DRC: Monday practice notes (Hall continues to shine)

Brett Vito

6 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

Good to see we have 3 quality corners.  seems like we'll have all 3 out there 90% of the time anyway, so who cares who's technically listed as a starter.

Preston is in that nickel spot it was last reported. So, not all 3 will be out there all the time. CB is a position that quality depth is very much needed, so they'll all three get playing time though. 

• Upvote 1

Wow.  Wasn't expecting this kind of performance out of Kemon Hall.    A pleasant surprise for sure.  If he's pushing Jenkins for his starting spot, then that is a VERY GOOD sign for the CB's as Jenkins is a good player.

-- O'Keeron Rutherford made a nice grab in goal line drills.

giphy.gif

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Thank God. He looked to be in pretty serious pain on Saturday

Took the words right out of my mouth. This is the best news considering he could make a huge impact on Offense this year.

Oh and This........................

"-- Chair backs were being installed at Apogee Stadium today in advance of the season. It's a sure sign kickoff is just weeks away. "

Hopefully they can hit at least at 90% accuracy 

Edited by Withers940
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

I didn't see you at the scrimmage or I would have come by and said hello.  Where did you sit?

I was usually within 10 or 20 yards from Vito on the lowest walkway. When the heat started getting to me I would duck into a portal that was lined up with the action and catch some shade and some precious breeze whilst watching the scrimmage. Even though it was overcast, it was miserable. No breeze at all.

• Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, Withers940 said:

Took the words right out of my mouth. This is the best news considering he could make a huge impact on Offense this year.

Oh and This........................

"-- Chair backs were being installed at Apogee Stadium today in advance of the season. It's a sure sign kickoff is just weeks away. "

Hopefully they can hit at least at 90% accuracy 

I hope they're power washing the pigeon poop off also. I was on the upper rows of sections 204 & 205 Saturday, it was disgusting!

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Preston is in that nickel spot it was last reported. So, not all 3 will be out there all the time. CB is a position that quality depth is very much needed, so they'll all three get playing time though. 

Eric Jenkins, Nate Brooks, Kemon Hall all 3 corners.  We really need one of the young guys to be able to play, I think closest to being ready is the kid we grabbed out of Ardmore, Ok. Jordan Roberts.  Gotta have 2 deep at that spot for fatigue purposes.  Especially if baby Briles is running the same offense from Baylor. 

12 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Eric Jenkins, Nate Brooks, Kemon Hall all 3 corners.  We really need one of the young guys to be able to play, I think closest to being ready is the kid we grabbed out of Ardmore, Ok. Jordan Roberts.  Gotta have 2 deep at that spot for fatigue purposes.  Especially if baby Briles is running the same offense from Baylor. 

It wouldn't surprise me if we went with a nickel that can cover at times this year instead of a run stopper.  Not saying Preston can't improve, but last season and even the seasons before, our secondary personel was based on who can help out in stopping the run and not attention on coverage.

I think we see a lot of different looks from Ref.  Lots of man coverage and blitzes.  I doubt we sit in the same defense over and over.  I still think we will give up big plays against the pass, but we will make a lot more big plays too.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

And Jenkins doesn't? 

Also I don't get the whole Jenks thing, the guy's name is Jenkins. Just saying

6 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

And Jenkins doesn't? 

Also I don't get the whole Jenks thing, the guy's name is Jenkins. Just saying

Jenkins is definitely physical too (idk about the nickname I've just seen everyone else cal him that so I thought I would too haha). Hall is the more physical player though. In the end it won't really matter because we'll likely have all 3 in at once or heavily rotate them. 

9 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Jenkins is definitely physical too (idk about the nickname I've just seen everyone else cal him that so I thought I would too haha). Hall is the more physical player though. In the end it won't really matter because we'll likely have all 3 in at once or heavily rotate them. 

I highly doubt this.   Maybe every once in a while... like 3rd-long or 4th-long.  But we need that 3rd Safety back (Preston, Baulkman, Davis) more on the early downs.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

This would shock me. 

I was shocked too because of how he performed last year, compared to Hall being a unknown in terms of what he can do in C-USA... The individual that said it was talking with hank, who was doing his 2-Deep depth chart.. They did not give a yes or no to who would be opposite nate because Jenkins was still in the area near by.. 

• Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I was shocked too because of how he performed last year, compared to Hall being a unknown in terms of what he can do in C-USA... The individual that said it was talking with hank, who was doing his 2-Deep depth chart.. They did not give a yes or no to who would be opposite nate because Jenkins was still in the area near by.. 

I'll take that with a grain of salt then.  Lol but good to see we're identifying guys who can be better than previous guys, I love competition. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2017 at 3:53 PM, GMG24 said:

This would shock me. 

I was thinking the same thing a week ago.  

On 8/21/2017 at 3:33 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

I think Hall may have passed Jenks, from what i heard being said around the building

I am hearing this too.  It might be tight on Jenks.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1