "sing" at local watering holes and we move up the foodchain and become a top program.

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Or, we find our Patterson, he succeeds here, likes it here, we let him play his guitar and "sing" at local watering holes and we move up the foodchain and become a top program.

Sure, that'd be an ideal scenario, but what is the more likely outcome if Littrell is successful (or wildly successful) here?

Gary Patterson's situation at TCU is pretty unique in college football.

3 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

Sure, that'd be an ideal scenario, but what is the more likely outcome if Littrell is successful (or wildly successful) here?

Gary Patterson's situation at TCU is pretty unique in college football.

Oh, I agree 100%.  Then again, you never know.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Lane stated in an interview on the Dan Lebatard show that he doesn't understand coaches who leave before the final game of the season. He thinks it's wrong and unfair to the kids you coach. All the times he hasn't finished a season, he's been forced out. He said he had an offer to coach at a prominent school when he knew his time was up with oakland but they wanted him to leave before the end of the season, so he turned them down. A move for Kiffin is still possible, but it will be post-bowl.

The only jobs left are Oregon and SMU currently (well, LaLa and Kent Stae, but come one) and Oregon is expected to hire Mario Cristobal and just promote him from interim. So there's a good chance we welcome Lane to Denton next year.

• Lovely Take 1