Current Class Rating

12 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I believe we have 12, they never tweeted about Martin and think he is a Blue-shirt/PWO

I'm under the same impression that Martin will blue-shirt. I, like many, don't particularly care about stars. Don't get me wrong, i'd love to have a lot of them, but I gravitate towards @BillySee58 system. I know there's been a lot of ire about single offer guys but our last couple: Gibbs, Kameron King, and Vada King have all been multi-offer kids B or B+ guys in Billy's system (Vada was highly recruited out of high school and at least had an Arky State offer from juco). I hope others view this as improvement so far. 

If we keep this up the class oculd round out pretty well. I do also think there is a difference in pre-senior year solo offers and end of season senior year solo offers. These aren't desperate offers to fill the class, they are guys the staff wants. Hopefully our coaching, evaluation and development continue to improve.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I believe we have 12, they never tweeted about Martin and think he is a Blue-shirt/PWO

1 hour ago, Caw Caw said:

I'm under the same impression that Martin will blue-shirt. I, like many, don't particularly care about stars. Don't get me wrong, i'd love to have a lot of them, but I gravitate towards @BillySee58 system. I know there's been a lot of ire about single offer guys but our last couple: Gibbs, Kameron King, and Vada King have all been multi-offer kids B or B+ guys in Billy's system (Vada was highly recruited out of high school and at least had an Arky State offer from juco). I hope others view this as improvement so far. 

If we keep this up the class oculd round out pretty well. I do also think there is a difference in pre-senior year solo offers and end of season senior year solo offers. These aren't desperate offers to fill the class, they are guys the staff wants. Hopefully our coaching, evaluation and development continue to improve.

Martin is a scholly not blue shirt

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

We have 13 recruits now so we're just over the halfway mark. Here is how this class is looking so far:

247:

Ranking: 97

2 3 star players: LeBlanc & King.

Rivals:

Ranking: 83

4 3 star players: King, Gibbs, Nixon, & Johnson.

Gibbs was upgraded to a 3 star today on 247 and is now our second highest rated recruit per 247 behind King

Edit UNTLifer beat me to it.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

Just goes to show the meaninglessness of splitting hairs between a 2-star and low 3-star ratings based on recruiting sites. You can literally just ask them to raise a rating and they will. I thought I saw someone else on here so that as well.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Big programs' fan bases have been doing that for years. Both on sub-sites and twitter. Also not saying Gibbs doesn't deserve the rating. But it certainly doesn't help credibility once you get past the P5 commits, and certainly past the top 250 or 300/whatever the top listing is.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Just goes to show the meaninglessness of splitting hairs between a 2-star and low 3-star ratings based on recruiting sites. You can literally just ask them to raise a rating and they will. I thought I saw someone else on here so that as well.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Big programs' fan bases have been doing that for years. Both on sub-sites and twitter. Also not saying Gibbs doesn't deserve the rating. But it certainly doesn't help credibility once you get past the P5 commits, and certainly past the top 250 or 300/whatever the top listing is.

Shows why using the metric of other offers makes more sense than actual rating. Especially in the realm of G5 recruiting. Gibbs was a huge win for us, as was Kameron King.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

17 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Screenshot_20170813-174456.png

He got upgraded 30 mins later 😂😂😂

This is a back handed comment. I don't care what anyone says. "A steal for North Texas. Kid is flying way under the radar." When I read stuff like that, I hear, "How/Why is this kid committing to North Texas and why doesn't he have more prominent offers than North Texas." 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Yep.

16 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is a back handed comment. I don't care what anyone says. "A steal for North Texas. Kid is flying way under the radar." When I read stuff like that, I hear, "How/Why is this kid committing to North Texas and why doesn't he have more prominent offers than North Texas." 

Agreed. Someone needs to SQUASH that comment from Roach

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2017 at 11:04 AM, Ben Gooding said:

I agree and it is something that our coaches have to recruit against as well. We have to get past this stigma but it has developed over many years and won't get fixed quickly.

Edited by Cr1028

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I agree and it is something that our coaches have to recruit against as well. We have to get past this stigma but it has developed over many years and won't get from fixed quickly.

It is somewhat disrespectful, but I don't think it's North Texas-specific.  There is a hierarchy of schools and a hierarchy of recruits.  I assume the person who made the comment thinks Gibbs can compete at the P5 level, and we are not at the P5 level.

• Upvote 1

On 8/14/2017 at 11:04 AM, Ben Gooding said:

Why?? It was a steal, beat out Illinois.  That's a STEAL.  Also Gibbs had multiple big12 schools sniffing, with a lot of interest and a few PAC whatever they are now.  This one was a steal no way around it. Especially a DFW kid.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

59 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Why?? It was a steal, beat out Illinois.  That's a STEAL.  Also Gibbs had multiple big12 schools sniffing, with a lot of interest and a few PAC whatever they are now.  This one was a steal no way around it. Especially a DFW kid.  

I think Ben's point is that it's disrespectful to think any kid we get that recruiting evaluators like should not just be called a steal because they come here. That we should be able to get kids like this and it not be considered a steal.

I agree that it's not a steal, but for a different reason. Mine revolves around how I perceive the use of the word. To me, in professional sports, a steal is someone who you were able to get who turns out to well exceed the capital you surrendered to get him. Like the Rangers getting Michael Young, their career hits leader, for Esteban Loaiza. Or the Tennessee Titans getting the AFC's leading rusher in 2016, Demarco Murray, for merely moving back 12 spots in the fourth round. Dirk for Robert Traylor, Spurs getting Kawhi Leonard for George Hill, Pats getting Brady in the 6th, etc.

Those, to me, are steals. Just like someone saying the car/truck they bought for several thousand less than the value they perceive it at was a steal. In both the vehicle and sports cases we aren't using the literal definition, but rather hyperbole. So for me, the recruiting equivalent would be getting a stud player without giving up much capital which, in recruiting, to me is effort and time recruiting that player.

Brelan Chancellor and Brandin Byrd were steals. All we had to do was offer and we got them, instead of spending countless hours outrecruiting other FBS schools to get them. Tee Goree was not a steal, IMO, because we had to bust our tails outrecruiting schools like La Tech, UTSA, and Colorado to get him. For a similar reason I would say Gibbs was not a steal because it looks and sounds like we did spend a significant amount of time and effort trying to get him on board with competition from multiple other FBS programs including a P5. 

So I think it just comes down to perception of the use of the word.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Why was it that he didn't have offers before us? Was it just he hadn't been to camps and transferring schools? 

7 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Why was it that he didn't have offers before us? Was it just he hadn't been to camps and transferring schools? 

I bet @GMG24 could answer better than I could, but I bet it's because he hadn't been to any other camps before coming to ours.   Littrell & Co. got to see him up-close first.
...although IIRC, GMG24 said Ball St or BGSU came through and offered him just before or just after we did.

8 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

This has happened with a number of these young men this year.  DeShaun White from Richland Hills is another good example of someone we offered early and first and then he blew up after summer camps.

• Lovely Take 1

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I bet @GMG24 could answer better than I could, but I bet it's because he hadn't been to any other camps before coming to ours.   Littrell & Co. got to see him up-close first.
...although IIRC, GMG24 said Ball St or BGSU came through and offered him just before or just after we did.

Bowling Green offered towards end of spring ball.  Every school loved him that came through, heck Baylor liked him a bunch and so did TCU.  TCU coach said every G5 school in nation was crazy for not banging his door down.  Harrell liked him a lot when he came to practice, they wanted to get him to camp so Reff and Littrell could see him with their eyes.  Film is only part of the story.  He does things that are just good football plays that you don't always see on film.  Reff spent some time talking to me after/during camp breaks about him and his character/work ethic etc.  I really think they're serious about getting kids in here who they can count on.  It all checked out and they went back and watched his tape again, called him that night and offered.  There is a lot that goes into this process.  We were third offer. Bowling Green 5/26, PVAMU 6/6, UNT 6/8, Midwestern State 6/9, after the A&M Commerce mega camp on June 17th picked up ULM 6/17 and Illinois 6/22.  Illinois had almost their entire staff at that camp their WR coach loved Jaxon and was the initial recruiter.  It's a weird game, but I'm glad he chose UNT. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Bowling Green offered towards end of spring ball.  Every school loved him that came through, heck Baylor liked him a bunch and so did TCU.  TCU coach said every G5 school in nation was crazy for not banging his door down.  Harrell liked him a lot when he came to practice, they wanted to get him to camp so Reff and Littrell could see him with their eyes.  Film is only part of the story.  He does things that are just good football plays that you don't always see on film.  Reff spent some time talking to me after/during camp breaks about him and his character/work ethic etc.  I really think they're serious about getting kids in here who they can count on.  It all checked out and they went back and watched his tape again, called him that night and offered.  There is a lot that goes into this process.  We were third offer. Bowling Green 5/26, PVAMU 6/6, UNT 6/8, Midwestern State 6/9, after the A&M Commerce mega camp on June 17th picked up ULM 6/17 and Illinois 6/22.  Illinois had almost their entire staff at that camp their WR coach loved Jaxon and was the initial recruiter.  It's a weird game, but I'm glad he chose UNT. 

I do think it's critical and important to bring in the "right" guys.. Jaxon seems like that. 

It will be interesting to see the comparisons of FAU vs UNT.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Leblanc is now our 5th best player in the class and no longer a 3* (.7943) and Larry Nixon is now our #3 rated commit at .7965 with him ahead of Bean at .7958

http://northtexas.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Commits

Also the OL from Houston, Brown went from the bottom of the class to into the middle.. A lot of the ratings for these guys just changed recently... with our class avg up to 78.82, with us now beating out 6 other programs

Edited by BTG_Fan1